How are the top 2008 JUCOs doing?

Here are last year's JUCO rebounding leaders. Joseph Fulce averaged almost the exact same numbers as Mbakwe this both in PPG and RPG. This is what Fulce is doing at Marquette this year.

Of course, the problem with all these JUCO numbers is that we have no idea how many minutes these guys are playing.

I don't really care about the stats, and here's why: players are judged on their individual skills, not the stats they have. If we went by that math, Bostick should have been a better player and had more of an impact than Paul Carter and that certainly hasn't happened.

In the case of Fulce, it depends upon who Marquette already had in the fold and what he specifically brings to the table. For instance, many folks believed that Mbakwe would have been either playing a lot or starting for Marquette this season. I don't know anything about Fulce and where he was rated either coming out of high school or the JUCO level, but I do know that Mbakwe was very highly thought of coming out of high school because of the skills he showcased when being evaluated.

Add in that Trevor has been playing for one of the nation's best JUCOs in Miami-Dade while also being named that league's player of the year and you might forgive me for thinking he'll come in and contribute.

In keeping with this line of thought, we really don't have a guy that fits what Mbakwe will bring us. Like I said earlier, I fully expect him to either start or play a lot. And I honestly believe he'll be a contributor next season. If he doesn't, then I'll be prepared to eat some crow. But until then, I'll stand by my expectations of him.

... does the production of this year's JUCOs decrease our expectations for Mbwake?

I think it does. But while reading about Bostick last year, I was at no time as impressed as I have been reading about Trevor Mbakwe's JUCO play. The guy was national JUCO Player-Of-The-Week and then was statistically even better the next week.

However, if Royce White and Trevor end up competing for the starting power forward spot next, I would give the edge to Royce, at this time.

Top Bottom