How about Dan Mullen?

The one problem, the only problem, the $ problem.

Howard schnellenberger

He made the U (Miami) and Louisville; both in far worse shape when he arrived then the U of M

I'm mystified by this perception that the SEC is a superior conference. You people listen too much to ESPN. Remember, the Big Ten has a .500 record against the SEC in the Capital One and Outback bowls. These games feature the 2nd and 3rd (actually usually the 3rd and 4th ranked) teams of each conferences. Yes, the SEC has had a little run of National Titles. But the truth is that the Big Ten is every bit as strong as the SEC (and is usually, in my opinion, deeper) from top to bottom.

This weird SEC worship is delusional and needs to end. The Big Ten plays 2nd fiddle to no one.

Also, Minnesota is a much better situation and job than Mississippi State. I mean, Starkville? C'mon.

So you offer as proof that the BigTen is better the fact that they have an equal record comparing 3's and 4's that is equal, but then admit that the 1's are have been better in the SEC? The BigTen may be deeper (up for discussion) but I would think one of the big factors in conference rankings is how strong are you top teams.

I'm mystified by this perception that the SEC is a superior conference. You people listen too much to ESPN. Remember, the Big Ten has a .500 record against the SEC in the Capital One and Outback bowls. These games feature the 2nd and 3rd (actually usually the 3rd and 4th ranked) teams of each conferences. Yes, the SEC has had a little run of National Titles. But the truth is that the Big Ten is every bit as strong as the SEC (and is usually, in my opinion, deeper) from top to bottom.

This weird SEC worship is delusional and needs to end. The Big Ten plays 2nd fiddle to no one.

Also, Minnesota is a much better situation and job than Mississippi State. I mean, Starkville? C'mon.

Minnesota is a much better job than Mississippi State. The advantages at Mississippi State unfortunately are what makes that job attractive.

Mississippi has way more football talent coming out yearly than Minnesota, and from the looks of it Mullen is dominating his state in terms of securing good talent. Also Miss State has low expectations, when you go 7-5 there you are going to get a 10 year contract extension.:p

The Big Ten is 11-10 against the SEC in bowl games since 2002. The perception is unfortunatley driven by tOSU getting drilled in a couple of BCS title games.

We got a lot of people sayin'. Just sayin'.

When I was a student at the 'U' in the early eighties, the Twin Cities campus had either the largest or second largest enrollment (depending on the year) in the U.S. I'm sure it continues to be near the top in that regard. So you have generated this enormous alumni base that, as we all know, is beyond starving for a winning football team. Though certainly biased, IMO this is a huge diamond in the rough job and a coach that can make us big winners would own this town. THIS is what we have to offer over most any other institution.

As an engineer, I'd rather build a bridge from scratch than maintain or remodel someone else's design. It's just infinitely more rewarding. Would you rather follow JoePa at Penn State and just keep that train rolling, or would you rather be JoePa?

MN not more enticing than MSU?

All right, so their jumbotron is a smidge bigger than ours, but ours is in a BRAND NEW STADIUM. Starkville vs. Minneapolis?? please, has anyone here ever been to Starkville? anyone? anyone? Buehler?? Does anyone even have an approximation as to what part of Mississippi Starkville is located?
Second favorite team in your own state or the only Div 1 team in your state?
To all you Gopher fans (and Ruesse haters, of which I am one) that have been beat down and discouraged - this job is WAY better than the MSU job. The right guy here can win and build a consistent winner, Ruesse is right for once. Aint gonna happen at Mississippi State. He'll come here if offered.

Starkville is a nice little town, but it is a little town (20,000ish). MS State is actually located in Mississippi State, MS; which is adjacent to Starkville. It is a pretty nice town and a very nice campus. Starkville is about as polar opposite as the Twin Cities could be.

Top Bottom