How about Dan Mullen?

positively4thstreet

Reaction score
Dan Mullen is an intriguing candidate to me. He's making noise in the SEC pretty quickly, and he seems to be a solid recruiter.

A few things, however:

1.) Would he even consider coming here? Is it too much of a (being generous) lateral move?
2.) He seems like a "coach on the rise", so to speak, would he bolt after a run of success?
3.) Has he accomplished enough to merit what would probably have to be significant raise?

Dan Mullen is an intriguing candidate to me. He's making noise in the SEC pretty quickly, and he seems to be a solid recruiter

A few things, however:

1.) Would he even consider coming here? Is it too much of a (being generous) lateral move?
2.) He seems like a "coach on the rise", so to speak, would he bolt after a run of success?
3.) Has he accomplished enough to merit what would probably have to be significant raise?

He's going to be a very very hot coaching prospect if MSU continues to play well this year.
He'd need to see the Big Ten as an opportunity to win big, which regardless of how well he coaches, won't happen with programs like Florida, LSU, Georgia, Alabama in the SEC.
If we load up the money truck and he see's the Big Ten as winnable compared to the SEC we might have a chance. He's got no ties to the south beyond his time at florida, Minneapolis is probably a nicer city than Starkville(don't know, never been).

After some digging, it looks like he makes about $1.2 million. We could probably up that a fair amount.

After some digging, it looks like he makes about $1.2 million. We could probably up that a fair amount.

You would have to believe MSU would give him a new contract at the end of the season. Still, I'm sure we could compete. It would all boil down to where he wants to be.

You would have to believe MSU would give him a new contract at the end of the season. Still, I'm sure we could compete. It would all boil down to where he wants to be.

Well, once upon a time we lured away another coach from MSU, and it seemed to work out OK for him.

I would be very happy with Dan Mullen or about ten of the other coaches who's names have been thrown around.

Not that we have any say, but I think the vast majority of posters on this board are waaaay to particular in their criteria. I'm not saying we shouyld "settle", I just don't think that the likes of Dan Mullen qualify as settling.

Mullen does look good...

Dan Mullen is an intriguing candidate to me. He's making noise in the SEC pretty quickly, and he seems to be a solid recruiter.

A few things, however:

Of those with limited HC experience (Shannon, Sumlin, Calhoun, Golden, etc), Mullen looks very interesting. In his second year at Mississippi State, he's 7-2, having knocked off both Georgia and Florida and losing by only 14-17 to Auburn. OC at Florida those great years, his defense is ranked 34th this year (we are 92nd). A coach good on both offense and defense, relatively young, doing well in a brutal conference would seem good Big Ten material. They love him down there, though - so would he leave?

Is MN a better job than MSU? I just can't see why a guy would leave a relatively similar program that he has already built into a success to come to MN.

Is MN a better job than MSU? I just can't see why a guy would leave a relatively similar program that he has already built into a success to come to MN.
More money, easier conference, better facilities.

I would rather have Hardaway or Spree. He could shoot the three with the best of them, but his haircut bothers me.

I would guess they are probably viewed pretty similiar right now. The question would be in the future which teams do you think you could unseat from conference division; dominance Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas or Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa,? Personally I would take my chances in the big ten. He has victories over Georgia and Florida while they are in down years, sometimes you take the money and run!

I can give you 1,000,000 additional reasons.

If we can snatch him from MSU after only 2 Seasons I don't want him here...

If we can snatch him from MSU after only 2 Seasons I don't want him here...

Care to expand? Because it seems like our choices are snatch an up and comer who has shown some HC accumen on top of a solid coordinator base or take a retread, out of work HC, or less exciting HC moving laterally or (maybe) upward. And Mullen would seem to be one of the better choices out there for the first option.

Chris and Mullin

I would rather have Hardaway or Spree. He could shoot the three with the best of them, but his haircut bothers me.

not Dan and Mullen. But a "C" for effort.

1213106244.jpg

I'm on board with Dan Mullen. Solid job in 1.5 years at Mississippi State. Former Florida offensive coordinator. Head Coaching experience. Young. Doesn't appear to have a university he'd 'Notre Dame' clause. We can get him more money, and an arguably better situation.

Ok, he's young, and perhaps he's a product of the system under Urban Meyer. But I'm willing to take that chance, it's much less chance than Minnesota took last time. He can apparently coach. He can apparently recruit.

And the last two coaches that had Mississippi State on the resume when they lead the Maroon and Gold...well, they did just fine.

He's definitely a guy that should get a phone call. He's not a Tubby Smith type hire (with a national championship), but he could be a Jim Harbaugh kind of hire for Minnesota. Whoever we bring in, needs to be a proven head coach at some level. Mullen is doing that, plus he's had success as the OC at a successful BCS school, and studied under an Urban Legend.

Brew was 7-2 his second year, and ranked #20 in country. Just sayin'...

But that was before the Big Ten schedule fully kicked in...remember 0-55 to Iowa at home?

I would love Mullen, but as someone mentioned earlier, I can't believe he would leave an SEC school after less than two years. Also, MSU has been terrible for awhile, and they've got some serious boosters. They're not going to just let him go away - they will pony up some big money if in fact he pursues this gig.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this is nearly as unlikely has Harbaugh, Patterson, and Peterson.

End of Thread.
He has beaten Memphis (terrible)
Georgia (sub .500 and without their best player when they played them).
Alcorn State (FCS)
Houston (in one of the first games without Case Keenum)
UAB (3-5)
Florida (good win)
Kentucky (4-5, 1-5)

If you wanna crown him, crown him. If they finish 7-5 you all might be thinking differently about him.

He's going to be a very very hot coaching prospect if MSU continues to play well this year.
He'd need to see the Big Ten as an opportunity to win big, which regardless of how well he coaches, won't happen with programs like Florida, LSU, Georgia, Alabama in the SEC.
If we load up the money truck and he see's the Big Ten as winnable compared to the SEC we might have a chance. He's got no ties to the south beyond his time at florida, Minneapolis is probably a nicer city than Starkville(don't know, never been).

I'm mystified by this perception that the SEC is a superior conference. You people listen too much to ESPN. Remember, the Big Ten has a .500 record against the SEC in the Capital One and Outback bowls. These games feature the 2nd and 3rd (actually usually the 3rd and 4th ranked) teams of each conferences. Yes, the SEC has had a little run of National Titles. But the truth is that the Big Ten is every bit as strong as the SEC (and is usually, in my opinion, deeper) from top to bottom.

This weird SEC worship is delusional and needs to end. The Big Ten plays 2nd fiddle to no one.

Also, Minnesota is a much better situation and job than Mississippi State. I mean, Starkville? C'mon.

End of Thread.
Alcorn State (FCS)
UAB (3-5)
Florida (good win)
Kentucky (4-5, 1-5)

If you wanna crown him, crown him. If they finish 7-5 you all might be thinking differently about him.

dennis_green_feature.jpg

Originally Posted by Ozzy&Ray View Post
End of Thread.
Alcorn State (FCS)
UAB (3-5)
Florida (good win)
Kentucky (4-5, 1-5)

That's too iffy unless lots of guys and then a couple more say no. Isn't it?

Top Bottom