Horton on KFAN

Clyde Tester

Reaction score
Horton being interviewed by P.A. on KFAN right now. FYI. Likely available via podcast later.

Appreciate it if anyone can recap - thanks

Oh, now the interview a Gopher football coach! LOL.

PA just spent a few minutes talking about the Frazier to the U possibility.

The impression is that he could fit in here and do well immediately both on the sidelines and on the recruiting trail. Obviously, though, PA doubts that 'descending' to the college level would not be a wise move by Frazier.

Yea but

Would Frazier just quit the vikings? And the gophers can wait around for him to complete the vikings season. Neither makes sense.

Would Frazier just quit the vikings? And the gophers can wait around for him to complete the vikings season. Neither makes sense.

Ive said it before, but I think an agreement could be reached to have him accept the job, and simply finish out the year with the Vikes before formally taking on Gopher responsibilities.

I'd worry about that agreement, though. What if the Vikes go to the SB? That leaves Frazier with job responsibilities until February ... and by then, signing day is upon us. Gotta have someone who is available to start and have a staff in place by early December.

I'll have to check out the podcast. This is a good opportunity for Horton, it's really no lose. He's probably a very long shot to become the permanent HD here, but this is like a national audition. He has some HC experience, he had winning seasons his first two seasons as a HC, but the last 4 were bad. If he has any success at all here, it could land him back in a HC job if he wanted to go back that route. Granted, if he got another HC job, it wouldn't be at the same level that he could get an OC job.

I'd worry about that agreement, though. What if the Vikes go to the SB? That leaves Frazier with job responsibilities until February ... and by then, signing day is upon us. Gotta have someone who is available to start and have a staff in place by early December.

I agree, not a viable option. Not being available into early January would not work.

The only way it would work is if Frazier steps down as DC mid way through the season. I would have no problem with that.

Another perk of the Frazier hire would be that is KFAN endorsed....

If Frazier is coaching the Vikes in the Super Bowl, then he won't have to recruit a lot of young men, especially Minnesota boys. All they have to know is that Frazier will be the coach, and they can check out what he's all about by watching the Super Bowl.

But you're right, it isn't the ideal way to deal with things. The timing puts us behind schedule if the Vikings go to the Super Bowl.

A head coach's role in recruiting should be as a figure head only. Anything more than that and your seven-figure employee is doing the sort of work an hourly intern can do.

A head coach's role in recruiting should be as a figure head only. Anything more than that and your seven-figure employee is doing the sort of work an hourly intern can do.

An intern can recruit?

The head coach's role in recruiting should be that when he walks into a living room of a recruit, the recruit craps his pants. He's the deal-sealer.

I can't remember who the Minnesota kid who went to Northwestern when Barnett was there, but I was talking to someone familiar with the situation and when Barnett came in the front door, the family knew they were dealing with the "real deal."

If Frazier is coaching the Vikes in the Super Bowl, then he won't have to recruit a lot of young men, especially Minnesota boys. All they have to know is that Frazier will be the coach, and they can check out what he's all about by watching the Super Bowl.

But you're right, it isn't the ideal way to deal with things. The timing puts us behind schedule if the Vikings go to the Super Bowl.

This can't happen because than the whole "it's the Vikings fault" argument would have some merit.

The head coach's role in recruiting should be that when he walks into a living room of a recruit, the recruit craps his pants. He's the deal-sealer.

I can't remember who the Minnesota kid who went to Northwestern when Barnett was there, but I was talking to someone familiar with the situation and when Barnett came in the front door, the family knew they were dealing with the "real deal."

Was it Javier Collins?

Oh, and head coaching plays a major part in recruiting. They don't do the initial grunt work, but they are usually the ones who "land" the major players.

Was it Javier Collins?

Oh, and head coaching plays a major part in recruiting. They don't do the initial grunt work, but they are usually the ones who "land" the major players.

May have been or it could have been the Miller kid from Buffalo.

I agree Bobster, that the head coach is going to make the key calls and the key visits at some point in the recruiting process. It starts from the ground up, but I doubt many recruits commit without at least a call from the guy in the big chair.

If Frazier is the next head coach, what about Pat Williams as defensive line coach? Many people think this will be his last year in the Pro's.

If Frazier is the next head coach, what about Pat Williams as defensive line coach? Many people think this will be his last year in the Pro's.

Kids wouldn't understand a word he was saying. We would need an interpreter and that is not in the budget.

LSU seems to get pretty good DLine play, Williams could just recruit from his neck of the woods. It would be a win, win, win. Increased talent, Pat could coach them up in his language, they could speak that language on the field and the other team wouldn't understand.

Super Bowl, lol!

Ok sorry for laughing, wtf let's dream a little. Frazier could name his staff at once & have them begin recruiting & then take over at the end of the season. If the Vikings season does go all he way until February I'd think it'd be an easy sell......"Hi, is this Joe 4*? Yeah this is Coach Frazier, sorry I had to send one of the position coaches to meet your family, I'm currently game planning for the Super Bowl, have you heard of it? Yeah, well maybe you can even watch us in action & see how we'll be doing things at the U?"

LSU seems to get pretty good DLine play, Williams could just recruit from his neck of the woods. It would be a win, win, win. Increased talent, Pat could coach them up in his language, they could speak that language on the field and the other team wouldn't understand.

Okay that might just work. Whoever runs the tackling drills for the Vikings is who they need to hire. Viking players know how to tackle and do it well. That is the main reason they won that game yesterday with all the one on one swing passes Dallas threw.

Top Bottom