Hole Poll: What bowl game do you think the Gophers will play in?

• TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Texas Bowl

Votes: 74 54.0%
  • Heart of Dallas Bowl

Votes: 22 16.1%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

We're going back to Houston. Let's hope we can win this year!

I know it's wrong to complain based on recent struggles and then our remarkable turnaround. However, we're probably bound for the Texas Bowl (my prediction) again or, worse, the Heart of Texas Bowl (my fear) to play a C-USA team in front of 60,000 empty seats. This team deserves a greater reward for what it accomplished.

I picked the Gator Bowl as there are several teams that they could potentially take. Why not us? Plus if the B10 can get a second BCS team, that would bump everybody up.

Texas bowl. Too bad.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

I'm HOPING for Gator, as NYD would be awesome. Realistically, it'll likely be 20 minutes away at Reliant again.

Texas Bowl.

2 will get into BCS. (OSU and MSU/WIS)
Cap One: MSU or WIS
Outback: Iowa
Gator: Nebraska
BWW: Michigan
Texas: Minnesota

We'll probably play Texas Tech (blech!) or K-State.

In this scenario I say we get BWW or Gator Bowl.

Whom do you think we'll be picked above? We're only higher than Michigan in the standings -- but Michigan beat us and is coming off of a near upset of a top team.

We haven't scored a touchdown in 10 quarters.

With Iowa, Nebraska, and MN all sitting at 8-4......and Michigan sitting at 7-5......who knows how this all shakes out. The bowls get to select who they'd like. Yes, we lost to Iowa and Michigan......but Nebraska lost to Iowa and us. Michigan on the other hand beat us and lost to Iowa and Nebraska. It's all very confusing. If the bowl selection committees are looking for offensive firepower (more than likely) we will probably be the odd team out.

With Iowa, Nebraska, and MN all sitting at 8-4......and Michigan sitting at 7-5......who knows how this all shakes out. The bowls get to select who they'd like. Yes, we lost to Iowa and Michigan......but Nebraska lost to Iowa and us. Michigan on the other hand beat us and lost to Iowa and Nebraska. It's all very confusing. If the bowl selection committees are looking for offensive firepower (more than likely) we will probably be the odd team out.

Don't forget, Iowa and Nebraska both have better conference records than we do. Our chances at landing the Gator Bowl are extremely thin.

If Michigan State or Wisconsin get's a BCS bowl(better chance now that Fresno State lost) could easily end up in the Gator Bowl.

Don't forget, Iowa and Nebraska both have better conference records than we do. Our chances at landing the Gator Bowl are extremely thin.

That's true. If that's the case however.....isn't Michigan still sitting on the outside looking in with a 3-5 B10 record?

If Michigan State or Wisconsin get's a BCS bowl(better chance now that Fresno State lost) could easily end up in the Gator Bowl.

Considering it's almost a lock that the B1G gets two BCS teams now (does anyone really disagree with this?), I'd say it's pretty simple at this point: will the Gator Bowl take 7-5 (3-5) Michigan over 8-4 (4-4) Minnesota? A couple weeks ago I would've said no, but at this point I'd say it's a near certainty. The national reputation of the two teams isn't even close, and Minnesota can't seem to shake the "doesn't travel well" reputation. Combined with our lackluster offense the last two weeks (granted, against two VERY good team) and Michigan's ridiculously entertaining near upset of OSU today, I'd say all signs point to Houston again. It's a bit disappointing considering the 8-2 start, but all things considered, it isn't a bad place for the Gophers to land. We'll likely get another evenly-matched game against a major conference team in prime time on ESPN. I'm OK with that. I won't be going (and probably would've went to Jacksonville), but it's an OK outcome for the season.

That's true. If that's the case however.....isn't Michigan still sitting on the outside looking in with a 3-5 B10 record?
If they were Illinois, or Purdue, or NW, sure thing. It doesn't work that way if you've got a good reputation. The Gophers have gotten screwed in the bowl selection process numerous times, and I expect it'll happen again.

The sad part is that the Texas Bowl isn't a bad bowl. However, it's not on NYD, and the casual fan (and snarky columnist) is going to use that against the program, making it look like no progress was made this year. The reality is that the 6-6 Gophers really had no business in that game last year (even though they had it won), but sanctions against OSU and PSU bumped them up two slots.

Texas Bowl.

2 will get into BCS. (OSU and MSU/WIS)
Cap One: MSU or WIS
Outback: Iowa
Gator: Nebraska
BWW: Michigan
Texas: Minnesota

We'll probably play Texas Tech (blech!) or K-State.

I believe BWW picks ahead of Gator so NE goes there. Gator gets to choose between MI and MN and Texas gets the other. This assumes 2 B1G teams in the BCS.

Most likely MI gets picked for Gator. That's OK cuz Texas Bowl has higher viewership than 11am ESPN2 Gator bowl.

If we end up in Houston again and although a small consolation as compared to a NYD in Florida, we'd probably get a more winnable opponent and would be the only show on that night. Trying to think positive here.

Go Gophers!

Im thinkin since Wisconsin is gonna lose that its the Texas bowl again.

Which conference would we play if Texas Bowl?

WI loss could push us to Heart of Dallas bowl if MSU doesn't get at-large BCS bowl (real possibility if No.IL & UCF both get bids). HOD is on Jan. 1st. , but is not a NYD Bowl. It is against Conf-USA and on ESPN-U. Ick.

MSU should get a BCS bid. A team that lost ONE game by three against ND should be offered. Plus they kind of got screwed in that game. Flawless Big Ten regular season with every win by double digits.

If Michigan State stays eligible they won't have much competition for the final BCS spot.

I assume they move up a couple spots in the standings......making them a top 10 BCS team. I doubt a loss to OSU would drop them out.

As long as OSU beats MSU in the BCG......we will have two in the BCS I would think.

Top Bottom