Hoff: 5 pts, 3 TOs in 37 minutes

dboy

Banned
Reaction score
from our 2-guard?

if he can't get open looks, he needs to sit.

some of the open 3's the other teams get in the 2/3 are because of Hoff's lack of foot speed and length up on the top of that zone.

from our 2-guard?

some of the open 3's the other teams get in the 2/3 are because of Hoff's lack of foot speed and length up on the top of that zone.

Who would you have rather be out there? Hoff is a threat at any point, and pulls people away from the basket so that RS3 can have nights like he had.

if hoff can't get looks, we are playing 4-on-4 on offense.

which is fine..

But that puts them 5-on-4.5 when they have the ball.

advantage Purdue.

only way to offset the 5-on-4.5 is for Hoff to put up 15 points... > 15 and its our advantage.

only way to offset the 5-on-4.5 is for Hoff to put up 15 points... > 15 and its our advantage.
If that's what you really think, you're more ridiculous than I previously thought.

Why do you think our bigs were getting 1 on 1 open looks? They couldn't come close to doubling because Hoff was on the wing, and they stuck on him like glue. We have anyone else out there, Painter and Purdue would've been doubling a LOT more.

In regards to your 2nd point, Hoff only played the top in the zone for about 1 possession all game. He was on the baseline wing for 95% of the game...weren't you even watching it?

db

from our 2-guard?

Who did get open looks last night?

Westbrook didn't light it up either. Should we sit them both? Then what?

Purdue's perimeter dee was pretty darn good.

The big boys were good last night but there were a few times where Hoff got himself wide open on the wing and they didn't see him. They need to get better at spitting it back out to him and the strategy works better.

I didn't see the game but I think your observation is correct. Hoffarber and Westbrook just aren't as good as Purdure's guards. Suprerior talent usually wins. The matchup with Purdure is to Perdue's advantage. Sounds like they played a good game and had a very good chance to win. That is to the Gophs credit.

westbrook can put it on deck and get into the middle of the D.. he also closes out better on D. Hoff can do neither.

If that's what you really think, you're more ridiculous than I previously thought.

Why do you think our bigs were getting 1 on 1 open looks? They couldn't come close to doubling because Hoff was on the wing, and they stuck on him like glue. We have anyone else out there, Painter and Purdue would've been doubling a LOT more.

In regards to your 2nd point, Hoff only played the top in the zone for about 1 possession all game. He was on the baseline wing for 95% of the game...weren't you even watching it?

whether Hoff plays on top or the wing, they are obviously 'hiding' him on D.. Robbie hit two 3's early from the corners... in Hoff's craw? lets go to the tape.

so Hoff is a 'decoy' on offense?.. much like a great WR like Randy Moss opening up the running game? only problem is Hoff, unlike Moss, then needs to go back and play D.

(i'm trying real hard not to turn into a 'board whore' here.. so please stop with the insults.. )

westy

westbrook can put it on deck and get into the middle of the D.. he also closes out better on D. Hoff can do neither.

Yes, Westy can, but he did not last night.

This is the first time I recall anyone on GH praising Westy for his dee!

Yes, Westy can, but he did not last night.

This is the first time I recall anyone on GH praising Westy for his dee!

he did not last night? too bad you missed the final 30 seconds because he had a sweet jump hook in the lane to give us our last bucket.

not praising his dee, just his close out speed.

You have to be kidding.

Westbrook is one of our worst defensive players. Look at Tubby's quote in the paper last week; the reason Westbrook rides the bench in some games is because he doesn't play defense: "He's gotta defend better," Smith said. "It's as simple as that. If he defended better, he'd be on the court."

Hoffarber typically plays more than Westbrook because he defends and rebounds better. If Westbrook has an off night shooting, he sits because he doesn't do anything else very well. Even if Hoffarber he isn't getting as many shots, he still gets clock because the offense flows better with him in the game, he isn't selfish with the ball, makes the right passes, draws the defense by being the top shooter in the country, and rebounds very well for his size.

It's not rocket science why Tubby plays Hoffarber the most minutes on the team.

LOL

he did not last night? too bad you missed the final 30 seconds because he had a sweet jump hook in the lane to give us our last bucket.

Too bad you missed the first 39 minutes and 30 seconds of the game.

Westy was smothered and ineffectual last night. 2 of 6 from the field with zero free throw attempts. 2 of 6 means that outside the shot you mentioned he was 1 of 5.

I had a perfect view of his last of two field goals.

I was in section 201 for not just the last 30 seconds but the whole forty minutes.

This thread=completely dumb

I'm not by any means comparing Hoff to the likes of Lebron, but the numbers Hoff has put up this year means he must be on the court. Purdue obviously didn't want Hoff to beat us so they stuck on him like white on rice. When Lebron shoots 20 times a game, only makes 3 and scores under 10 points, are you yelling that he shouldn't play? Hoff is about the only guy I always want on the floor because I'm confident the kid can make a shot.

Sweet jump hook? He completely short armed that release. The expression on his face was priceless.

It does seem a lot of the GH wants to throw the team under the bus when they lose and not give ANY credit to the other team. Yep, Hoff and Westbrook were shut down but it was by the fact the Purdue d was right up in them the whole game. Those are the games Sampson will be big and he was fantastic last night. Disappointed he didn't get many looks from down low in last few min though. Johnson was gassed for Purdue. Colton has to get more creative in the low post. Too many times SIII hit him 4 feet from the hole and Colton wasn't looking to score.

Have to make a run to the B10 Championship game now and I don't think anyone thinks that is happening. But a loss at home with 2 Purdue starters out for parts of the game.....NIT is where we belong this year.

This thread=completely dumb

I'm not by any means comparing Hoff to the likes of Lebron, but the numbers Hoff has put up this year means he must be on the court. Purdue obviously didn't want Hoff to beat us so they stuck on him like white on rice. When Lebron shoots 20 times a game, only makes 3 and scores under 10 points, are you yelling that he shouldn't play? Hoff is about the only guy I always want on the floor because I'm confident the kid can make a shot.

but LeBron can play D... ( sound of me banging my head against the wall )
the whole point is when hoff isn't hitting shots, he's a huge hole in the D on the other end.

Too bad you missed the first 39 minutes and 30 seconds of the game.

Westy was smothered and ineffectual last night. 2 of 6 from the field with zero free throw attempts. 2 of 6 means that outside the shot you mentioned he was 1 of 5.

I had a perfect view of his last of two field goals.

I was in section 201 for not just the last 30 seconds but the whole forty minutes.

why are you talking about Westie? ( sound of me banging head against wall... again ).

Sweet jump hook? He completely short armed that release. The expression on his face was priceless.

It does seem a lot of the GH wants to throw the team under the bus when they lose and not give ANY credit to the other team. Yep, Hoff and Westbrook were shut down but it was by the fact the Purdue d was right up in them the whole game. Those are the games Sampson will be big and he was fantastic last night. Disappointed he didn't get many looks from down low in last few min though. Johnson was gassed for Purdue. Colton has to get more creative in the low post. Too many times SIII hit him 4 feet from the hole and Colton wasn't looking to score.

Have to make a run to the B10 Championship game now and I don't think anyone thinks that is happening. But a loss at home with 2 Purdue starters out for parts of the game.....NIT is where we belong this year.

Sampson didn't get good looks the last few mins because Purdue upped their D and came way out to guard.. no easy hi/low feeds.

the whole point is when hoff isn't hitting shots, he's a huge hole in the D on the other end.
You obviously didn't read what I just wrote, nor what Tubby said.

Hoff plays more than the others BECAUSE he can play D, and is smarter on the defensive end than Westbrook, Devoe, or any other guard for that matter.

Tubby, being a more defensive-minded coach than almost any coach out there, wouldn't play Hoffarber the most minutes on the team if he was weak defensively (hence the reason that Westbrook, Joseph, Bostick, Cobbs, etc. all sit down often for defensive lapses).

( sound of me banging head against wall... again ).

Knock yourself out. No seriously. Please. Knock yourself out, "<b>baller</b>." Then we wouldn't have to listen to your ill-informed, never-ending fulmination against Blake.

You have to be kidding.

Westbrook is one of our worst defensive players. Look at Tubby's quote in the paper last week; the reason Westbrook rides the bench in some games is because he doesn't play defense: "He's gotta defend better," Smith said. "It's as simple as that. If he defended better, he'd be on the court."

Hoffarber typically plays more than Westbrook because he defends and rebounds better. If Westbrook has an off night shooting, he sits because he doesn't do anything else very well. Even if Hoffarber he isn't getting as many shots, he still gets clock because the offense flows better with him in the game, he isn't selfish with the ball, makes the right passes, draws the defense by being the top shooter in the country, and rebounds very well for his size.

It's not rocket science why Tubby plays Hoffarber the most minutes on the team.

"he still gets clock because:

1.) the offense flows better with him in the game <<< the only 'flow' is away from him.
2.) he isn't selfish with the ball << he gets a touch every 5th trip so how can he be selfish?.
3.) makes the right passes << he passes right back to Devoe.
4.) draws the defense by being the top shooter in the country <<< so? everyone draws some D.
5.) and rebounds very well for his size << weakside D rebounds that my mom could fetch.

Sampson didn't get good looks the last few mins because Purdue upped their D and came way out to guard.. no easy hi/low feeds.

Most of the time when we run hi/low it's RIII hi. RIII gets most of his looks from the wing. dboy, that's the part of the floor to the left or right of the lane (the big rectangle surrounding the basket).

the rest of the game doesnt matter, the stupid foul in the last minute that he committed that put them up 1 more because of the freethrow lost us the game.

Dumb post by dboy. If we had someone better on defense, who could handle the ball, who could shoot, who could rebound, who could set a pick worth anything...tubby would play them.

the rest of the game doesnt matter, the stupid foul in the last minute that he committed that put them up 1 more because of the freethrow lost us the game.

It was a bad foul, I agree. And yes, we lost by one point. But do you think you might be overstating it just a bit? I do.

It's just like any close game, you can point to a dozen plays that if they were different we "would have" won.

Don't understand the people that criticize Hoffarber. He is a very good college basketball player and has been a great shooter all year. He is what every good team needs. He rebounds well for his size, he can pass and he is by far the biggest threat on the outside for the Gophers. When he does get shut down, you can be sure other players are benefiting from the attention he is receiving. (See Sampson, 21 points)

He does not have NBA quickness. Big effin deal. Kid could play for almost anyone in the country.

Don't understand the people that criticize Hoffarber. He is a very good college basketball player and has been a great shooter all year. He is what every good team needs. He rebounds well for his size, he can pass and he is by far the biggest threat on the outside for the Gophers. When he does get shut down, you can be sure other players are benefiting from the attention he is receiving. (See Sampson, 21 points)

He does not have NBA quickness. Big effin deal. Kid could play for almost anyone in the country.

Totally agree. Not to mention that he gives 110%, seems to have a very high b-ball IQ, seems to be a consummate team player, is not a whiner, is an excellent student and has not ever been in trouble. Now that's the kind of guy I can root for. Oh, and he's one of us too.

The Gophers have lost games for a lot of reasons this year. Blake Hoffarber would not appear in the top 100 reasons. Give me a break.

Top Bottom