History of Transfer Portal Commitment Dates - 2024 Version

Oatmeal Savage

Reaction score
The transfer portal officially opens tomorrow Monday, March 18th and has a closure date this year: May 1. The condensed schedule should make it more interesting and hopefully will make clear things up before the summer.

Spring 2021 - Ben Johnson hired March 22Commitment Date
TP Departures (10) - Carr, Kalscheur, Robbins, Mashburn Jr., Gach, Williams, Johnson, Freeman, Mitchell, Omersa
Jamison BattleMarch 29
EJ StephensApril 2
Luke LoeweApril 2
Sean SutherlinApril 11
Parker FoxApril 15
Payton WillisApril 16
Charlie DanielsMay 20
Danny OgeleJuly 17
Will RambergAugust 23
Spring 2022 - Opened ~March 8Commitment Date
TP Departures (1) - Thiam
Dawson GarciaApril 18
Ta’lon CooperApril 20
Taurus SamuelsMay 9
Spring 2023 - Opened March 13Commitment Date
TP Departures (4): Battle, Cooper, Henley, Thompson
Mike Mitchell Jr.March 29
Jack WilsonApril 13
Elijah HawkinsMay 8
Spring 2024 (March 18 - May 1)Commitment Date
TP Departures ():

Good info. Hopefully this will keep people from freaking out when we don't have 3 transfer commitments by April 1st, but we'll see. I remember the meltdown when Jack Wilson committed, under the assumption that no one who committed after him would be any good.

Good info. Hopefully this will keep people from freaking out when we don't have 3 transfer commitments by April 1st, but we'll see. I remember the meltdown when Jack Wilson committed, under the assumption that no one who committed after him would be any good.
To be fair, our May signings prior to Hawkins were Charlie Daniels and Taurus Samuels. Somewhat understandable considering that is later than when most have signed with Ben in the Spring. April seems to be the bulk of the quality signings. This is probably why so many (including myself) freaked out when they signed Wilson in mid-April. As we saw, Wilson is more of a late signing period level of player similar to Danny Ogele. A real backup at Center was desperately needed and it felt they settled way too early. Thanks again to the OP for making this, very good reference!

The transfer portal officially opens tomorrow Monday, March 18th and has a closure date this year: May 1. The condensed schedule should make it more interesting and hopefully will make clear things up before the summer.

Spring 2021 - Ben Johnson hired March 22Commitment Date
TP Departures (10) - Carr, Kalscheur, Robbins, Mashburn Jr., Gach, Williams, Johnson, Freeman, Mitchell, Omersa
Jamison BattleMarch 29
EJ StephensApril 2
Luke LoeweApril 2
Sean SutherlinApril 11
Parker FoxApril 15
Payton WillisApril 16
Charlie DanielsMay 20
Danny OgeleJuly 17
Will RambergAugust 23
Spring 2022 - Opened ~March 8Commitment Date
TP Departures (1) - Thiam
Dawson GarciaApril 18
Ta’lon CooperApril 20
Taurus SamuelsMay 9
Spring 2023 - Opened March 13Commitment Date
TP Departures (4): Battle, Cooper, Henley, Thompson
Mike Mitchell Jr.March 29
Jack WilsonApril 13
Elijah HawkinsMay 8
Spring 2024 (March 18 - May 1)Commitment Date
TP Departures ():
Thanks for putting this together

As we saw, Wilson is more of a late signing period level of player similar to Danny Ogele. A real backup at Center was desperately needed and it felt they settled way too early. Thanks again to the OP for making this, very good reference!

A name that will live in infamy. Charlie Daniels may have set the Mendoza line for big men but Danny set what has to be the imaginable floor. I guess Jack was somewhere in between but at least he was a crowd favorite.

Definitely agree with the settling part and the gratitude for Oatmeal Savage.

A name that will live in infamy. Charlie Daniels may have set the Mendoza line for big men but Danny set what has to be the imaginable floor. I guess Jack was somewhere in between but at least he was a crowd favorite.

Definitely agree with the settling part and the gratitude for Oatmeal Savage.
There is no comparison between Charlie Daniels and Jack Wilson.

Daniels played in 29 games and averaged 11 minutes per game. Jack Wilson played fewer minutes than Danny Ogele.

There is no comparison between Charlie Daniels and Jack Wilson.

Daniels played in 29 games and averaged 11 minutes per game. Jack Wilson played fewer minutes than Danny Ogele.

I didn't say Daniels and Wilson were comparable. I said that Daniels set the entry line for a poor big men, Ogele set the absolute floor, and Wilson was somewhere in between.

Daniels' minutes that season were reflective of how terrible our front line was that year. That was on the list of Ben Johnson's greatest recruiting failures.

I didn't say Daniels and Wilson were comparable. I said that Daniels set the entry line for a poor big men, Ogele set the absolute floor, and Wilson was somewhere in between.

Daniels' minutes that season were reflective of how terrible our front line was that year. That was on the list of Ben Johnson's greatest recruiting failures.
I understood your point. Wilson was not between them, he is under Ogele. He is the floor. He played less than Ogele.

Of course Daniels' minutes are reflective of an awful team. I get that. Charlie Daniels' collegiate numbers (here and Stephen F. Austin) are also WAY better than Jack Wilson's.

I understood your point. Wilson was not between them, he is under Ogele. He is the floor. He played less than Ogele.

Of course Daniels' minutes are reflective of an awful team. I get that. Charlie Daniels' collegiate numbers (here and Stephen F. Austin) are also WAY better than Jack Wilson's.

I'm not sure why you're determined to have an argument about whether or not Jack Wilson is worse than Danny Ogele but I'm not playing.

I'm not sure why you're determined to have an argument about whether or not Jack Wilson is worse than Danny Ogele but I'm not playing.
Because there is a delusion around this guy that people still won't admit. You made a point to say he is somehow between Ogele and Daniels. He is not.

A player of Daniels' ability is okay if they are 9th/10th off the bench.

Because there is a delusion around this guy that people still won't admit. You made a point to say he is somehow between Ogele and Daniels. He is not.

I think that you need to look in the mirror when talking about delusion. You have harbored what appears to be borderline hate for the Wilson pick up from day 1 and have gone to great lengths to share your opinion. No one has ever said that Wilson was the second coming of Shaq.

The fact of the matter is that we have no idea what Wilson would have done if he would have played the same minutes as Daniels under some scenario where both Payne and Garcia were not just injured but not even on the team.

You are trying to compare the two players by looking at their stats on two completely different teams. Just let it rest. Wilson will be gone soon and you can relax.

So your mission is to convert anyone who might have some level of delusion about Jack Wilson's abilities? Seems like a pretty trivial pursuit to me. I'm not aware of anyone who thinks he's actually close to good.

Look, you're just looking for a fight and you don't care how pointless or trivial the fight may be. You'll have to look elsewhere to find an outlet for your aggression.

I think that you need to look in the mirror when talking about delusion. You have harbored what appears to be borderline hate for the Wilson pick up from day 1 and have gone to great lengths to share your opinion. No one has ever said that Wilson was the second coming of Shaq.

The fact of the matter is that we have no idea what Wilson would have done if he would have played the same minutes as Daniels under some scenario where both Payne and Garcia were not just injured but not even on the team.

You are trying to compare the two players by looking at their stats on two completely different teams. Just let it rest. Wilson will be gone soon and you can relax.
And I've been 100% correct the entire time. I realize no one has compared him to Shaq, but people should not be even comparing him to Charlie Daniels.

Of course we have no idea if Wilson would have been as good as Daniels. All we can go by is the information that we have. From every piece of information we have, including their years of basketball prior to coming to MN, Daniels is a far superior player to Wilson. This is statistically not even close.

Why are you clinging to the idea that Wilson could be good? There is no reason for this rationale. Why not Ogele? Maybe Ogele was great but just buried behind Sutherlin, EJ Stephens, and Loewe? Why doesn't anyone argue that?

So your mission is to convert anyone who might have some level of delusion about Jack Wilson's abilities? Seems like a pretty trivial pursuit to me. I'm not aware of anyone who thinks he's actually close to good.

Look, you're just looking for a fight and you don't care how pointless or trivial the fight may be. You'll have to look elsewhere to find an outlet for your aggression.
Nope, but this is a message board. When people say things that you disagree with, you usually verbalize those disagreements.

The Jack Wilson stuff has been bizarre since day #1. People have been okay with ripping on recruits like Taurus Samuels, Danny Ogele, Gaston Diedhou but for whatever reason Jack Wilson is a sacred cow.

You made a point about Jack Wilson that I disagreed with, it's a message board.

The Fiddler could play a little. We're lucky we had him that season. Danny saw the floor only because of the overall weakness of the roster and such limited depth. He would never be offered a spot on a mediocre roster like the one we have now.

Had Jack been around in Year 1 he would have played a lot. He's certainly far superior to Ogele.

The only comparison could be something called Jack Daniels.
The fact Danny played even a second was all because of a roster with only a couple of Big Ten players. He would not be offered a spot on the current roster.

The Fiddler could play a little. We're lucky we had him that season. Danny saw the floor only because of the overall weakness of the roster and such limited depth. He would never be offered a spot on a mediocre roster like the one we have now.

Had Jack been around in Year 1 he would have played a lot. He's certainly far superior to Ogele.
This is why I push back on the Jack Wilson nonsense. For whatever reason, he's a blindspot for people. It's really weird.

Nah, you didn't leave it at that. I may have been born in the day but it wasn't yesterday and I know you.
I never said I left it at that, I disagreed with you, you don't want any push back on the sacred Jack Wilson and resorted to questioning why I would even push back on the idea.

I responded to your post that I was trying to convert you. Nope, I realize that Jack Wilson is a bizarre blind spot for some folks on this board. So, no, I wasn't trying to convert you. I was simply disagreeing with you on a message board. It happens.

He's considerably worse than Charlie Daniels and Treyton Thompson by every measure. So I guess he could have gotten whatever minutes were left after those guys.

The fact Danny played even a second was all because of a roster with only a couple of Big Ten players. He would not be offered a spot on the current roster.
And that might be true. I'm not trying to get in the middle of this. Honestly I was only trying to make a joke. I'm far too distant to have knowledge about who is better.

And I've been 100% correct the entire time. I realize no one has compared him to Shaq, but people should not be even comparing him to Charlie Daniels.

Of course we have no idea if Wilson would have been as good as Daniels. All we can go by is the information that we have. From every piece of information we have, including their years of basketball prior to coming to MN, Daniels is a far superior player to Wilson. This is statistically not even close.

Why are you clinging to the idea that Wilson could be good? There is no reason for this rationale. Why not Ogele? Maybe Ogele was great but just buried behind Sutherlin, EJ Stephens, and Loewe? Why doesn't anyone argue that?
Well... I will say this, Wilson might have played a lot of minutes the year Charlie Daniels was patrolling the paint for the Gophers. That team was desperate for size.
There was no way Wilson was needed much with Garcia and Payne. Yeah I get it, he's not real talented but Charlie was not a Big Ten player and was used because there was no choice.

Well... I will say this, Wilson might have played a lot of minutes the year Charlie Daniels was patrolling the paint for the Gophers. That team was desperate for size.
There was no way Wilson was needed much with Garcia and Payne. Yeah I get it, he's not real talented but Charlie was not a Big Ten player and was used because there was no choice.

Daniels was an actual college basketball player throughout his career. Jack Wilson was not. Thinking Wilson was better than Daniels is absurd.

Daniels was an actual college basketball player throughout his career. Jack Wilson was not. Thinking Wilson was better than Daniels is absurd.
Not better than- no. Daniels just didn't have Big Ten size and I am saying that Wilson would have played that year. Not a ton but some.

Top Bottom