Hire a coach from FCS and pay him ~$2MM & use savings for NIL?

The portal is much more threatening to the Gophers than NIL. Who besides Bucky have we lost due to NIL ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of the key defensive players we lost from last season was due to NIL. The real players in NIL are schools we wouldn't win recruiting battles against even pre NIL.
Why do you assume that you have any clue who is shopping around for NIL money and who isn’t?

I heard this on a podcast and thought it was very interesting. I think they used the example as Indiana because they are looking for a coach. Why bring another coach in at $8 million/year or whatever when you could hire a coach from FCS or group of 5 that currently makes only ~$1 million/year, double his salary and use the rest on NIL? I know universities can't pay players, but there has to be a work around. They suggested the COACH signs for $7-8 million, but agrees to DONATE that $5-6 million in savings to NIL. It would have to be a coach that otherwise would likely not get hired at the P5 level, so an average coach, not a perceived great one that thinks he can make the jump soon without this compromise. Maybe one that is close to retirement and lives in the same state, etc. What innovative university is going to figure this out first?

The logic was if a school with lower than average NIL like Indiana or MN could add $5 million or more to the NIL bucket through coaching salary savings, how much would that help? It might not make a team equal to Ohio State, but it would certainly make them much more competitive. Now you can afford to buy a very good quarterback and shore up a couple additional positions that your normal NIL couldn't handle. College coaches are way overpaid when compared to any pro sport where the players make most of the money because they are the most important. If talented players are the most important thing, then a competent coach with millions in annual salary savings might just be good enough, right?
Someone on the Dan Patrick show today (didn't catch who it was) was basically saying this. Coaching salaries are going to come down as NIL spending goes up. Of course it can't be done in this direct way, but that's still what's happening.

This is just a thought experiment because it would obviously not be legal under today's rules, but predicting tomorrow has a lot of leeway in today's wild west of college football. As has already been mentioned, players are not paid what they are worth because universities can't pay them. Universities, therefore, funnel the excess funds to other, less efficient places including coaching salaries to the point where I would suggest they are overpaid for the impact made. I don't think coaches work harder today for $10 million than they did a few years back for $1 million. I don't think a lot of these $5-$10 million coaches are worth that much more than a $1 million coach at a lower level program, but the money has no place else to go. It's not like they are going to give it back!!! This is an inefficient market with a lot of wasted capital. Not surprising given the structure of universities and the NCAA.

We are rehashing old ground here, but it's just to fun and crazy not to dive into when a new idea pops up which was the purpose of my starting this thread. A lot of smart people at these universities are trying to figure out a way to work around these inefficient systems. So far, the best anyone has done is sliding some extra money under the table and Michigan stealing a few signs. I think they are still striving to improve their best! Hahahaha!

Coaching is more important and for us way more relevant to success than NIL. Fleck made a mistake mentioning we need NIL to compete.
He needs to mention it and promote. Just not after losses when it sounds like whiny excuse making.

Could the U direct part of its Big Ten television revenue payment to the Dinkytown Collective, so it never passed thru the U’s hands or accounts? And reduce HC and sub-coach pay accordingly? Look for up-and-comer coaches. Have our coach roster get picked over annually by helmet schools rather than our player roster.
The U of M receives 25mm/ year in donations for athletics and 10mm/ year from corporate sponsorships related to athletics.

The U’s NIL strategy should be to have donors and sponsors divert about 25% of that to good collectives that distribute it somehow to athletes in revenue-generating sports.

It’s a shift in how everyone thinks. Fundraising for athletics has typical centered around drives to “pay for facilities”.

it's just to fun and crazy not to dive into when a new idea pops up which was the purpose of my starting this thread.
If you're looking to launder all that B1G TV money into an NIL collective, how about this idea: every year a group of Gopher fans show up to one of these summer art festivals (art-a-whirl, for example) and we each sell our paintings for millions of dollars, even though they are worthless. Someone from the U of M buys them at this ridiculously over-valued price and then we, as newly minted millionaires, turn around and donate OUR new fortune to dinkytown athletes?

Let's say i'm a HC making like 3 or 4 million a year.

I'm ok ... would it maybe extend my career / earn me more money if I put 1 million into a local NIL group dedicated to my sport????

The U of M receives 25mm/ year in donations for athletics and 10mm/ year from corporate sponsorships related to athletics.

The U’s NIL strategy should be to have donors and sponsors divert about 25% of that to good collectives that distribute it somehow to athletes in revenue-generating sports.

It’s a shift in how everyone thinks. Fundraising for athletics has typical centered around drives to “pay for facilities”.

I was watching an episode of The Coach JB Show a few days ago where they discussed this facilities vs. NIL issue. They opined that the landscape has changed, where if forced to choose, players wouldn't give a sh*t about facilities if offered a nice NIL package instead. It may be that the race for facilities in FBS levels off.

On a side note, give me a choice between the "donation" part of season tickets going all to the school or at least part to the NIL, I'll choose NIL.

Last edited:

If the U is directing the money, the means it's theirs and therefore not eligible for NIL.
Which is completely rediculous, the school should be able to pay their athletes for a PR campaign just like every other entity can pay the athletes. At this point that is the only thing that makes sense. Spread the media money to the players. With B1G money we could compete.

I'm ok ... would it maybe extend my career / earn me more money if I put 1 million into a local NIL group dedicated to my sport????
1 million cash in McDonald's bags would go farther...

This is just a thought experiment because it would obviously not be legal under today's rules, but predicting tomorrow has a lot of leeway in today's wild west of college football. As has already been mentioned, players are not paid what they are worth because universities can't pay them. Universities, therefore, funnel the excess funds to other, less efficient places including coaching salaries to the point where I would suggest they are overpaid for the impact made. I don't think coaches work harder today for $10 million than they did a few years back for $1 million. I don't think a lot of these $5-$10 million coaches are worth that much more than a $1 million coach at a lower level program, but the money has no place else to go. It's not like they are going to give it back!!! This is an inefficient market with a lot of wasted capital. Not surprising given the structure of universities and the NCAA.

We are rehashing old ground here, but it's just to fun and crazy not to dive into when a new idea pops up which was the purpose of my starting this thread. A lot of smart people at these universities are trying to figure out a way to work around these inefficient systems. So far, the best anyone has done is sliding some extra money under the table and Michigan stealing a few signs. I think they are still striving to improve their best! Hahahaha!

I am seeing more people starting to predict that eventually, players will be paid directly by the schools.

A bill was introduced in California this year that would have required schools to share revenue with athletes in the major sports. There is also the anti-trust lawsuit filed against the NCAA in Pennsylvania, and a complaint with the National labor Relations Board.

the one big sticking point appears to be Title IX. but if they can figure that out, I think it's becoming more likely that some form of revenue-sharing will be adopted in - let's say - 5 to 10 years.

Regarding the OP that would require a money laundering operation albeit smaller in size than say, the NFL. I don’t see Coyle masterminding something like that but sometimes you never know.

Last edited:

I am seeing more people starting to predict that eventually, players will be paid directly by the schools.

A bill was introduced in California this year that would have required schools to share revenue with athletes in the major sports. There is also the anti-trust lawsuit filed against the NCAA in Pennsylvania, and a complaint with the National labor Relations Board.

the one big sticking point appears to be Title IX. but if they can figure that out, I think it's becoming more likely that some form of revenue-sharing will be adopted in - let's say - 5 to 10 years.
I would rather it be from the school directly. Have some kind of max amount the school can give each player. And then if the player wants to make more on the side by doing commercials or something, they can. But it actually has to be for something. Not just "here's a million dollars if you come to Ohio St" or whatever.

I say we try an English football coach in a reverse Ted Lasso move.

If you're looking to launder all that B1G TV money into an NIL collective, how about this idea: every year a group of Gopher fans show up to one of these summer art festivals (art-a-whirl, for example) and we each sell our paintings for millions of dollars, even though they are worthless. Someone from the U of M buys them at this ridiculously over-valued price and then we, as newly minted millionaires, turn around and donate OUR new fortune to dinkytown athletes?
Brilliant. Except I'm going to go sell mine to Wisconsin.

Can E Pulltabs go to NIL?. Vikings stadium is paid off.

My thoughts exactly the other week when PJ was complaining about MN not keeping up on NIL. Take at minimum the $1mil raise you got last year of your $6+mil salary and divide it per 85 scholarship kids they have about $12k each. He can easily be a top funder for this as most fans are not one percenters.

Also, most casual fans probably have no idea what NIL is or any other hurdle going against the gophers in todays CF landscape. What about the U funding a marketing campaign towards the NIL collectives to get the word out positively to help increase donations.

Could the U direct part of its Big Ten television revenue payment to the Dinkytown Collective, so it never passed thru the U’s hands or accounts? And reduce HC and sub-coach pay accordingly? Look for up-and-comer coaches. Have our coach roster get picked over annually by helmet schools rather than our player roster.
So The U's recruiting philosophy would be. "we plan to hire the next PJ Fleck every 3-5 years, so the coach you start with probably won't be there at the end, but here's some extra NIL $$"?

Top Bottom