Highlights of Mason's B10 preview on KFAN

Triple D

Reaction score
Mason was on today. According to him, and I'm not sure if this is true or not, Michigan State LB Greg Jones committed to the Gophers but changed his committment when Mason was fired after the Insight Bowl collapse. Is this true or revisionist history?

Doesn't think Penn State is any good, no running game.

Thinks if Michigan State loses this week, it might be a rough season.

Iowa has a shot as B10 Champs, best defense in B10.

He likes Northwestern's QB a lot and likes their short passing game, but they can't run worth a lick. The QB is an effective runner, looks for runs and some sliding after short gains by QB. Bend but break Defense. Picks MINNESOTA to upset NW. Something good has to happen for Gophers and thinks Webber will have a good day. Likes our defense to improve in this game. Barreiro disagrees and picks NW but I get the impression he thinks it will be a close game.

On Brewster: Mason defended the state of the football program when he left and said people in the know know that he did not leave the program in bad shape. Mason is still a Minnesota fan, and dedicated 10 years of his life here. My interpretation is that he thinks it's fairly lame of Brewster to be blaming him for the state of the program, Mason said he did not do that to Wacker and that it doesn't do any good. Barreiro tried mightily to get Mason to admit that there was some resentment but Mason took the Denny Green high road, it doesn't sound like he hates Brewster, he just doesn't appreciate being criticized by him. Brewster needs to stop saying what he thinks people want to hear and tell them how it is.

Someone came into my office to chat so I didn't hear all of it, but he picks Ohio State over Illinois, Wisconsin over Michigan State, Iowa over Penn State, and of course Minnesota over NW, does that make us doomed?

Mason was on today. According to him, and I'm not sure if this is true or not, Michigan State LB Greg Jones committed to the Gophers but changed his committment when Mason was fired after the Insight Bowl collapse. Is this true or revisionist history?

True.

I think Mase is pretty good on the radio, but Dan just has him on to try to get him to rip the gophs I think.

Regardless, he picked the Gophs to win...

Mason is right. He didn't leave the cupboard bare. He left the cupboard bare for a spread offense that Brewster sought. (okay, the defensive cupboard was bare... Mase didn't like to focus on D).

Doesn't think Penn State is any good, no running game.

Thinks if Michigan State loses this week, it might be a rough season.

Iowa has a shot as B10 Champs, best defense in B10.

He likes Northwestern's QB a lot and likes their short passing game, but they can't run worth a lick. The QB is an effective runner, looks for runs and some sliding after short gains by QB. Bend but break Defense. Picks MINNESOTA to upset NW. Something good has to happen for Gophers and thinks Webber will have a good day. Likes our defense to improve in this game. Barreiro disagrees and picks NW but I get the impression he thinks it will be a close game.

On Brewster: Mason defended the state of the football program when he left and said people in the know know that he did not leave the program in bad shape. Mason is still a Minnesota fan, and dedicated 10 years of his life here. My interpretation is that he thinks it's fairly lame of Brewster to be blaming him for the state of the program, Mason said he did not do that to Wacker and that it doesn't do any good. Barreiro tried mightily to get Mason to admit that there was some resentment but Mason took the Denny Green high road, it doesn't sound like he hates Brewster, he just doesn't appreciate being criticized by him. Brewster needs to stop saying what he thinks people want to hear and tell them how it is.

Someone came into my office to chat so I didn't hear all of it, but he picks Ohio State over Illinois, Wisconsin over Michigan State, Iowa over Penn State, and of course Minnesota over NW, does that make us doomed?

That's a wee bit of revisionist history on Glen's part. What he did say again and again in his last year is that everybody should be ready for " a big rebuilding job" in 2007. It's surprising that nobody around here remembers that because he he was certainly hammered for saying it. The general tone was that how could he need to rebuild the program after 10 years? Years that featured no finish above 4th place in the Big Ten.

Those of us that defended the guy certainly remember. Danny Boy, who hated the guy and famously called for his team "to get destroyed" also ripped him for it.

Gee, what a surprise that Grinning Glen and his new-found Spanish Broadcaster seemed to have forgotten. :clap:

There's a difference between rebuilding a program and rebuilding a team.

The team changes from year to year, and as such you will have rebuilding
years.

The program is the underlying foundation that allows the team to go from
year to year. It didn't need rebuilding- a decent enough foundation had
already been laid over the previous ten years.

Glen meant that he just needed to rebuild the team.

There's a difference between rebuilding a program and rebuilding a team.

The team changes from year to year, and as such you will have rebuilding
years.

The program is the underlying foundation that allows the team to go from
year to year. It didn't need rebuilding- a decent enough foundation had
already been laid over the previous ten years.

Glen meant that he just needed to rebuild the team.

I wouldn't disagree but if I remember it right that nuance was lost on both Mr. Barrerio and the majority of posters.

I don't care how bad a shape a program is left in...you can't go to a Bowl Game then loss to an FCS School & blame it on a guy who hasn't been there in 3 years & you've had 2 winning seasons since...

Mason is right. He didn't leave the cupboard bare. He left the cupboard bare for a spread offense that Brewster sought. (okay, the defensive cupboard was bare... Mase didn't like to focus on D).

Jones, Daniels, and Massey all got kicked off the team prior to the start of Brewsters first year, not Mason's fault, certainly not Brewsters. They would have been decent with these players on D in Brewsters first year.

I don't care how bad a shape a program is left in...you can't go to a Bowl Game then loss to an FCS School & blame it on a guy who hasn't been there in 3 years & you've had 2 winning seasons since...

+1

It's a pretty sorry excuse to be heading down that road, 3+ years in.

I'm still depressed over SDU and am just now coming to terms with NIU. Man, bourbon is my friend....

I predict a very strong 1st half of the segment. Running through topics like he belongs on the show. In the 2nd half he will get that deer in the headlights look and not be able to do anything productive. Though the first half was as strong as anything you have ever heard, the overall segment will be mediocre. After about 8-10 years of this he will no longer be a guest on KFAN. They will bring in someone with more enthusiasm.

Jones, Daniels, and Massey all got kicked off the team prior to the start of Brewsters first year, not Mason's fault, certainly not Brewsters. They would have been decent with these players on D in Brewsters first year.

But I dont think those three were the difference in 1-11 and say 6-6...

Maybe worth 2-3 more wins?

I predict a very strong 1st half of the segment. Running through topics like he belongs on the show. In the 2nd half he will get that deer in the headlights look and not be able to do anything productive. Though the first half was as strong as anything you have ever heard, the overall segment will be mediocre. After about 8-10 years of this he will no longer be a guest on KFAN. They will bring in someone with more enthusiasm.

Was that supposed to be funny?

I happened to catch Mase on KFAN today as I drove home. He handled the Brew questions with a lot of class. He said simply he never bashed the guy before him at any of his jobs because no one cares. He did say it doesn't bother him that Brew is saying that the bowl team he inherited was much worse than the 2-10 team we'll have this year.

Was that supposed to be funny?

I happened to catch Mase on KFAN today as I drove home. He handled the Brew questions with a lot of class. He said simply he never bashed the guy before him at any of his jobs because no one cares. He did say it doesn't bother him that Brew is saying that the bowl team he inherited was much worse than the 2-10 team we'll have this year.

Was the segment supposed to be funny.? The guy knew nothing about how to win football games before he was fired (according to the people on KFAN) and now they have him on as an "expert." Doesn't make sense.

Didn't hear the interview, but I would assume Mason came across as classy. He wouldn't be a jerk on the radio. Ever hear of coachspeak? Well they continue to do it after they are done coaching. I do like how he has us winning a Big Ten game though. Did he say which game it would be?

Your humor is lost on many.

Very good.

Brewster always says the program is in much better shape than he found it. Right now that's hard to believe.

I disagree with Glen. I think Northwestern is a team that will contend for the Big Ten title this year. They have an EASY Big Ten schedule and their spread offense gives Big Ten teams fits. We will lose to Northwestern. This game will not be close.

Iowa will not win the Big Ten this year, it will be OSU or Northwestern.

Mason is right about PSU. They will be lucky to finish the year in the top 25. They're overated. They should not have been ranked to start the year.

Last year many of the players were Masons players. My contention is that he would have coached them better and therefore we would have been a better team and winning record last year. Also, under Mason there is no way we would hav gone 1-11 the first year Brewster was here. Mason usually did not have good defensive teams and recruited below avg but he did know how to develop players, gave the U a signature running attack that has now been lost and coached us to contend in most ball games. All of this has been lost under Brewster.

Okay, I'm on board with getting rid of Brew, and I don't want to turn this into another Mason vs. Brew debate, but lets not forget Mase's historic losses:

Michigan 4qtr meltdown
Purdue - 19 seconds left from their own 11 yard line
Northwestern hail mary
Wisconsin - dropped punt
at Indiana - blown out
Texas Tech

And he only beat NDSU 10-9 his last year.

It's great that Barreiro now seems to find it convenient to be pals with Mason now (wasn't he the one that began referring to Mason as "Mr. Smug"?), but Barreiro (and perhaps some of the folks on here), seems to forget there were very legitimate reasons as to why he was let go. As I've stated before (when Gaard posted), I don't even listen to the show anymore, and the way Barreiro had continuously tried to bait Mason in to taking shots at the program is in part why.

My stance has always been: Mason was a MUCH better coach than Brewster with regards to developing players, but the recruiting processes he had in place during his tenure were an absolute joke; he never worked at either recruiting or promoting the program.

I was for getting rid of Mase then, and I'm for getting rid of Brew now.

I'm not saying Mason would have led us to a Big Ten title if he remained head coach, but I believe his recruiting would have gotten better with the stadium and Minnesota would have won more games over the past four seasons with Mason than we have with Brew.

I was on the fence with Mason was shown the door--- If I remember correctly, Gopher Nation believed Mason wasn't the guy to take us to the next level. Sadly, now we're clawing to get back to the level Mason had the program and we've got more resources at our disposal.

So now we're looking for another Mason-type, rebuild a program coach to come in and hopefully take us a couple steps farther than Mase could.

Go Gophers--- I hope he's right about this weekend. I put money on the Gophers--- while my heart has turned on the coach, I can't turn on the team.

Last year many of the players were Masons players. My contention is that he would have coached them better and therefore we would have been a better team and winning record last year. Also, under Mason there is no way we would hav gone 1-11 the first year Brewster was here. Mason usually did not have good defensive teams and recruited below avg but he did know how to develop players, gave the U a signature running attack that has now been lost and coached us to contend in most ball games. All of this has been lost under Brewster.

Who knows if the defense would have been nearly as good though. I'm not saying our defense was great last year but it certainly wasn't bad. Would guys like Campbell, Triplett, and Small have developed into solid players under Mason? Maybe, maybe not.

Okay, I'm on board with getting rid of Brew, and I don't want to turn this into another Mason vs. Brew debate, but lets not forget Mase's historic losses:

Michigan 4qtr meltdown
Purdue - 19 seconds left from their own 11 yard line
Northwestern hail mary
Wisconsin - dropped punt
at Indiana - blown out
Texas Tech

And he only beat NDSU 10-9 his last year.

It's great that Barreiro now seems to find it convenient to be pals with Mason now (wasn't he the one that began referring to Mason as "Mr. Smug"?), but Barreiro (and perhaps some of the folks on here), seems to forget there were very legitimate reasons as to why he was let go. As I've stated before (when Gaard posted), I don't even listen to the show anymore, and the way Barreiro had continuously tried to bait Mason in to taking shots at the program is in part why.

My stance has always been: Mason was a MUCH better coach than Brewster with regards to developing players, but the recruiting processes he had in place during his tenure were an absolute joke; he never worked at either recruiting or promoting the program.

I was for getting rid of Mase then, and I'm for getting rid of Brew now.

Pretty much agree with everything here. Barreiro's cozying up to Mason now seems really to be a sychophantic attempt to dump more on Brewster. Whatever Mason may feel (and I think we know exactly how he feels), he has enough class to not utter it on the air.

Mason was a terrible recruiter. I realize this is hearsay, but I converse with a lot of high school administrators in my job and when the topic of Mason comes up regarding a kid from their school who was recruited by FBS schools, there's usually a lot of head shaking.

What got Mason fired was his failure to promote the program. I think it's that purely and simply. He helped get the stadium built and could have filled that stadium?

Mason is a sharp guy, but he's no PR whiz. Like Sid and Dave said a week or so ago, after a loss, Mason couldn't be found for the Sunday morning show. He made Tom Kelly look like a Care Bear.

I'm not saying Mason would have led us to a Big Ten title if he remained head coach, but I believe his recruiting would have gotten better with the stadium and Minnesota would have won more games over the past four seasons with Mason than we have with Brew.

I was on the fence with Mason was shown the door--- If I remember correctly, Gopher Nation believed Mason wasn't the guy to take us to the next level. Sadly, now we're clawing to get back to the level Mason had the program and we've got more resources at our disposal.

So now we're looking for another Mason-type, rebuild a program coach to come in and hopefully take us a couple steps farther than Mase could.

Go Gophers--- I hope he's right about this weekend. I put money on the Gophers--- while my heart has turned on the coach, I can't turn on the team.

I don't understand this argument. (Even though I can give it more thought now given the way the season has started out). However, this same argument was being used prior to this year. How are (were...) we clawing back to get back to Mason's level? We had gone to 2 bowl games the last 2 years, which is basically the same thing that Mason did in his last 5 years.

Call me crazy, but when Brewster is saying that the program is ahead of where it was when he took over, I don't really understand how this is "blaming Mason" for the losses to USD and N. ILL. I guess I just haven't heard a quote that said "We lost to South Dakota because the former coach didn't recruit." However, I would like to see him stop bringing up the past regime (even when the media is asking questions directing him toward it) as it is now his team and his culture.

Top Bottom