Hickey: Minnesota is married to the Big Ten cellar until further notice.

Article makes sense. We might be better than Rutgers, but any so-called talent advantage(if we even have that) will be outweighed by how much better coached they are.

If were breaking down the schedule, I don't expect to win a road game in league, so that's 10 losses right there. I don't expect to beat MD and Wisconsin at home in our only game against them. I don't expect to beat IU, MSU, or NW at home either. So that leaves home games against Iowa, Nebraska, OSU, PSU and Rutgers. Even winning those 5 games, that's probably destined for a last place finish. And I'd pick us to lose to OSU and Iowa as things stand now.

Article makes sense. We might be better than Rutgers, but any so-called talent advantage(if we even have that) will be outweighed by how much better coached they are.

If were breaking down the schedule, I don't expect to win a road game in league, so that's 10 losses right there. I don't expect to beat MD and Wisconsin at home in our only game against them. I don't expect to beat IU, MSU, or NW at home either. So that leaves home games against Iowa, Nebraska, OSU, PSU and Rutgers. Even winning those 5 games, that's probably destined for a last place finish. And I'd pick us to lose to OSU and Iowa as things stand now.
🚨 BREAKING NEWS CHIEF HATER GOPHERS7633 DOESNT EXPECT THE GOPHERS TO BE GOOD AND LOSE EVERY ROAD GAME 🚨

He should post it again in another thread

🚨 BREAKING NEWS CHIEF HATER GOPHERS7633 DOESNT EXPECT THE GOPHERS TO BE GOOD AND LOSE EVERY ROAD GAME 🚨

Not being a hater. Just looking at things objectively. You think we'll be good, I think we'll be a 4/5 win team in league. We'll see who's right.

I'd be curious as to why you think we'll be anything other than getting ready for another appearance in weakling Wednesday.

Not being a hater. Just looking at things objectively. You think we'll be good, I think we'll be a 4/5 win team in league. We'll see who's right.

I'd be curious as to why you think we'll be anything other than getting ready for another appearance in weakling Wednesday.
Breaking News: Absolutely nobody knows where the Gophers will finish next year, but they do have some front line talent coming back in Garcia, Payne, and JOJ, and some others in Ihnen, Fox, and Betts who may supply depth. Their fate will depend on how their new backcourt fares in the Big Ten. If they don't show they're ready for the Big Ten level, the Gophers will languish again.

But based on the distinct possibility of improvement from their front line and improved guard play (which was pretty awful), they may surprise this year. I don't know if Mitchell, Hawkins, and Christie can be effective this year, but that's the key to this season. Personally, I see this team winning a lot more Big Ten games this year, and if they don't we'll have a new coach soon.

So when the guys miss shots and lose games its all the coach, but the player gets all the credit when they make shots and win? We've been better than Rutgers 2 of the 3 times CBJ has faced them but I'm the one without the point? And remind me again how Rutgers finished during Pikiell's first two seasons?
Fair is fair, if coaches get blame when something goes wrong, they should get credit when things go right. Thus, Johnson should get the blame for all 17 B1G losses and the credit for both B1G wins.

Hasn’t won on or off the court in MN. He did win a state title.

Lost there 3 best player/defenders this year

Omoruyi was their best player and defender last year and he'll be back.

They lost their two best players in Harper Jr and Geo Baker heading into last season and they went from 12 B1G wins to 10.

I won't be surprised if they take a slight step back again, but it won't be to 3 wins which is where they'll need to be to be a threat to finishing lower than the Gophers.

Last edited:

Breaking News: Absolutely nobody knows where the Gophers will finish next year, but they do have some front line talent coming back in Garcia, Payne, and JOJ, and some others in Ihnen, Fox, and Betts who may supply depth. Their fate will depend on how their new backcourt fares in the Big Ten. If they don't show they're ready for the Big Ten level, the Gophers will languish again.

But based on the distinct possibility of improvement from their front line and improved guard play (which was pretty awful), they may surprise this year. I don't know if Mitchell, Hawkins, and Christie can be effective this year, but that's the key to this season. Personally, I see this team winning a lot more Big Ten games this year, and if they don't we'll have a new coach soon.

I'm confident we'll be playing in weakling Wednesday again, unfortunately. Yes, we are going to better, because we were brutal last year. And yes, players will improve, but so will players on other teams. I'm all for optimism, but the roster/coaching is bottom level of the B1G.

going back to the OP:

the post seems to suggest that MN recruiting is failing because Freitag went to Wisconsin - but with no context for that statement. If the Gophers had been recruiting Freitag hard, and lost him to WI - that's a problem. But - that is not what happened. The Gopher coaches prioritized a different player - and got him to commit.

it's surface level stuff. "the #1 recruit in MN didn't go to MN, so their recruiting is bad."

we can keep having the same discussions and arguments over and over. in the end, all of this will be decided by how the Gophers perform in the 23-24 season. and unless anyone on this board is psychic or owns a time machine, we just don't know what is going to happen next season.

If anyone does own a time machine, how much do you charge for rides?

I'm curious to know what he meant by no off court success... didn't they just set a program record for team GPA or something?

Before y'all make cracks about how that impacts wins, he brought up "off the court" stuff like we're getting arrested every weekend. I don't think we've even had a behavior based suspension, much less a legal issue...

Say what you want about CBJ's x&o abilities, he brings in high character guys. He's creating a positive culture- just hoping it results in wins soon here...

No Carrington? He may be ready for prime time.

As a national writer you can say the same thing without being a jerk about it was my point...instead of making enemies every where. I mean ya, it's like I wrote it, but I'm a Gopher fan...he's not.
Over half the board thinks we are going to win 5 or more games?
Who we gonna beat, beyond the night we make 17 3's or the other guy has the starters suspended or something??
BOOM! So this.

So when the guys miss shots and lose games its all the coach, but the player gets all the credit when they make shots and win? We've been better than Rutgers 2 of the 3 times CBJ has faced them but I'm the one without the point? And remind me again how Rutgers finished during Pikiell's first two seasons?
It's on the coach to set the bar on and off the court. If he is listening to you, then we can see how low the on the court bar has been set. People show up for consistent winners, not a team in a triumverate of teams trying to avoid last place in the conference.

Coming in a little heavy with the lack of cognition while reading shtick are we?

It's on the coach to set the bar on and off the court. If he is listening to you, then we can see how low the on the court bar has been set. People show up for consistent winners, not a team in a triumverate of teams trying to avoid last place in the conference.
Ok. What does that have to do with assuming Rutgers will be better than us? Its weird how having any hope for the future automatically means you give CBJ a pass for his horrible record.

I pay no attention to whoever this guy is. Cellar dwellers again? Ok. At least give me a couple of reasons to support his claim. Losing Freitag has nothing to do with this coming season. I’m happy to have Asuma over Freitag as seems to be a more complete player..
At least you did follow your own advice :). He said we haven't won anything on or off the court since Ben has arrived and he pointed to losing Frietag as another example of us losing (clearly off the court).

There is clearly nothing to this article. We took last two years in a row and we didn't make a big splash this offseason, I'd have to assume we'd be the betting favorites to take last next year.

Personally, I think the improvements in the backcourt should be so drastic that we will improve next year. I think most people underestimate how poor our backcourt play was last year and that even getting to "average" or "slightly below average" will be a drastic improvement. Is it enough to get us out of last? I don't know. But I do understand why many of the pundits will pick us to finish last.

But who cares?

It's not like he wrote the article.

He commented on an article written by someone else and posted by someone else.

I'm curious to know what he meant by no off court success... didn't they just set a program record for team GPA or something?

Before y'all make cracks about how that impacts wins, he brought up "off the court" stuff like we're getting arrested every weekend. I don't think we've even had a behavior based suspension, much less a legal issue...

Say what you want about CBJ's x&o abilities, he brings in high character guys. He's creating a positive culture- just hoping it results in wins soon here...
Pitino was also setting team GPA records right before he got fired, so there's that.

The most interesting thing I read in this thread was that Rutgers has avoided WW for 5 straight seasons. If true--thats awesome for them. What a big leap forward.

Do you refute any of his comments, predictions or statements? Thought so. Counterpoints to anything he said?
Yes, we weren’t recruiting Freitag, and if you watch hoops around here he is not the number one player in that class. Dumb rankings that haven’t been updated.

Yes, we weren’t recruiting Freitag, and if you watch hoops around here he is not the number one player in that class. Dumb rankings that haven’t been updated.
I watched some Ryan James supplied clips of Asuma in a weekend tournament. The kid is very, very impressive- smooth as silk, creative and quicker than people might think. He made a steal in a crowd swerve out with a deft behind the back dribble and ran the break never breaking stride. I like him a lot...great future and a great attitude!

I watched some Ryan James supplied clips of Asuma in a weekend tournament. The kid is very, very impressive- smooth as silk, creative and quicker than people might think. He made a steal in a crowd swerve out with a deft behind the back dribble and ran the break never breaking stride. I like him a lot...great future and a great attitude!
I agree. Have watched him a few times and a better all-around player than Freitag. Freitag was better 18 months to two years ago, but rankings haven't been updated. The Wisconsin offer was the only committable one he had of the teams listed. He matured early and hasn't really improved.

For the purity of this thread, please keep the discussion about Hickey's opinion about the Gopher basketball team. Thank you.

JK - I am excited about Asuma. I can't help but see more of a SG than a PG, but I really have no idea. Either way, he's smooth and athletic. He'll help.

National pundits like Hickey know absolutely nothing about recruiting. They are the types that will say things like "Jalen Suggs considered playing basketball at Minnesota but just wasn't recruited hard enough."

Top Bottom