Hickey: Minnesota is married to the Big Ten cellar until further notice.

That's a truly lazy writeup on the Gophers. He has a pre determined view of them from last year and decided not to do any work on them and instead spend most of his time on the upper tier teams.
I guess it’s lazy, but I don’t blame any National sports writer for barely spending time on the Gophers. We should all expect for this to be the national consensus on us. I don’t even know if it’s lazy, I don’t think any sports books would have the Gophers finishing better.

Does it mean we’ll be bad? Of course not.

I think the question is whether finishing in 13th or 12th is enough to save Johnson's job for another year. I'm totally serious about that. I could see Coyle rolling with Ben on the basis of that kind of slight improvement. I would love to be pleasantly suprised, but I don't see which four teams we're going to finish ahead of to get out of playing on Wednesday of the BTT.

I think the question is whether finishing in 13th or 12th is enough to save Johnson's job for another year. I'm totally serious about that. I could see Coyle rolling with Ben on the basis of that kind of slight improvement. I would love to be pleasantly suprised, but I don't see which four teams we're going to finish ahead of to get out of playing on Wednesday of the BTT.
I think the shockingly tiny crowds at the Barn will force Coyle's hand.

I think the shockingly tiny crowds at the Barn will force Coyle's hand.
I hate to admit this, but when we go for the first games this fall, I'll be as curious to see the crowd sizes as I'll be to see what the team looks like.

I hate to admit this, but when we go for the first games this fall, I'll be as curious to see the crowd sizes as I'll be to see what the team looks like.
What is the capacity of the Pavilion for volleyball and do they play any games at the Barn? Is there a chance they outdraw both basketball teams at least butts in seats?

What is the capacity of the Pavilion for volleyball and do they play any games at the Barn? Is there a chance they outdraw both basketball teams at least butts in seats?
Interesting point. Who is hotter? Womens BB, Volleyball, Hockey, Track or cheerleaders?

I’ll go with the volleyball.

Excuses are running out for the Gophers Men's Basketball to turn things around. How far is Mark Coyle willing to go with Ben Johnson?

IMHO, the Gophers need to show improvements and make a tournament. Rebuilding must show some positive results. Otherwise, the program is going to slide further to oblivion.

Excuses are running out for the Gophers Men's Basketball to turn things around. How far is Mark Coyle willing to go with Ben Johnson?

IMHO, the Gophers need to show improvements and make a tournament. Rebuilding must show some positive results. Otherwise, the program is going to slide further to oblivion.
Further? We are in oblivion. Its only a question of how long we will be there, I mean you can't fall further than last place, and we're on two years and counting at this point.

Further? We are in oblivion. Its only a question of how long we will be there, I mean you can't fall further than last place, and we're on two years and counting at this point.
Guaranteed that mn wouldn’t finish last.

Hickey with a BT Power Rankings and not a positive outlook for our Gophers:

14. Minnesota​

Ben Johnson hasn’t won on the court or off at Minnesota as he enters Year 3. That’s unlikely to change on the court this season, so the Gophers need some recruiting wins. But top 2024 Minnesota prospect Daniel Freitag has already committed to Wisconsin, so, well, what are we doing here?

Minnesota is married to the Big Ten cellar until further notice.

Go Gophers!!
Let me start off by saying I am a very big gopher basketball fan. I have season tickets, and I have not missed a game in many years but we need to stop pretending that this team has fallen from some sort of greatness. Here is a list of the Big Ten record for the past 22 years before Ben arrived
Dan Monson 47-81 0.367%
4-12
5-11
9-7
8-8
3-13
10-6
5-11
3-13
Tuby Smith 46-62 0.426%
8-10
9-9
9-9
6-12
6-12
8-10
Richard Patino 54-96 0.360%
8-10
6-12
2-16
11-7
4-14
9-11
8-12
6-14

So, like it or not, we have been at the bottom of the conference for the past 24 years. What Ben is doing right now with the recruits he has, and with the ones coming in is building a program from the bottom. They have bought into his system and will turn this thing around. Maybe part of this is just hope but hell that’s all I’ve had for the last quarter century waiting for this team to finally turn it around.

I’m guessing whomever ends up being Coyle’s new boss will have some input for
Could on how quick to pull the trigger on Ben

Let me start off by saying I am a very big gopher basketball fan. I have season tickets, and I have not missed a game in many years but we need to stop pretending that this team has fallen from some sort of greatness. Here is a list of the Big Ten record for the past 22 years before Ben arrived
Dan Monson 47-81 0.367%
4-12
5-11
9-7
8-8
3-13
10-6
5-11
3-13
Tuby Smith 46-62 0.426%
8-10
9-9
9-9
6-12
6-12
8-10
Richard Patino 54-96 0.360%
8-10
6-12
2-16
11-7
4-14
9-11
8-12
6-14

So, like it or not, we have been at the bottom of the conference for the past 24 years. What Ben is doing right now with the recruits he has, and with the ones coming in is building a program from the bottom. They have bought into his system and will turn this thing around. Maybe part of this is just hope but hell that’s all I’ve had for the last quarter century waiting for this team to finally turn it around.
I think there are reasons to expect more. Ben should field an improved team from last season. Can they get 8 BIG wins? I think so if.......................... most important is to stay healthy

If I am understanding the current roster, we only lose Ramberg and Wilson. If everyone stays plus adding Asuma, the 2024/25 team "should" be a decent squad.

If I am understanding the current roster, we only lose Ramberg and Wilson. If everyone stays plus adding Asuma, the 2024/25 team "should" be a decent squad.
As of February 15th or so, we were "full" for next year. Zero available scholarships, not even one for Ramberg. We ended up with 5 open after that date filled 3. The odds of "everyone staying" is about 2%.

Given the state of affairs, that is not a bad idea. Right now they need bodies, and they stand to make some money off of concessions, at least in theory.
Buy 2 diet cokes, we won't ask to look inside your jacket....

I think student tickets should be free period. Those are future long-term season ticket buyers and the revenue they get by charging can't be that much.

As of February 15th or so, we were "full" for next year. Zero available scholarships, not even one for Ramberg. We ended up with 5 open after that date filled 3. The odds of "everyone staying" is about 2%.
We will lose several. There is no way to keep this many happy. Send in your NIL check.

Last edited:

Top Bottom