Hickey: 1 thing I learned about every Big Ten team in Week 3 (Minnesota: Athan Kaliakmanis is definitely a Minnesota QB)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Hickey:

Minnesota: Athan Kaliakmanis is definitely a Minnesota QB​

And that’s not a compliment.

Whatever was in the water for Tanner Morgan’s 2019 season has never gone back into the water, which is evidently not the purifying waters of Lake Minnetonka.

Kaliakmanis was 11 of 29 for 133 yards and an interception in a miserable showing at North Carolina. Minnesota invested a lot in him being the answer this year. If he is, the Gophers are in trouble.

Go Gophers!!

I am usually hard on the Gophers because I want to see success - but ragging on AK is not very fair in my opinion. I said this heading into the year - he is a 'first year QB' - yeah, I know he played last year - but this is his first year as the sole starter and the team is materially worse than the prior year. JMS, Mo, etc are gone - I would even say our receiving core is worse. So, is it all on AK? No. Same as Morgan's 2019 - he was throwing to 2 legit NFL targets that saved his butt many, many times. It is little wonder Morgan's production went down when he lost those targets. Granted - AK is not All World right now - but, I think he actually has the tools to really be special here with some more time and more talent around him. We got our tails whipped by a top 20 team - it happens. Anyone thinking this year was not going to be a rebuilding year had unrealistic expectations.

A comparison:

In 2022, with no Bateman and no Tyler Johnson, Tanner Morgan had a completion percentage of 66.9%. 8.6 yards per attempt. He finished with 9 TDs and 5 INTs.

That was with the likes of Dylan Wright and Mike Brown-Stephens on the roster. I disagree with people who say that our receiving corps was better last season.

So far in his Gopher career, Kaliakmanis has completed 52.8%. 7.0 yards per attempt. So far as a Gopher, he has thrown for 4 TDs and 7 INTs.

This season, it's 51.1%, 5.1 yards per attempt, 1 TD, and 3 INTs.

I'm not "ragging" on Kaliakmanis. I still believe he'll be great in his Minnesota career.

But he definitely needs to step it up. There's no question.

Three aspects of his game that need to improve are consistency, accuracy and decision-making. Especially accuracy. That completion percentage is terrible.

Hickey is the grand poobah of dinks!
He did have a miserable game at North Carolina. Minnesota does have a lot invested in his success. If he continues to perform like this Minnesota is in trouble.

I don't see what this writer said that was inaccurate.

App State's QB was a backup 0* brand new to the program, straight out of JUCO and threw for almost 300 yards against UNC's defense on the same field the week before.

Minnesota has the sort of receivers that were the best players on teams like App State and transferred to Minnesota. Pretty soon the conclusion will be to try a transfer QB.

He did have a miserable game at North Carolina. Minnesota does have a lot invested in his success. If he continues to perform like this Minnesota is in trouble.

I don't see what this writer said that was inaccurate.

App State's QB was a backup 0* brand new to the program, straight out of JUCO and threw for almost 300 yards against UNC's defense on the same field the week before.

Minnesota has the sort of receivers that were the best players on teams like App State and transferred to Minnesota.
This doesn't change the fact that Hickey is a douche nozzle DINK!

It's a scientific fact!!

Top Bottom