Hey Joel, Where is Tubby's extension?

millions2spare

Krav-Maga
Reaction score
Joel, before you make a mess out of another Gopher program, I would suggest you lock down the extension for Tubby Smith.

If you're a fan of a relevant sport at the University it is a given that Maturi will fuc& something up, somehow. Hes gotten to hockey, football and now basketball will be next, just give him time. There are way too many things that need to be done to allow gymnastics and rowing to gain a competitive advantage that he doesn't have time for any of this revenue sport stuff.

Luckily for us we'd probably get Flip if Tubby left so I guess we can rest a little easier knowing when "it" happens we have a good backup plan.

Smith does not deserve an extension in my opinion. I'd like to see us get a top 3 finish etc before we even consider it. The NC schedule has been soft for the past few years and has been the springboard for the back-back tourney appearances. I like this year's schedule a lot better and if he has a good year then take a look.

Maturi has hosed up the football deal but giving Smith an extension doesn't fix that football. Besides I'm more that curious to see what will happen with assistants. Taylor and Jirsa appear to have one foot out the door looking for their next job which I believe is fine but has their recruiting success over the past two seasons justified their next gig?

Yes, by all means, let's turn the basketball board -- which generally speaking has a positive vibe heading into the 2010-11 season -- into the football board. At least let the Gophers hoops team lose a couple games before we turn it into a piss & moan fest.

sunday, brewster is horribad.

we really need this extension. maturi isnt going to do *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

SS, there's no need to be overly negative, but you have to admit that it is pathetic that this hasn't been completed yet. I want to believe it's because both sides are comfortable it will get done and there are minor issues in the hands of lawyers, but it doesn't change the fact that they've been working on it since March and it's now October. Any other AD would have had it done in a week.

Any other AD would have done it in a week? Respectfully, you know that for a fact?

Joel Maturi is the devil. (tongue in cheek). ... I get it.

Any other AD would have done it in a week? Respectfully, you know that for a fact?

Joel Maturi is the devil. (tongue in cheek). ... I get it.

For a fact? No. But look at what happened to the other coaches who were sniffed around in March. Jamie Dixon got his contract extension within days, for expample. Tubby? It's taken 7 months. You can't possibly think it's normal for what should be a simple contract extension to take anywhere near this long. He's not the devil. But he's not very good at some of the bigger aspects of his job.

Could not disagree more with delaying Tubby's extension.

Wonder how this might play out?
1. Tired of finishing in middle of Big Ten
2. Want to save a million on salary?
3. Lets take a gamble - bet we could get a low level assistant from a top program? That would push us to the top.
4. Would not need head coaching experience.
5. Maturi would be able to determine capability of said coach by in-depth interview?
6. U basketball program is only a $5 million dollar/yr profit enterprise - so what, lets take a gamble.
7. Wonder what the football board would think of this idea?

If we do this, we deserve what we get.

Are we tired already?

of beating Ohio St., Wisconsin (3 of last 3), Illinois, Michigan St., Purdue?

Imagine if those victories were even loosely transposed to football.

I'm in favor of a Tubby extension. If he agrees to a buy out clause if he leaves.

A questions on his assistants. Has Jirsa or Taylor produced any good recruits. Just a question. Just seems like we're one step behind in recruiting.

He probably wont sign an extension until they really get going on a new practice facility.

Smith does not deserve an extension in my opinion. I'd like to see us get a top 3 finish etc before we even consider it. The NC schedule has been soft for the past few years and has been the springboard for the back-back tourney appearances. I like this year's schedule a lot better and if he has a good year then take a look.

Maturi has hosed up the football deal but giving Smith an extension doesn't fix that football. Besides I'm more that curious to see what will happen with assistants. Taylor and Jirsa appear to have one foot out the door looking for their next job which I believe is fine but has their recruiting success over the past two seasons justified their next gig?

Gophers have 0 B10 titles, 0 B10T championships, and 0 postseason W (NCAA or NIT) in 3 years.

Gophers NEED to be in Top 4 of B10 next 2 years, either W B10T or B10 title, and W postseason games next 2 years.

Then an extension is appropriate. 25 W is the target (per season) not 21 W average,

Yes, by all means, let's turn the basketball board -- which generally speaking has a positive vibe heading into the 2010-11 season -- into the football board. At least let the Gophers hoops team lose a couple games before we turn it into a piss & moan fest.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joel, before you make a mess out of another Gopher program, I would suggest you lock down the extension for Tubby Smith.

I suggest to you that you seek out a surgeon to talk about an extension for yourself you little prick.

18 year olds

I realize Gopher FANS love The Barn.

Gopher RECRUITS may not. That's your dilemma.

You may be correct in many instances regarding recruits but I reject the idea that we should move from Williams Arena with all its tradition, history and yes, quirks, in the remote, possible chance we may persuade some 18 year old kid to come play college hoops here.

If they do play for the Gophers they will still play almost half there games elsewhere, mostly in modern cookie cutter arenas. Playing at a site like Williams is different than the norm and special.

As far as I am concerned if they don't like Williams Arena, they can go elsewhere.

Just IMHO.

You may be correct in many instances regarding recruits but I reject the idea that we should move from Williams Arena with all its tradition, history and yes, quirks, in the remote, possible chance we may persuade some 18 year old kid to come play college hoops here.

If they do play for the Gophers they will still play almost half there games elsewhere, mostly in modern cookie cutter arenas. Playing at a site like Williams is different than the norm and special.

As far as I am concerned if they don't like Williams Arena, they can go elsewhere.

Just IMHO.

Understandable but the team's venue is a factor in recruiting. Most recruits - ESPECIALLY big time ones - want to play in a modern arena.

probably true

Understandable but the team's venue is a factor in recruiting. Most recruits - ESPECIALLY big time ones - want to play in a modern arena.

That is probably true but I would also say Most recruits - ESPECIALLY big time ones - want to play at Kansas or Duke or North Carolina, etc, etc.

A bright shiny new arena will not change that dynamic IMHO.

Honestly, our best shot a big time recruits are the Mn kids who rank high and getting them to stay. I don't really believe a 4-5 star recruit will pick Mn over Kansas etc regardless of the arena. Just look at the football team and the new stadium....SOS.

I'd rather stick effort behind a new practice facility anyway.

Mr. Smith

Honestly, our best shot a big time recruits are the Mn kids who rank high and getting them to stay. I don't really believe a 4-5 star recruit will pick Mn over Kansas etc regardless of the arena. Just look at the football team and the new stadium....SOS.

I'd rather stick effort behind a new practice facility anyway.

I agree. I believe money spent on a new practice facility would be a better investment.

AND, I love Williams Arena! :D

I agree. I believe money spent on a new practice facility would be a better investment.

AND, I love Williams Arena! :D

Agree.

I love the barn and the players love playing there. A state of the art practice facility is what would draw kids the most. They would spend most their time in the new facility and still get to play games in Williams Arena, best of both worlds.

Just IMHO.

+1

Definitely don't ever ever get rid of the barn. Home atmosphere at Williams arena is better than most teams in the big ten. I'm satisfied with what Tubby has done thus far. Not happy, but satisfied. Think about the issues we had last year that were out of his control, especially Royce and trevor, obviously, but also Al Nolen deciding to not pass any of his classes. I'm looking forward to seeing Tubby coach all of his recruits too

Top Bottom