Here are the Rose Bowl selection rules

Taji34

Reaction score
This keeps coming up in different threads, so I'm making a new thread for visibility that can be referenced. Here are the Rose Bowl team selection rules:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_to_college_bowl_games#Big_Ten_Conference:
2019:

NOTE: Bowls submit preferences to conference, and conference actually assigns schools to bowls. Other than the Rose Bowl, all Big Ten bowls have agreed to have at least five different schools in their bowl over the 2014–19 contract cycle. Also, no school will appear in same bowl back-to-back years.

#1 College Football Playoff. Champion goes to Rose Bowl if not selected for playoffs. The Rose Bowl gets filled by a Big Ten team if champion is in the playoffs
The Citrus Bowl versus SEC
The Outback Bowl versus SEC
The Holiday Bowl versus Pac-12
The Music City Bowl or the Gator Bowl versus SEC. From 2014–19, the Music City and Gator will each get Big Ten team three times. No Big Ten will appear in either bowl more than once each.
The Pinstripe Bowl versus ACC
The Redbox Bowl versus Pac-12
The Quick Lane Bowl versus ACC
The First Responder Bowl versus Conference USA
The Armed Forces Bowl versus Mountain West

And from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Bowl_Game#College_Football_Playoff
The BCS was replaced in 2014 by the College Football Playoff, which selects four teams for two national semifinal games, leading to a championship game. As part of the arrangement, the Rose Bowl game functions as a semifinal playoff game every three years. In years when the Rose Bowl is not hosting a semifinal, it takes the Pac-12 and Big Ten champions, unless one or both teams qualify for the semifinals, in which case they are replaced by another team from the same conference.

What this all means is is during non-semi final years:

1. The Big Ten champion goes to the Rose bowl automatically when they are not in a playoff semi-final. So if OSU wins the conference over us, but does not make the playoffs, they go to the rose bowl. Only way I see this happening is if they drop a game before the conference championship. If they are undefeated and then beat us, they are in the CFP as an undefeated P5 no if, ands, or buts.

2. In the case OSU is in the playoffs, the bowls then submit their preferences and then the Big Ten sets the bowl games. What this has effectively meant is the "Second best" Big Ten team goes to the Rose bowl, probably since the Big Ten wants to have the best chance at winning that bowl game. In all the years of CFP when the Rose bowl was not a semi final, and the Big Ten Champion was in the playoffs, this has gone to the second highest Big Ten team in the CFP rankings. This, however, is not codified anywhere in the rules:
  • 2015 Rose Bowl was a playoff game, not Big Ten Team.
  • 2016 Rose Bowl: #6 Iowa (Big Ten West Division Champ and Second Highest rated Big Ten Team behind #3 MSU in the playoffs)
  • 2017 Rose Bowl: #5 Penn State (Big Ten Champs, but also Second Highest rated Big Ten Team behind #3OSU in the playoffs)
  • 2018 Rose Bowl was a playoff game, not Big Ten Team.
  • 2019 Rose Bowl: #6 OSU (Big Ten Champs, highest ranked Big Ten team)

What this all means is, if we win the west division, but lose the Big Ten championship we have a pretty good chance at the rose bowl as long as we are the 2nd highest ranked big ten team. Things that screw that up:
  • Big Ten Champ does not receive a playoff bid
  • We are not the 2nd highest ranked big ten team after the Big Ten Championship. I could see this happening potentially. If we win the west, then lose to OSU, we wind up 11-2, with PSU being 10-2. We have one more win, and the head to head win, but also lost to Iowa who PSU beat. In the eyes of the CFP it may come down to who played OSU "better". Whoever did that would likely be ranked higher.

Hotel room in Pasadena is booked, have not bought game tickets yet.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Gophers beat Wisky next week, I'm essentially gambling they are going to the Rose Bowl (i.e. will not beat OSU). I will be buying RB tickets immediately after the conclusion of the game next week if they beat Wisconsin. I think that's a safe bet.

Along those lines, I was fully prepared to buy RB tickets had they beat Iowa. I would have gambled they beat NU, and the outcome of the final regular season game would have been moot.

Beat Wisconsin!!

PSU is likely to be ranked higher than MN or WI at the end of the season.
But the Rose Bowl could decide to ask the winner of the WI/MN game.
It is their choice.

if the Gophers lose close to OSU I think they get the nod over PSU. Selling PJ, 59 year wait > selling PSU helmet school IMO. This year only.

Badgers lose the title game PSU goes unless PSU loseS next week.

It is their choice.

How do you figure they'd be ranked higher than the winner of Minnesota/Wisconsin??

It is their choice.

So you think with a matching record but a head to head win over PSU, they'd select them? No, man. Under no circumstance

How do you figure they'd be ranked higher than the winner of Minnesota/Wisconsin??
Penn state will not be ranked highr than us and will not go to the Rose bowl no matter what. It will us or Wisconsin period, if osu goes to cfp.

Penn state will not be ranked highr than us and will not go to the Rose bowl no matter what. It will us or Wisconsin period, if osu goes to cfp.
I hope you are right, but if we are crushed by OSU, my bet is they take Penn State, since Penn State played them fairly tough.

To say there is no way Penn St could be ranked ahead of the Gophers at the end of the year is foolish. Which team was ranked higher heading into today's game?

I believe the Rose Book gets to choose and most likely the BIG choice will be between PSU and the winner of the WI/MN game if tOSU is in the CFP.
Ranking does not count at that point. It is the Rose Bowl's choice.

If Michigan beats OSU they could sneak into the conversation.

If we win next week and lose to OSU, we are going to the Rose Bowl. We are a huge story and the media attention to us going will be enough. But we have to win next week. Period.

To say there is no way Penn St could be ranked ahead of the Gophers at the end of the year is foolish. Which team was ranked higher heading into today's game?
They have since lost and we would have another top 15 win to our name. No way PSU would be ahead if we beat Wisconsin.

Don't bowls often pick teams that travel well?

If we win next week and lose to OSU, we are going to the Rose Bowl. We are a huge story and the media attention to us going will be enough. But we have to win next week. Period.

Almost without question. Yes. For a long, long time one of the tie-breakers was the team that not been to the Rose Bowl for the longest period of time. While that may not be the criteria anymore, there's little doubt it plays a factor.

I believe the Rose Book gets to choose and most likely the BIG choice will be between PSU and the winner of the WI/MN game if tOSU is in the CFP.
Wrong but nice try troll. How do folks like you and Veritas get onto this board using multiple monikers?

So, if we beat Sconnie, but get plastered by OSU and Penn State ends up ahead of us in the final rankings, who do you believe the Rose Bowl would choose and why?

If Michigan beats OSU they could sneak into the conversation.
I agree! If Michigan plays OSU very tough but loses I still think they are the 2nd best team in the conference. If Minnesota beats Wisconsin which I think they will...then here is how I would rank them:

1. OSU
2. Michigan
3. Penn St.
4. Minnesota
5. Wisconsin
6. Iowa
7. Indiana
8. Illinois
9. Michigan St. & Nebraska
11. Northwestern
12. Maryland
13. Rutgers

Just an opinion. Go Gophers! Go Illini!

Hotel room in Pasadena is booked, have not bought game tickets yet.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Gophers beat Wisky next week, I'm essentially gambling they are going to the Rose Bowl (i.e. will not beat OSU). I will be buying RB tickets immediately after the conclusion of the game next week if they beat Wisconsin. I think that's a safe bet.

Along those lines, I was fully prepared to buy RB tickets had they beat Iowa. I would have gambled they beat NU, and the outcome of the final regular season game would have been moot.

Beat Wisconsin!!
I suspect there may be a short period of time where tickets when fans of other teams dump their tickets.

So, if we beat Sconnie, but get plastered by OSU and Penn State ends up ahead of us in the final rankings, who do you believe the Rose Bowl would choose and why?

The committee sucks but they’re not brain dead. They would not rank PSU ahead of us in that scenario.

I agree! If Michigan plays OSU very tough but loses I still think they are the 2nd best team in the conference. If Minnesota beats Wisconsin which I think they will...then here is how I would rank them:

1. OSU
2. Michigan
3. Penn St.
4. Minnesota
5. Wisconsin
6. Iowa
7. Indiana
8. Illinois
9. Michigan St. & Nebraska
11. Northwestern
12. Maryland
13. Rutgers

Just an opinion. Go Gophers! Go Illini!
This person loves quality losses more than anyone apparently.

I think that ranking was kind of flukey in that the committee didn’t give itself any room to account for a Gopher loss to Iowa. They had to drop Minnesota a little, but that would’ve also meant dropping Penn State. It sets a bit of a precedent to drop a team because a team that beat them lost.

FWIW - new sp+ ratings after this weekend's games: (B1G teams only)
1. OSU 7. PSU 10. Mich 12. Wisc 14. Gophers

Often said about me when I was the only Gopher Football fan in my circle.
Similar sentiments
But unlike Illini Fan, perhaps we were slightly more rationale than to put a 3 loss team number 2. Additionally, I would hope we were intelligent enough not to list a team that lost in a head to head (against a team w two top 15 wins) as number 3 ahead of the team they lost to.

Similar sentiments
But unlike Illini Fan, perhaps we were slightly more rationale than to put a 3 loss team number 2. Additionally, I would hope we were intelligent enough not to list a team that lost in a head to head (against a team w two top 15 wins) as number 3 ahead of the team they lost to.
I hope I remained rational during the time in the wilderness.

Top Bottom