Hello Gophers I come in peace

Greatly appreciate your insight, analysis, and willingness to share with fellow Gopherhole members wsufan99. It's been fun following your team the last 2 seasons. I look forward to Monday evenings watching the YouTube Channel of Cougar Athletics' pressers with Coach Leach and Players. I really like the way they end those with a "Student Question" and appreciate Coach Leach's approach to answering any and all questions. Your assessment of him is spot on.....particularly in regards to the running game approach as shuffle passes / swing passes to the backs are runs in his offensive philosophy. Some questions for you:
1. Who is the journalist (I think female writer out of Seattle?) that calls in weekly to the press conferences?
2. Is Buddy Levy, "Geronimo" book co-author with Leach, a supporter / fanof football? That book is outstanding, by the way.
3. If you've been to practices, does Coach still have his kids do "rollers"?
4. Wasn't Falk a walk on when he took over for C. Halladay?
Thanks again for sharing!
Buck

The rushing ranking is misleading I guess as it is due to Leach's offense. The three backs have rushed for 1584 yards and average 6.1, 8, and 5.7 yards per carry. They had three games this year where they just deiced to run it and had over 200 in each. Add in another 957 in passing, which are technically runs no pass less maybe 3 all year are more than 2 or 3 yards down field, most are swing passes, screens and shovel passes. They account for over half the touches in every game and that gets lost in the Leach tosses it 45 times a game stuff. RB is a huge aspect of his offense and no one realizes it unless you look at the box score.

When leach arrived the o-line was trash and the RB were worse. WSU had 6, seriously 6 scholarship lineman, we were one jump ahead of SMU after the death penalty. Now the starting left guard is one of the 3 Outland trophy finalists and the 3 backs who play each have a skill set that allows them to thrive in the system. One is a power back with speed, the other could play WR his hands are so good and the third is a freshman that if he had not blown his knee out as a senior in HS, we never would have snagged him. Guy is a freak, can do it all. Would be a feature type back in another offense, but Leach rotates them continually to keep each fresh.

Yeah, I like that you have passion...but that's like stating Air Force, Navy or Army's yards per completion (ranked 1, 3 & 4 in nation) and not see that as misleading that they have a passing game they could turn on if they really wanted to.

wsufan99 Oh dear lord the UNLV game. That game and the Auburn Trip the next year there no words said:
http://www.cougcenter.com/2012/9/14/3333232/wsu-vs-unlv-alcohol-flights[/url]

http://www.cougcenter.com/2013/8/30/4678272/wsu-coug-cougs-fans-auburn-football-bar-runs-out-of-beer

Oh and one last thing fireball guy from dad's weekend 2012. Was 14 degrees and UCLA was killing us. This video in slow motion is awesome was live on ESPN when they came back from a commercial break.

http://deadspin.com/5959805/the-was...hiskey-at-saturdays-game-deserves-our-acclaim

Not since TXAggie's epic thread the first year we played in Houston against TT have we had a guest like wsufan99. This post alone has the potential for this thread to flirt with being epic. The fireball whiskey chug is simply awesome! Keep it coming!!!

Greatly appreciate your insight, analysis, and willingness to share with fellow Gopherhole members wsufan99. It's been fun following your team the last 2 seasons. I look forward to Monday evenings watching the YouTube Channel of Cougar Athletics' pressers with Coach Leach and Players. I really like the way they end those with a "Student Question" and appreciate Coach Leach's approach to answering any and all questions. Your assessment of him is spot on.....particularly in regards to the running game approach as shuffle passes / swing passes to the backs are runs in his offensive philosophy. Some questions for you:
1. Who is the journalist (I think female writer out of Seattle?) that calls in weekly to the press conferences?
2. Is Buddy Levy, "Geronimo" book co-author with Leach, a supporter / fanof football? That book is outstanding, by the way.
3. If you've been to practices, does Coach still have his kids do "rollers"?
4. Wasn't Falk a walk on when he took over for C. Halladay?
Thanks again for sharing!
Buck

Love the Buck photo by the way. Ok before I go on, some info about me. I am the son of a coach, a very good former HS coach in Washington that won a couple of state titles and who learned his craft at the ultimate HS football power in the 50 and 60's here. This HS produced Price, Lambright and Erickson in a 5 year span. In order, he coached one's pop Warner team, is best friends with one, and the last one's dad was his offensive coordinator and drove my grandmother to church after my grandfather died. I lived on the sidelines and road the team buses form the time I could walk, I know football. When I was in school I played for my dad in the big school league in central Washington. It is like west texas in a way, nothing to do on a Friday, but go to the game. They have huge stadiums especially in the towns of Pasco, Richland and Kennewick. They are all 5 miles from each other and have stadiums that seat between 10 and 12,000 and are packed every week. The kennewick school won the state title 2 days ago, out of like 43 state playoffs years a school from this league as played or won it about 15 times. Lastly played against Drew Bledsoe 4 times, that was enough, he was that good.

1) yes she is from Seattle, but the damn paper makes you pay for articles. She came to the beat last year and has done a really good job. The Spokane paper is your best bet for anything WSU. They have a sportslink that is free.

2) Levy approached Leach about a book prior to his coming to WSU, little did he know that when he was hired at WSU he was a professor there. Worked out well.

3) yes been to practices. When Leach was hired my dad wanted to go see one as we both read his book and wanted to see one first hand, the old coach was stoked. Yes he rolls them, OMG not so much anymore but when he got there yep. My dad's first job out of basically HS when he was 18 was an assistant coach at an all boys catholic school while going to college in Eastern Washington. When rolled the offensive line after the WSU practice that day and my dad stood there and was just blown away. He started coaching in the days when giving water to the players was considered being soft and just basically doing anything they wanted to the kids at practice as their parents did not care as long as they came home to work on the hop farms after school. The lineman came off with tomato faces and those rubber pebbles everywhere from the turf. We walked to the car to go back to our motel for the night and he just looked and me and said, "we did some nasty stuff to kids back in 1962, but that was by far the most hard ass practice I have ever watched college kids go through"

4) Nope Halliday was a Junior when Falk showed up. Crazy thing happend with Falk. WSU had a commit from a 4 star stud with offers from everyone. He got cold feet before signing day and Leach and crew went out to find the best walk on they could as a back up. Well they both came. If you don't know the Falk story it is insane, kid had a FSU offer before the whole thing went south. Spring ball came in 2014 and Falk just destroyed the 4 star kid and he transferred out in July. Haliday broke his leg vs SC and Falk has been the guy since. Haliday was all about himself, would not check to a run ever. Look at the Cal game in 2014 tossed for 735 even told Leach he was gonna break the record that day. Falk is why WSU has the best record in the PAC 12 the last 2 seasons, just beyond unselfish. Does not care about stats just wants to win.

Not since TXAggie's epic thread the first year we played in Houston against TT have we had a guest like wsufan99. This post alone has the potential for this thread to flirt with being epic. The fireball whiskey chug is simply awesome! Keep it coming!!!

I am a football coaches son, I get it. But I am also a die hard Coug. WSU is a special place. It is the smallest town in America with an FBS Power 5 football program in it. There is one 2 lane road in from Seattle and it goes for 160 miles from where you exit I-90 and it meets the road from Spokane in the town of Colfax population 2880 15 miles from Pullman. On gamedays the only people on this road are Cougs going to Pullman, it is really cool.

Here is a video of a plane landing there, look how tiny Pullman is. Leach's house is by that first water tower .

we have a bad ass golf course on campus, the legacy of our idiot former President Lane Rawlins. Built it while the football program went to hell. He was Mormon(not that there is anything wrong with that) but he tried to get rid of our WAZZU stuff, alums went nuts. Kids used to leave him 6 packs on his porch all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqx6aMffvA8

Here is a drone shot of the stadium. It is right in the middle of campus. They spent 130 million on it since 2012, looked nothing like this 4 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu799aPVyvk

Oh and the greatest place ever The Dunes. The Snake river is 18 miles from campus and if there is an away game the first couple of weeks in the fall it looks like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiCY9ZSpBNM

Yeah, I like that you have passion...but that's like stating Air Force, Navy or Army's yards per completion (ranked 1, 3 & 4 in nation) and not see that as misleading that they have a passing game they could turn on if they really wanted to.

No I am not saying that. I am saying that WSU can run the ball for the first time in in Leach's time here, they have the line skill and running back talent to do it and Luke Falk unlike Leach's first QB here could care less about stats. There is a reason why that guy tossed for 735 yards in a game in 2014 and we lost 60-59 and WSU only won 9 games with him at QB. The offense is all based on what the defense shows. Every play called in is a pass and if you have 7 or 8 in the box, it stays as a pass or is switched to a passing play that will try to beat your look. If you come up with 6 in the box it will most likely be switched to a run. Leach's QB has total power to do anything they want within the offense, that is very rare in this day in age.

Falk is a special kid, was a big time recruit in HS and made a poor decision to move to LA from Utah and attend a football factory. He lasted about a month and moved home. He lost his entire junior year and lost his full ride to Florida State in the process. He was lost in the recruiting shuffle when JR's get their offers and none were left after his senior yeaer in Utah where he set every passing record imaginable. He was featured on CNN the summer before his junior year here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvpaUZWZhwQ

No I am not saying that. I am saying that WSU can run the ball for the first time in in Leach's time here, they have the line skill and running back talent to do it and Luke Falk unlike Leach's first QB here could care less about stats. There is a reason why that guy tossed for 735 yards in a game in 2014 and we lost 60-59 and WSU only won 9 games with him at QB. The offense is all based on what the defense shows. Every play called in is a pass and if you have 7 or 8 in the box, it stays as a pass or is switched to a passing play that will try to beat your look. If you come up with 6 in the box it will most likely be switched to a run. Leach's QB has total power to do anything they want within the offense, that is very rare in this day in age.

Falk is a special kid, was a big time recruit in HS and made a poor decision to move to LA from Utah and attend a football factory. He lasted about a month and moved home. He lost his entire junior year and lost his full ride to Florida State in the process. He was lost in the recruiting shuffle when JR's get their offers and none were left after his senior yeaer in Utah where he set every passing record imaginable. He was featured on CNN the summer before his junior year here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvpaUZWZhwQ

Wash St is #2 in pass offense and #114 in rush offense. It's a rush if needed offense. Your leading rusher is ranked 168. The U's back up is ranked 12 spots higher.

Wash St is #2 in pass offense and #114 in rush offense. It's a rush if needed offense. Your leading rusher is ranked 168. The U's back up is ranked 12 spots higher.

Exactly and I know 114 is not great, but compared to where we came from with Leach in 2012 it is a milestone.

We were so bad it was unreal.

Leach showed up to 6 lineman on scholarship the first spring in 2012 and 3 RB who should have been playing in the FCS.

The line averaged 270lbs, lead the nation in sacks given up over 50, was dead last in rushing averaging 45 yards a game and won 3 times.

Fast forward to 2016.

20 lineman on scholarship

The line averages 325, gave up 23 sacks on 612 pass attempts, they average 137 a game on the ground and have the best record in the PAC 12 at 13-5 in the last 2 years.

We still don't run the ball like other teams but now you actually have to account for the past 2 years every little bit helps. Those poor QBs his 1st 2 seasons took a beating as they were just a stationary target with zero change we could run.

I don't think he's trying to say we (Wazzu) are a run first offense. Obviously that isn't the case. But if you over commit to the pass we can hurt you with the run game. That might sound obvious to most football fans but it is new to us. Our run game was so bad the last few years that teams would only put 5 or 6 in the box and still stop our running plays for losses. The fact that defenses now have to at least respect our run game is a major reason for the teams improvement this year.

I don't think he's trying to say we (Wazzu) are a run first offense. Obviously that isn't the case. But if you over commit to the pass we can hurt you with the run game. That might sound obvious to most football fans but it is new to us. Our run game was so bad the last few years that teams would only put 5 or 6 in the box and still stop our running plays for losses. The fact that defenses now have to at least respect our run game is a major reason for the teams improvement this year.
In a nutshell WSU runs enough to keep you honest! It's the opposite of us, where when Mitch is playing OK, we pass enough to keep you honest. The game will come down to which team can make the other one dimensional. I don't know enough about WSU's pass defense, to guess what they'll do, but Mitch Liedner seems to do better against zone.

WSU guys, is there a good free WSU bulletin board?
The only 2 are the Rivals and the Scout board. A free just never has never ever materialized. You have to apply for Scout access and the free board kind of died when they did that, use to be a pretty good place. I was just on the pay of it end this AM and there are like 1800 people signed in to the board overall .

I love stories like that. Redemption story and an example of the coaches doing their homework and recognizing talent.

wsuFan99

I believe Falk is outstanding. Having said that, I think the downside to him (only according to what I've read) is that he isn't under center. While I personally think he has the skill set, mentality, and intelligence to perform at a high level, I wonder if that concern is legitimate. Interested in your opinion.

The Falk kid is interesting as he is a legit NFL guy, has to be the 1st that Leach might have ever had.

Leach coached both Kliff Kingsbury and Graham Harrell at Texas Tech.

Will be interesting. WSU was a tale of 3 seasons.

They went through major adversity the first 2 weeks(would not have lost those games now) then won 8 straigt and had some some key injuries at the time of of the CU game. Really hurt on defense and inside WR. They dropped 3td passes, game was closer than the final.

I am a season ticket holder and UW is legit, they have it all, but Bama still gonna launch them.

WSU fans are fun, OMG you have no clue. Google Cougs drink plane and bar out it was epic at auburn in 2013. This is a big bowl for us as 15,000 WSU alums live within 5 hours of San Diego. WSU will sell a crapload of tickets. Plus most of WSUs commits are from LA and San Diego. WSU did not play in LA this year so this will be a defecto recruiting trip.

Anything you want to know just pick my brain.

only thing I have to say is WSU's backs are really good, very under valued. They have rushed for 1600 yards and have almost 1000 yards receiving. The short pass game is extension of the The run game.

Hey WSUfan. Hope you are recovering well. Obviously our fanbase was sidetracked the last couple weeks so didn't get into the pregame Xs & Os with you, but we do appreciate that you wanted to have that conversation - and on the insight you provided about your team and campus.

I would be very curious to get your thoughts on the game last night. Safe to say it isn't what any of us expected. We are amazed at the defensive scheme our coaches utilized last night and frankly surprised that your coach/team never found an answer for it (Leach is fairly well respected on this board).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom