Hawkeye Fan coming in peace...

PapaHawk21

Reaction score
I am currently a student at the University of Iowa but went to high school at Lakeville North in the south metro. I follow Minnesota sports closely and have many friends that attend the U of M. I work for the student radio station at Iowa as a sports analyst and co-host a student tv show regarding college sports. Here is my two cents regarding the gopher football program. I hope that this can be a civil discussion because there is nothing more enjoyable than a lively college football discussion.

Tim Brewster, while sometimes outlandish in his claims, is probably the right coach for Minnesota. He is bringing in talent, energy and fire to a program that needs a new identity. His first three seasons, while not great in our instant gratification society, lead me to believe Minnesota will be a much better program soon. This issues that seem to be holding the program back stem from discontinuity in the coaching staff, the coordinators more specifically. When a team fails to keep coordinators inevitably the structure of a team will deteriorate. Iowa has been able to keep a core group of coordinators in the Ferentz Era, which allows recruits and players to feel the comfort of stability. I do not know if the core group at Minnesota are the right guys but in the long-run continuity establishes stability and unity within a program.

My gopher comrades are quite reactionary and continue to tell me that Brewster needs to be fired, which will only exacerbate the situation at this point. If Iowa had fired Ferentz after three seasons (1-10, 3-9, 7-5) I highly doubt Iowa would have gone on to share two big10 titles, win 5 bowl games and the Orange Bowl this season. Give Brewster the next two seasons to prove his worth with his recruits and whatever offensive scheme he chooses. I truly believe Minnesota will be the next Iowa and Wisconsin during this decade. Be patient, the future is probably better than most of you think. Improvement at Minnesota helps Iowa, Wisconsin and the rest of the big10. Good luck and I hope we can continue to have honest and thoughtful discussion during the off-season and next college football season.

Nice post. Agree on all fronts. I'll look forward to future discussions with you, particularly as we head into next season.

BTW, solid season this year. Well done.

That was an unnatural post.

Yes, that is how I see it as well. He is attempting to tip over the apple cart. It's bound to piss off those who stacked it so neatly.

Hi PH21 and welcome -

"If Iowa had fired Ferentz after three seasons (1-10, 3-9, 7-5) I highly doubt Iowa would have gone on to share two big10 titles..."

That's great news for us Gopher fans because as everyone knows Ferentz's team went 11 and 1 in his fourth season, and has been highly successful since.

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ferentz_kirk00.html

Looking forward to 11 and 1.

Greetings from the SouthMetro.

Understandable, but my mistake.

AhliBobwa (1/7/2010 at 2:21 PM) Report Violation
Hey everyone! I thought you would all get a kick out of what a ridiculous tool PantherHawk is. For your enjoyment here are some of PantherHawk's light saber ridden myspace pics. I also included some Harry Potter fan fiction which PantherHawk wrote an impassioned, albeit largely misspelled review about.
http://viewmorepics .myspace.com/index.c fm?fuseaction=user.v iewPicture&frien dID=42455501&alb umId=73324
Review #85, by PantherHawk A Short Trip Goes a Long Way
21st March 2004:
This was an awsome chapter. You actually get to see the closness between the Weasley family that you know exists but don't get to see very often. It had a lot of emotions while reading story over all but this chapter really hit me and infact it almost made me cry (I'm a emotional nutcase sometimes when it comes to these kind of things, family is very important to me:) ) I love it that your evolving the characters, and that we got to see this moment between Ron and his Dad. Very nice. Can't wait tell the next, especailly to see what Ron has to say to Harry, and of course to see what the twins are up to. Oh, ok I admit I'm just totally adicted and can't wait to see what happens overall to everybo

Yesterday it was me, today it's you! In reality, I think it's the little green man who lives under Icehead12's bed.

"Icehead"? That great wit is hard to match.

That wasn't me that ID'ed you T-Hard PantherHawk. Sorry to get you confused but you change monikers more often then most people change their socks. Didn't mean to interrupt Light Saber practice.

"Icehead"? That great wit is hard to match.

That wasn't me that ID'ed you T-Hard PantherHawk. Sorry to get you confused but you change monikers more often then most people change their socks. Didn't mean to interrupt Light Saber practice.

Say what?

So help me understand, because I respond to a post saying it would be great for (OUR) Gophers to go 11-1, i'm a suspected Hawkeye backer?

Wow, some people should think about actually attending the U.

SouthMetro

So help me understand, because I respond to a post saying it would be great for (OUR) Gophers to go 11-1, i'm a suspected Hawkeye backer?

Wow, some people should think about actually attending the U.

SouthMetro

Your praise of Ferentz sounded about right, but after reading your posts how the hell was anybody suppose to think that you were being sincere, rather then being sarcastic. :eek:

I only read sarcasm. So if he wasn't, you weren't the only one to think so.

Guys - - it was mean't to be sarcasm obviously, but how did the poster tie my sarcasm into being a Hawk backer? I don't get it as i've stated my history and allegiance more than once.

SouthMetro

Guys - - it was mean't to be sarcasm obviously, but how did the poster tie my sarcasm into being a Hawk backer? I don't get it as i've stated my history and allegiance more than once.

SouthMetro

I'll take you at your word, since your last response to me was solid.

You posted something Hawkeye related (don't recall specifically what it was) on here at almost exactly the same time as someone posted an identical message on KFAN's board. That, coupled with your positive statements about Iowa seemed eerily similar to something PAntherhawk (a psychotic anti-Gopher from Iowa who even the Hawkeye fans hate) would have done. Hence the references to Pantherhawk.

Eff my life if you end up being Pantherhawk and I just lowered myself down to explaining something to you. :cool:

I am currently a student at the University of Iowa but went to high school at Lakeville North in the south metro. I follow Minnesota sports closely and have many friends that attend the U of M. I work for the student radio station at Iowa as a sports analyst and co-host a student tv show regarding college sports. Here is my two cents regarding the gopher football program. I hope that this can be a civil discussion because there is nothing more enjoyable than a lively college football discussion.

Tim Brewster, while sometimes outlandish in his claims, is probably the right coach for Minnesota. He is bringing in talent, energy and fire to a program that needs a new identity. His first three seasons, while not great in our instant gratification society, lead me to believe Minnesota will be a much better program soon. This issues that seem to be holding the program back stem from discontinuity in the coaching staff, the coordinators more specifically. When a team fails to keep coordinators inevitably the structure of a team will deteriorate. Iowa has been able to keep a core group of coordinators in the Ferentz Era, which allows recruits and players to feel the comfort of stability. I do not know if the core group at Minnesota are the right guys but in the long-run continuity establishes stability and unity within a program.

My gopher comrades are quite reactionary and continue to tell me that Brewster needs to be fired, which will only exacerbate the situation at this point. If Iowa had fired Ferentz after three seasons (1-10, 3-9, 7-5) I highly doubt Iowa would have gone on to share two big10 titles, win 5 bowl games and the Orange Bowl this season. Give Brewster the next two seasons to prove his worth with his recruits and whatever offensive scheme he chooses. I truly believe Minnesota will be the next Iowa and Wisconsin during this decade. Be patient, the future is probably better than most of you think. Improvement at Minnesota helps Iowa, Wisconsin and the rest of the big10. Good luck and I hope we can continue to have honest and thoughtful discussion during the off-season and next college football season.

Agree, but as an Iowa fan, my only response is - get bent.

Trust me i'm not, but I will check out this KFAN board. Do you guys post on it?

SouthMetro

For what it's worth, solid analysis.

I can't relate. When I was in HS there was only one lakeville school.

If all hawkeye fans were so nice, I could be an Iowa fan. I have a lot of trouble, though, believing that Brewster is Ferentz. Ferentz is probably one of the top 2-3 coaches in the entire nation. Brewster is... an unknown commodity according to your post.

I do want to believe you, and truly appreciate this post. I hope Iowa fans that aren't as decent as you have gotten some humility from your basketball season. Even though Minnesota football competes somewhat better than Iowa basketball, they are both losers and it hurts. I know that true Iowa fans know if Iowa were playing .500 bball, it wouldn't hurt any less.

I agree we're headed in the right direction recruiting wise, in the classroom & by generating fan interest. That said it'd be nice to have some real victories, not just moral victories. There is a sinking feeling that even I, a diehard Brew supporter feels. I'm really hoping we can go 6-6 again net year, win a trophy and stage an upset. That'd be enough to get me fired up again.

Top Bottom