Have any players said...

upnorthkid

Reaction score
if they're committed to coming back next year yet? i know its really early yet but it just makes me anxious to see who stays and goes. here's to hoping they all stay and we have an absolutely beastly team next year!

I am a little bit scared. I think if the guys who I have on my "probably will leave" and "might leave" lists leave in large numbers, we'll have a bit of a problem. Budish has said we will be back. Bjugstad, Schmidt, and Haula have not said they are leaving (per the Star Tribune), but I would be shocked if we see number 27 on the ice next year. The one big thing in our favor is that Florida is right in the cellar for the Eastern Conference, so the Panthers don't have the pressing need to pull him up for more depth in case of injury during a potential playoff run.

Helgeson was the only true senior, so he'll obviously be gone. I think he deserves a lot of thanks for being a solid defensive player that received less attention than a lot of the skilled offensive defenseman whose mistakes he had to deal with back in his own end. I loved watching Seth's game.

I am a little bit scared. I think if the guys who I have on my "probably will leave" and "might leave" lists leave in large numbers, we'll have a bit of a problem. Budish has said we will be back. Bjugstad, Schmidt, and Haula have not said they are leaving (per the Star Tribune), but I would be shocked if we see number 27 on the ice next year. The one big thing in our favor is that Florida is right in the cellar for the Eastern Conference, so the Panthers don't have the pressing need to pull him up for more depth in case of injury during a potential playoff run.

Helgeson was the only true senior, so he'll obviously be gone. I think he deserves a lot of thanks for being a solid defensive player that received less attention than a lot of the skilled offensive defenseman whose mistakes he had to deal with back in his own end. I loved watching Seth's game.

Part of me says Haula comes back because he's going to be buried in the depth chart for the wild. bjugstad would be wise, imo, to come back for the sense that he really really underachieved by his lofty expectations. he was considered the preseason front runner for the hobey and didn't even make the discussion. if he came back and dominated, he'd really have more to bargain with. schmidt i'm kind of scared will go. he was definitely my favorite player this year and i'd hate to lose him. hope he decides he wants to give it one more go but i'm not overly optimistic.

Dubay tweet: Bjugstad, Budish, Haula and Schmidt all leaving in next week or two. Schmidt looking hard at Capitals. Could be soon

Go Gophers!!

seemed like they were trying to say budish already signed but nothing to confirm as of now. would love to see at least 2 of the 3 remaining big guys come back.

budish has made it official and signed with the preds.

Bjugstad signs with the Panthers. Blargh.

Bjugstad, Schmidt, Budish...Gophs get gutted...

Darn it, I wish those guys would have peaked in April instead of November.

*sigh*

Go Gophers!

hopefully Haula doesn't get offered with Wild adding Pominville today...

They have a really great recruiting class the 2 leading scorers in the ushl we will be fine wish, all moving on good luck it was a great watching you work your tail off for the U

Erik Haula signed with the Minnesota Wild, on his way to Houston as we speak.

The way these guys played down the stretch, you could tell they were all more interested in signing their contracts than actually winning anything. Disappointing to say the least, but it's to be expected in this day and age I guess.

so are we thinking this is who we'll approximately have?? any ideas who'll be the hole fillers come next season?

Guertler, Cammaratta, Fasching, Kloos and Brodzinski to name a few. We will be young but plenty of talent. Two questions:

1. With all the departures, will the Gophers accelerate the arrivals of Lettieri and Nanne?
2. Are these departures a sign that Lucia is losing his appeal within the lockerroom?

Maybe Hammy has some insight here.

Guertler, Cammaratta, Fasching, Kloos and Brodzinski to name a few. We will be young but plenty of talent. Two questions:

1. With all the departures, will the Gophers accelerate the arrivals of Lettieri and Nanne?
2. Are these departures a sign that Lucia is losing his appeal within the lockerroom?

Maybe Hammy has some insight here.

I think there were some signs that Lucia was losing the locker room over the years, but this isn't one. These are players who games have likely matured as much as they will on a college team. We aren't used to this happening as much in basketball or football because our teams frankly aren't that talented. However, on elite teams like Gopher hockey, it is a reality today that playing college is not the end game but a step towards playing in the pros. Once they think they are ready, it is time to move on. If I had a 20 year old son playing for the Gophs and the scouts thought he was ready, I think my advice would be "son, this is your dream, get out there and play like you can. Just make sure you save enough money to come back and finish your degree in case you aren't as good as we think you are, or heaven forbid, you have a career ending injury early on. Remember, if you come back and injure yourself in college, you might not ever get that signing bonus or that chance to play professionally." Good luck to all these players, they were some of my favorites on the team.

Is it safe to say the Gophers lose more players than other teams to the NHL each year? If not it sure seems like it.

Top Bottom