Has anyone seen any marketing by Coyle to get this opener sold out, sell some more season tix?

As the AD he's the head of the head of marketing. All departments flow up to him.
Yeh, well, I'd sooner he concentrate on having the correct coaches and ensuring their success moreso than whether the Director or marketing is making specific ad buys.

Yeh, well, I'd sooner he concentrate on having the correct coaches and ensuring their success moreso than whether the Director or marketing is making specific ad buys.
It seems as if a couple of you are getting hung up on Coyle's name being attached. How about rephrasing the OP to "Coyle's Team"?

It's his department. He is responsible for the overall success of the department. Part of that success is having money for facilities/programs (without cutting them). Money can be generated by selling more tickets. Marketing can/should be able to generate ticket sales.

I think the OP is a fair question to ask. Are Coyle and his department doing enough to market the team? Personally, I haven't seen a whole lot of advertising other than emails.

fwiw; Gophers versus Buckeye tickets are by far the most expensive in the B1G that weekend at $83 minimum on the resale sites. If you buy from the U they are going for $125 a pop. Penn State at Wisconsin tickets are going for $58.

I think the Gophers are holding out to get people into season tickets. Sure - you could buy one ticket to the OSU game for $125 - or you could buy the same seat for the full season for $310. Might mean the stadium isn't completely sold out, but it's the right long-term move.
Location of the U tickets vs resellers is key. Are you confirming the $310 ST are in fact the same seats as those selling for $125 as singles?

Sure. But if he is good at his job he delegates it to others.
Yes, of course he does; I'm not suggesting Coyle personally plans or executes marketing programs. But ultimately he's responsible for all things that go on in his department, especially concerning revenue generation. So while the OP's headline may have been a bit misleading because Coyle doesn't personally own marketing, in effect he does.

here's an excerpt from Coyle's Q & A in the Strib this week:

Q: What does the football season ticket situation look like after not having fans last season at TCF Bank Stadium?

A:First of all, if you go back to the [2019] Penn State game, you go back to the Wisconsin game, you go to the Outback Bowl, you saw the fans and how they showed up and were a part of it, and we have done a lot of external events with fans this summer. The first thing I tell them is how much we miss them. They're such a big part of what we do, day in and day out. … I've been told by our marketing people, I think we have 6,000 new season tickets [24,039 football non-student season tickets]. We've doubled the number of student season tickets [6,592 total]. We anticipate the Ohio State game will sell out here shortly, so obviously there's great excitement.

here's an excerpt from Coyle's Q & A in the Strib this week:

Q: What does the football season ticket situation look like after not having fans last season at TCF Bank Stadium?

A:First of all, if you go back to the [2019] Penn State game, you go back to the Wisconsin game, you go to the Outback Bowl, you saw the fans and how they showed up and were a part of it, and we have done a lot of external events with fans this summer. The first thing I tell them is how much we miss them. They're such a big part of what we do, day in and day out. … I've been told by our marketing people, I think we have 6,000 new season tickets [24,039 football non-student season tickets]. We've doubled the number of student season tickets [6,592 total]. We anticipate the Ohio State game will sell out here shortly, so obviously there's great excitement.
This is great news- wish it would be broadcasted more openly. Look at Jamie Pollard at Iowa State. He’s constantly tweeting updates about season ticket numbers and how they compare to previous years. It’s a small thing that helps build excitement for the season.

My public school math says just shy of 31,000 season tickets sold.

What does H Bank hold?

I for one am a new season ticket holder. V excited.

Location of the U tickets vs resellers is key. Are you confirming the $310 ST are in fact the same seats as those selling for $125 as singles?
Same section, not going to put in the time to confirm same seat.

Top Bottom