Hard to understand...

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
The rule about receivers having to have control of the ball all the way down, even when going out of bounds or crossing the goal line. If a runner is "on or above" the goal line, it's a TD, even if he fumbles after that moment. Why is that not the case for receivers, including going out of bounds with the ball? If he hits either line with control, what happens after that should be immaterial. Also, on a lighter note, what is the aversion Fleck has for school colors, which are the beautiful autumn tandem of maroon and gold? Today all-white, blah. Earlier, all-black,. worse than blah. MN has a brand name bestowed by the media in the 1930s and just about every network uses it: Golden Gophers. At the very least, road uniforms should have gold helmets. And why change uniforms every week? USC doesn't, FL doesn't, Michigan doesn't, Nebraska doesn't, etc. Maybe - with gold, maroon and white to work with - something offbeat on a special occasion, but some predictability in uniform ID would be nice.

Another week with a geezer bitching about the uniform colors.

It's marketing. And not marketing to you, or any other fan. It's marketing to players and recruits, and if that helps recruiting, I don't care if they wear pink and chartruese.

It's marketing. And not marketing to you, or any other fan. It's marketing to players and recruits, and if that helps recruiting, I don't care if they wear pink and chartruese.
Maybe they should try that then as it doesn’t appear the current approach is helping 🤷‍♂️

The rule about receivers having to have control of the ball all the way down, even when going out of bounds or crossing the goal line. If a runner is "on or above" the goal line, it's a TD, even if he fumbles after that moment. Why is that not the case for receivers, including going out of bounds with the ball? If he hits either line with control, what happens after that should be immaterial. Also, on a lighter note, what is the aversion Fleck has for school colors, which are the beautiful autumn tandem of maroon and gold? Today all-white, blah. Earlier, all-black,. worse than blah. MN has a brand name bestowed by the media in the 1930s and just about every network uses it: Golden Gophers. At the very least, road uniforms should have gold helmets. And why change uniforms every week? USC doesn't, FL doesn't, Michigan doesn't, Nebraska doesn't, etc. Maybe - with gold, maroon and white to work with - something offbeat on a special occasion, but some predictability in uniform ID would be nice.
Are uni combos are clean old man

I agree but it’s a big “if” I think. I don’t ever recall a player going to a team because of the uniforms. I had a friend who was a big 10 wrestler and when I asked him why he choose the particular school he did I was told it came down to facility’s and student housing for him anyway. Not sure about housing but Minnesota has come a long way in facility’s since the dome days.

It could be a big 'if' but I would have to think that the big 3 - Nike, Adidas and Under Armour have done some research on this topic.

...Golden Gophers. At the very least, road uniforms should have gold helmets. And why change uniforms every week? USC doesn't, FL doesn't, Michigan doesn't, Nebraska doesn't, etc. Maybe - with gold, maroon and white to work with - something offbeat on a special occasion, but some predictability in uniform ID would be nice.

The rule about receivers having to have control of the ball all the way down, even when going out of bounds or crossing the goal line. If a runner is "on or above" the goal line, it's a TD, even if he fumbles after that moment. Why is that not the case for receivers, including going out of bounds with the ball? If he hits either line with control, what happens after that should be immaterial.
Runners have control of the ball. WR's don't have control until they make a football move. Once they make a football move, they become a runner.

Maybe they should try that then as it doesn’t appear the current approach is helping 🤷‍♂️
This. Does anyone really believe 1) recruits are choosing a school because of the uniform combos, and more importantly 2) All the flashy combos of the last bunch of years have increased our recruiting talent? Sure didn't look like it the past two weeks.

If we have to rely on uniforms to recruit talent then we are not a program that will have long term success. How often does Michigan, Ohio State and Penn St. put on spiffy duds? They seem to be able to recruit talent.

This. Does anyone really believe 1) recruits are choosing a school because of the uniform combos, and more importantly 2) All the flashy combos of the last bunch of years have increased our recruiting talent? Sure didn't look like it the past two weeks.

If we have to rely on uniforms to recruit talent then we are not a program that will have long term success. How often does Michigan, Ohio State and Penn St. put on spiffy duds? They seem to be able to recruit talent.
Then why do some schools do it? I have to think there are marketing metrics that programs follow that give reasons for doing so.

Is it THE reason someone would choose a program. Probably not (though who knows why teenagers do certain things?). Is it a positive for some? It likely is.

It's not a ploy to sell merch I don't think, because the U has never (unless this changed) sold authentic jerseys. I don't even think they sell authentic hockey jerseys.

I’m ok with never seeing surrender whites again. Maybe looking good translates to playing good.

Last edited:

Interesting discussion, but maybe it's just money. A contract with Nike or a similar outfit demands changing of uniforms. But Michigan, Florida, Nebraska rarely do it - just a once-in-a-great-while oddball use. Same for throw-back uniforms.

Top Bottom