Harbough method of rotating running backs

gopher71runner

Reaction score

Maybe Fleck ought to take a look at this

Jim Harbaugh’s approach to his running backs makes perfect sense

You don’t always get this level of candor from a head coach. On Monday, Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh was asked about Donovan Edwards, who has only 33 carries for just 109 yards and zero touchdowns so far this season. Harbaugh said that Edwards was good and nothing was wrong with the running backs room, and then he launched into a really interesting answer about running back usage.

“We play multiple backs because … for the players, it’s what’s good for them individually and what’s good as a team,” Harbaugh said. “I treat it like I’m their dad, like I’m their agent, I want what’s best for their career. I don’t believe in a guy carrying the ball 30 times a game. He may not have some of the stats that some of the other backs have. Even Blake (Corum), he’s running the ball really good, has 97 yards, we take him out of the game. I don’t think he needs another 100-yard game as much as he needs to be healthy. The lifespan of a back, their career, is, what on average? Maybe eight, nine, 10 years total, including college? So while they’re not getting paid, I don’t like to take the tread off the tire. Keep that tread out of the tire.

“So, there might be games where one back might be featured more than another. That’s kind of how it’s been here. Look at last year, the year before that, the year before that. … We’ll probably have this conversation again next week if Donovan carries more of the load. It’ll be, what happened to Blake?”

Credit to Harbaugh for positioning his running backs for the best possible professional careers, and for vocalizing it. It’s important to hear a high-profile coach talk this way about a position that has a short shelf life in the pros, especially at a time when the position has been devalued so greatly by NFL front offices.

In reality, there's really only been two years where Fleck hasn't rotated three RBs.

In another thread this week, someone posted a peer-reviewed paper that studied the correlation between high reps for running backs and success in the NFL (or impaired career). The study said there is no correlation.

That is not my opinion being supported by a paper. It's a paper influencing my thinking.

On the one hand, it makes common sense that a freshman is different in physical development than a junior, with variation. On the other hand, common sense and first-impressions are not always right. I'm no expert, and maybe there are papers the other way on this.

I don't know. Whatever it is, they should know and make the best choice for player and team. I'm sure players want to gain yards and TD to the limit, and then limit is the limit, whatever something/someone reputable says should be.

Don't the Gophers already follow the Harbaugh method for rotating running backs?

He is the offensive coordinator, after all. I thought either Harbaugh, run game coordinator Brian Callahan, or RB coach Nic McKissic-Luke handled such things, not PJ Fleck.

Don't the Gophers already follow the Harbaugh method for rotating running backs?

He is the offensive coordinator, after all. I thought either Harbaugh, run game coordinator Brian Callahan, or RB coach Nic McKissic-Luke handled such things, not PJ Fleck.
joke?

this is an article about Jim Harbah not Greg Harboh

I didn't like the way PJ used Mo and it looks like Taylor is going to be following the same kind of usage. I don't think it's good for the player or the team. I realize PJ gets paid the big bucks to make that decision and I'm just throwing my opinion against a wall, but it's an issue (IMO).

In another thread this week, someone posted a peer-reviewed paper that studied the correlation between high reps for running backs and success in the NFL (or impaired career). The study said there is no correlation.

That is not my opinion being supported by a paper. It's a paper influencing my thinking.

On the one hand, it makes common sense that a freshman is different in physical development than a junior, with variation. On the other hand, common sense and first-impressions are not always right. I'm no expert, and maybe there are papers the other way on this.

I don't know. Whatever it is, they should know and make the best choice for player and team. I'm sure players want to gain yards and TD to the limit, and then limit is the limit, whatever something/someone reputable says should be.
Which thread. Would love to read it.

Jim has that luxury.

If he had only one good RB… he would play him.

Next up from Jim

“We win because we care about our players.”

Top Bottom