Harbaugh is seeking language that would grant him immunity from termination from any finding or sanction that could arise from multiple current NCAA

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Yahoo:

Even as Jim Harbaugh meets with NFL teams about coaching opportunities, specifically the Los Angeles Chargers early this week, he remains engaged in discussions with Michigan about a contract extension that includes unusual termination clauses should he choose to stay in Ann Arbor, according to industry sources.

Specifically, Harbaugh is seeking language that would grant him immunity from termination from any finding or sanction that could arise from multiple current NCAA investigations into the football program.

Harbaugh is also seeking a matrix of fines be spelled out if there are any future NCAA violations as well as prohibiting the school’s athletic director from firing him “for cause” and instead having that decision, should it ever arise, rest in a three-member arbitration panel.

Go Gophers!!

Not a surprise. ZERO reason to sign a new contract at Michigan with an investigation looming...

Also it would be financially irresponsible for Michigan to sign him with an investigation looming without and out clause.

And frankly a magic immunity from being caught cheating clause makes Michigan look even worse.

Some dirt is incredibly hard to wash off your hands.

I think he should claim "absolute immunity" for any NCAA offenses committed while he was head coach (which is like being the chief executive) of the Wolverines.

A while back the NFL made it clear that they wouldn't exactly welcome him with open arms should he bolt for the NFL. I'm gathering that it would be some sort of a suspension. This guy is what is partly wrong with America these days.

Harbaugh is such a douche. If Michigan caves to those demands they are idiots.
National Championship and a winning streak against Ohio State.....they will cave and they will cave hard.

Harbaugh is a weird dude and there is zero doubt he has little to no regard for the rules....but he wins so teams will sell their soul in order tap into that.

Beware of anyone who wants blanket immunity for future crimes and or actions. As they have bad intentions in their heart.
I don't think he's asking for blanket immunity and it does not sound like it's about future actions (there aren't any crimes).

It sounds like the deal would sign off on fines but wants to protection from being fired "with cause". So it's not blanket immunity, it's specific immunity from a specific form of punishment.

"Harbaugh is seeking language that would grant him immunity from termination from any finding or sanction that could arise from multiple current NCAA investigations into the football program"

It also seems to be geared towards the current investigations, so the actions have already occurred.

Harbaugh is such a douche. If Michigan caves to those demands they are idiots.
I don't disagree with any of this but from his perspective these additions to his contract are 100% necessary.

On one hand, he has a guaranteed contract from the NFL and if Michigan wants to compete with that offer, they need to make certain promises. The chance of being fired with cause would be a huge reason why you might go to the NFL now.

If you look Michigan State, I do not believe that Mel Tucker would have been fired for cause if the football team was doing well. In my opinion, MSU used the situation as a way out of an awful contract.

Is there any chance Michigan's national championship gets vacated?

He's just inserting an unacceptable poison pill into the MI negotiation so it won't look as bad when he bolts to an NFL team.

I don't think he's asking for blanket immunity and it does not sound like it's about future actions (there aren't any crimes).

It sounds like the deal would sign off on fines but wants to protection from being fired "with cause". So it's not blanket immunity, it's specific immunity from a specific form of punishment.

"Harbaugh is seeking language that would grant him immunity from termination from any finding or sanction that could arise from multiple current NCAA investigations into the football program"

It also seems to be geared towards the current investigations, so the actions have already occurred.
The last paragraph specifically talks about the future
Maybe I just misunderstood... We're stuck on our mountain so the pot intake has been higher today.... Pun intended

"Harbaugh is also seeking a matrix of fines be spelled out if there are any future NCAA violations as well as prohibiting the school’s athletic director from firing him “for cause” and instead having that decision, should it ever arise, rest in a three-member arbitration panel"

grandiose narcissists are characterized by high self-esteem, a sense of personal superiority and entitlement, overconfidence, a willingness to exploit others for self-gain, and hostility and aggression when challenged. We report two studies (N = 452) that explore how these dispositions affect their decision making. We show that grandiose narcissists' overconfidence, impulsivity, and a willingness to ignore expert advice results in a higher likelihood of making a bad decision. In addition, after getting the wrong answer, grandiose narcissists are more likely to blame others and remain self-confident in their judgment.

Not sure if Harbaugh leaves or not, but the portal is a bit of a mess with 2-3 coaches from the final 4 teams leaving. It triggers a bunch of new portal movement with limited options for players to fill in those roster spots.

Really the best way to do things for a coach is to poach as many players from his last team as possible.

Harbaugh, if he bolts, is screwing Michigan and its players.

Top Bottom