Harbaugh appears to be staying at Michigan? Fires DC Brown

Much as I don’t care for Harbaugh and I definitely have no fondness for U of Mich as a whole, I think all B1G fans outside of OSU would feel it would be better for the conference if Mich was more competitive as they’re realistically the only program than can bring consistent parity to OSU. PSU has been in the conference a quarter century and hasn’t been consistently competitive enough. MSU has had good years mixed with bad. Indy has raised their level of play but will not be an annual contender.
We don’t have anyone in the West who can consistently compete with OSU every year but neither does the East! And I prefer the parity of the West where the #1-3 teams are usually closer matched year to year.
I agree with one caveat: so long as whomever wins the Big Ten is competitive with the winners of the other P5. In other words, I would not want Ohio State to be "dragged down" to Michigan's level or something like that, only to have a loss like 2015's Michigan State 0-38 to Alabama.

If I may, I'd like to get back to the topic of the thread: specifically, Harbaugh's status at Michigan.

If I was part of the decision-making team at Michigan, I'd want to know several things:

— What specifically would be our reasons for possibly making a change? Is it all about Michigan's inability to beat Ohio State? If so, do we really believe that the dominance of the Buckeyes over the Wolverines is a coaching/recruiting problem? Might it not be more complex than that?

— Who are we seeing as potential candidates to replace him?

— What makes us believe that these prospective candidates would be A) better than Harbaugh, and B) able to beat Ohio State?

— Why is it almost never necessary for Ohio State to fire a coach?
Your 4th bullet point is completely inaccurate.

1950: OSU fires Wes Fesler due to his in-game coaching decisions during the infamous ‘Blizzard Bowl’ loss to Michigan.
1978: Fesler’s replacement, Woody Hayes, has an excellent 29 year run, but is fired for slugging a Clemson defensive player on national TV in the closing moments of the Gator Bowl.
1987: Hayes’ replacement, Earle Bruce is fired for only winning 2 Big Ten titles in 9 years. (As well as losing regularly to Michigan and Wisconsin)
2001: Bruce’s replacement, John Cooper, is fired for his complete inability to A. Take the rivalry with Michigan seriously, and B. Have any success in said rivalry.
2010: Cooper’s replacement, Jim Tressel, is fired for the dreaded ‘Lack of Institutional Control’ moniker (gear for tattoos, payment to players etc).
2018: Tressel’s replacement, Urban Meyer, resigns for ‘Heath Reasons’ after elevating the OSU football program into the Death Star that it is today.

So you see, only Meyer from that list has escaped the wrath that is the OSU fan base/boosters/administration/ticket holders.

1950: OSU fires Wes Fesler due to his in-game coaching decisions during the infamous ‘Blizzard Bowl’ loss to Michigan.
1978: Fesler’s replacement, Woody Hayes, has an excellent 29 year run, but is fired for slugging a Clemson defensive player on national TV in the closing moments of the Gator Bowl.
1987: Hayes’ replacement, Earle Bruce is fired for only winning 2 Big Ten titles in 9 years. (As well as losing regularly to Michigan and Wisconsin)
2001: Bruce’s replacement, John Cooper, is fired for his complete inability to A. Take the rivalry with Michigan seriously, and B. Have any success in said rivalry.
2010: Cooper’s replacement, Jim Tressel, is fired for the dreaded ‘Lack of Institutional Control’ moniker (gear for tattoos, payment to players etc).
2018: Tressel’s replacement, Urban Meyer, resigns for ‘Heath Reasons’ after elevating the OSU football program into the Death Star that it is today.

So you see, only Meyer from that list has escaped the wrath that is the OSU fan base/boosters/administration/ticket holders.
Fesler resigned from OSU because he didn't like the pressure of big time coaching, though this could have been a nice way of getting fired as he then came here to coach.

Additionally, Bruce won 4 Big Ten titles, though only two of them were outright.

I count 4 actual firings in 70 years. Two of those — Hayes and Tressel — were fired for reasons unrelated to lack of success on the field. Fessler and Urban Meyer were not, actually, fired.

So that makes TWO firings for lack of wins in 70 years.

My point stands.

I count 4 actual firings in 70 years. Two of those — Hayes and Tressel — were fired for reasons unrelated to lack of success on the field. Fessler and Urban Meyer were not, actually, fired.

So that makes TWO firings for lack of wins in 70 years.

My point stands.
If you win a lot of football games, you don't need to fire your football coach.

Top Bottom