Harbaugh appears to be staying at Michigan? Fires DC Brown

I said 4 weeks ago there is no way harbaugh is going

Don Brown was least of Michigan's problem, that guy knows his stuff and is a great technician when it comes to designing and calling a defense. Michigan's problem is a failure to recruit and develop good QB's which falls squarely on Jim Harbaugh. Brown's an excellent football coach, he was made a scapegoat.

Don Brown was least of Michigan's problem, that guy knows his stuff and is a great technician when it comes to designing and calling a defense. Michigan's problem is a failure to recruit and develop good QB's which falls squarely on Jim Harbaugh. Brown's an excellent football coach, he was made a scapegoat.
he has been an excellent coach, but with changes to college football favoring the offense, I fear his style (man press, bump and run, and be physical) is likely fading out. You can't only play that style, especially if you don't have dominant corners. He did not show the ability to adapt this year where they didn't have the players to compete. I do very much agree though that the offense did zero to help this out

I am speculating. It is cheaper to fire a coordinator than a head coach in a pandemic.

If they asked him to switch from Khaki to Navy pants and he refuses, that will be the last straw. It will be worth millions of dollars in buyout money.

Hopefully Harblow keeps on the same trajectory as this year. Good move by meatchicken to keep the fading coach. Or at least I'm just hoping.

As a HC, you fire your coordinators when you have a bad season and you want to make it look like you're trying to change something for the better.

It usually doesn't work out, because usually the HC is the problem. Sometimes it does work though.

Well he can’t fire himself and I’m sure the boosters are spitting venom at him, might as well replace...someone, anyone? Wish the Wisconsin game and Michigan game were played opposite. If Michigan was the last game I think Gophers would have put a whoopin’ on them. Oh well, was just fun to have football in the B1G this year.

It would be cool to see Michigan rise up and challenge OSU. Would make things a little more interesting. I'd rather they be the challenger than Penn St.

If anyone should be fired it is the MI AD.
His choices for the FB HCs over the last years has been dreadful considering the recruiting advantage MI has.

Hopefully Harblow keeps on the same trajectory as this year. Good move by meatchicken to keep the fading coach. Or at least I'm just hoping.

Yeah, going to have to get even worse for the Gophers to ever beat them at the Bank based on 2020 results.

It would be cool to see Michigan rise up and challenge OSU. Would make things a little more interesting. I'd rather they be the challenger than Penn St.
There seems to be an "elite of the elite" level of recruiting that you need to consistently, in order to be a national title contender/top 5 program.

I have no idea how they do it, but Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State do it.

No other Big Ten team has been able to do it consistently.

It just seems like an impossible barrier to entry, for any other Big Ten team, to get to that level.

Don't get me wrong, on paper it seems like there should be no good reason that Michigan can't do it. But then, why haven't they finished a season ranked in the single digits since 2006 (Carr's second to last year)?

I see that he may take a 50% pay cut and Don Brown has already been hired. They likely won't have to pay him the his full amount, if still owed money. I think this is good for all parties involved. Harbaugh is a good coach.

There seems to be an "elite of the elite" level of recruiting that you need to consistently, in order to be a national title contender/top 5 program.

I have no idea how they do it, but Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State do it.

No other Big Ten team has been able to do it consistently.

It just seems like an impossible barrier to entry, for any other Big Ten team, to get to that level.

Don't get me wrong, on paper it seems like there should be no good reason that Michigan can't do it. But then, why haven't they finished a season ranked in the single digits since 2006 (Carr's second to last year)?
This is another reason they need to expand to 8 teams. Every P5 conference has to have a chance to make the playoff every year, by their play on the field.

This is another reason they need to expand to 8 teams. Every P5 conference has to have a chance to make the playoff every year, by their play on the field.
I don't disagree per se, but this likely still wouldn't very often be a benefit to Big Ten schools, is my guess.

At eight, they probably would do auto-bids to the P5, and maybe one auto-bid to the top G5 champion (perhaps only if ranked in the top 8?), then two or three at-large. I see those at-large going mostly to SEC schools and a few others.

Meaning, for any Big Ten team to make the playoff, they need to win the conference and that means, one way or another, they have to beat Ohio St.

Are the people who call the shots at Michigan, perhaps, facing reality here?

REALITY: If the litmus test for hiring and firing football coaches at Michigan is whether or not that coach can beat Ohio State, Michigan will be firing and hiring coaches frequently.

Ohio State is a juggernaut.

I don't disagree per se, but this likely still wouldn't very often be a benefit to Big Ten schools, is my guess.

At eight, they probably would do auto-bids to the P5, and maybe one auto-bid to the top G5 champion (perhaps only if ranked in the top 8?), then two or three at-large. I see those at-large going mostly to SEC schools and a few others.

Meaning, for any Big Ten team to make the playoff, they need to win the conference and that means, one way or another, they have to beat Ohio St.
I agree, but any conference that puts forth a 12-1 or 11-1 team as the runner up, will likely get the nod over the 2 loss SEC team. That rarely happens however.

If I may, I'd like to get back to the topic of the thread: specifically, Harbaugh's status at Michigan.

If I was part of the decision-making team at Michigan, I'd want to know several things:

— What specifically would be our reasons for possibly making a change? Is it all about Michigan's inability to beat Ohio State? If so, do we really believe that the dominance of the Buckeyes over the Wolverines is a coaching/recruiting problem? Might it not be more complex than that?

— Who are we seeing as potential candidates to replace him?

— What makes us believe that these prospective candidates would be A) better than Harbaugh, and B) able to beat Ohio State?

— Why is it almost never necessary for Ohio State to fire a coach?

That's the way it is now. Ohio State has made the playoff four times. Michigan State made it once by beating OSU. That's it. There were two years in which no Big Ten team made the playoff. If each P5 conference received a bid, at least the Big Ten would always have one. Beat Ohio State or say home -- the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Apparently, khakis are still in, in Michigan. Just tell JH to keep his shirt on.

I’m an advocate for having at most two teams from the same conference. That means that 3 of the 5 Power Conferences will usually have two teams in the playoffs, unless a G5 school is ranked in the top 8. I also think this will help level recruiting, and make the season and playoffs more interesting.

I’m an advocate for having at most two teams from the same conference. That means that 3 of the 5 Power Conferences will usually have two teams in the playoffs, unless a G5 school is ranked in the top 8. I also think this will help level recruiting, and make the season and playoffs more interesting.
Notre Dame could sneak in there as well, but overall I like this. Agree that max two would make sense, with each getting a guaranteed one it would seem reasonable. Not sure the SEC would see it that way, of course. Usually they can get the ACC to side with them. Then they'd just need to convince the Big XII.

Much as I don’t care for Harbaugh and I definitely have no fondness for U of Mich as a whole, I think all B1G fans outside of OSU would feel it would be better for the conference if Mich was more competitive as they’re realistically the only program than can bring consistent parity to OSU. PSU has been in the conference a quarter century and hasn’t been consistently competitive enough. MSU has had good years mixed with bad. Indy has raised their level of play but will not be an annual contender.
We don’t have anyone in the West who can consistently compete with OSU every year but neither does the East! And I prefer the parity of the West where the #1-3 teams are usually closer matched year to year.

Harbaugh, Mich agree on extension...

Harbaugh has new, 5-year deal at Michigan
The school will pay him $4 million in 2021 with a chance to make nearly $8 million in the fifth year of his contract, according to the memorandum of understanding signed by Harbaugh and athletic director Warde Manuel on Friday.

Harbaugh can make $1 million for winning the Big Ten title and another $1 million for winning the national championship along with other bonuses he will earn if he can improve the team's success on the field.
Michigan would owe Harbaugh $4 million if it fired him in 2021, a guarantee that goes down $1 million each subsequent year of the contract. Harbaugh's buyout to leave Michigan begins at $2 million in 2021 and drops by $500,000 in each subsequent year until 2025.

Harbaugh has new, 5-year deal at Michigan
The school will pay him $4 million in 2021 with a chance to make nearly $8 million in the fifth year of his contract, according to the memorandum of understanding signed by Harbaugh and athletic director Warde Manuel on Friday.

Harbaugh can make $1 million for winning the Big Ten title and another $1 million for winning the national championship along with other bonuses he will earn if he can improve the team's success on the field.
Michigan would owe Harbaugh $4 million if it fired him in 2021, a guarantee that goes down $1 million each subsequent year of the contract. Harbaugh's buyout to leave Michigan begins at $2 million in 2021 and drops by $500,000 in each subsequent year until 2025.
They can buy me out for $2 mill.....

Top Bottom