Harbaugh’s presser today

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
He brought up Eric Koehler, Offensive Analyst for Gophers hired in Feb. He came from Miami of Ohio. Read that he was fired from Miami Ohio. Reading the comments the fans there were ecstatic that he was no longer with the program. How the hell can’t Fleck find a really good offensive coach???? It’s just baffling. Expect another nail biter this Saturday.

He brought up Eric Koehler, Offensive Analyst for Gophers hired in Feb. He came from Miami of Ohio. Read that he was fired from Miami Ohio. Reading the comments the fans there were ecstatic that he was no longer with the program. How the hell can’t Fleck find a really good offensive coach???? It’s just baffling. Expect another nail biter this Saturday.

Oh.

Go Gophers!!

Everyone knows offensive analysts are what makes or breaks a program

Here are Miami’s offensive efficiency ratings for Koehler’s years as OC at Miami Ohio. My point is that I just don’t understand why Fleck hires these guys? It’s crazy. It’s like he doesn’t even look at their past experience and what kind of relevant success they’ve had. I mean what in Harbaugh’s experience says he’d be a good hire for where our program is at, and the league we play in?

Offensive efficiency

2014: 108/128 overall; 9/13 MAC
2015: 121/128 overall; 12/13 MAC
2016: 101/128 overall; 8/12 MAC
2017: 96/130 overall; 6/12 MAC
2018: 90/130 overall; 5/12 MAC
2019: 111/130 overall; 10/12 MAC
2020: 103/127 overall; 9/12 MAC
2021: 64/130 overall; 4/12 MAC
2022: 118/131 overall; 10/12 MAC

Here are Miami’s offensive efficiency ratings for Koehler’s years as OC at Miami Ohio. My point is that I just don’t understand why Fleck hires these guys? It’s crazy. It’s like he doesn’t even look at their past experience and what kind of relevant success they’ve had. I mean what in Harbaugh’s experience says he’d be a good hire for where our program is at, and the league we play in?

Offensive efficiency

2014: 108/128 overall; 9/13 MAC
2015: 121/128 overall; 12/13 MAC
2016: 101/128 overall; 8/12 MAC
2017: 96/130 overall; 6/12 MAC
2018: 90/130 overall; 5/12 MAC
2019: 111/130 overall; 10/12 MAC
2020: 103/127 overall; 9/12 MAC
2021: 64/130 overall; 4/12 MAC
2022: 118/131 overall; 10/12 MAC
He might not have had the best results, sounds like many of those years he was co-oc, but he has way more experience than most analysts.

He's an analyst. That means he can't have contact with the players (ie. he can't coach them). But he can analyze and break down game tape, both of us and opponents, and talk offensive scheme, strategy, etc. with the coaching staff.

Maybe he's lights out really good X's O's guy but just isn't a very good coach or play caller?

I think that is certainly possible for some folks.

Look at all the failed head coaches that drop down to lesser titles. Same thing here, you won’t find a super successful OC that wants to take an analyst position.

Look at all the failed head coaches that drop down to lesser titles. Same thing here, you won’t find a super successful OC that wants to take an analyst position.
Nick Saban has been gaming the system for years by having some pretty accomplished dudes serve as "Analysts"

Steve Sarkisian (Texas), Lane Kiffin (Ole Miss), Mike Locksley (Maryland) are just a few P5 coaches who have followed the Failed HC > Analyst at Alabama > Better job at Alabama > Back to P5 HC path. It's a carwash for resumes.

Ciarrocca an analyst for West Virginia two years ago I believe?

Last edited:

Nick Saban has been gaming the system for years by having some pretty accomplished dudes serve as "Analysts"

Steve Sarkisian (Texas), Lane Kiffin (Ole Miss), Mike Locksley (Maryland) are just a few P5 coaches who have followed the Failed HC > Analyst at Alabama > Better job at Alabama > Back to P5 HC path. It's a carwash for resumes.
Ok maybe at places like Bama for short stints or to get closer to home like Ciarrocca. I don’t think it’s the norm though. A lot of them come from graduate assistant roles. I think the NW analyst is the only other one in the West with OC experience.

Last edited:

The offense needs a ton of help.

What is the root of the faltering offense? Is it coaching, talent level, or both?

PJ Fleck needs to figure things out. The Big Ten is getting more competitive.

Harbaugh might call the plays, but this is Fleck's offense. I'm sure the playbook is robust, but it's PJ that wants to run IZ & OZ 60% of the time. He makes his team easy to prepare for, and because he never changes, it's easy for opposing coaches to figure out his strategy in various down & distance scenarios.

I thought the Nebraska game signaled a change in the offensive philosophy of the program, but it was just a blip on the radar. Disappointing.

those 8 days of being an analyst were integral to Lane's career trajectory

Top Bottom