Happy to see a Coach with the gonads to win

Sparlimb

Reaction score
Happy with Claeys and the effort tonight. Lots of fun games left to play. Go Gophs.

Happy with Claeys and the effort tonight. Lots of fun games left to play. Go Gophs.

Gonads yes, brains no. Terrible, terrible decision making there. I understand hindsight is 20/20, but the smart move there is send it to overtime.

Except they played to lose or for FGs the rest of the night. Know when to play for the win and know when to take overtime.

If you are in such a gambling mood then you should be going all-out before halftime and in the other other head scratching situations, too. Even the last drive was poorly executed......running play action or 2 yard runs up the middle.

You play to win. And our season wasn't hanging in the balance. The win was important, but the loss didn't hurt. We still can upset someone and beat Illinois for a bowl game. We probably won't, but at least we don't need to pretend we didn't try. I'm happy they tried. The clock management sucked, but that's part of having a head coach who isn't and has never truly been a head coach.

Michigan has its 2nd-string QB in the game. Given the likelihood he plays the OT, I take it to overtime. There's no guarantee we make the FG or win in OT, but if we come up one win short for bowl eligibility, the decision is going to be rolling around in a lot of people's minds.

You go to OT against their backup QB when you are at home.

1st down: run it
Call Time out
2nd down: pass
3rd down: kick FG

OT: tee off on their backup QB

Happy to see guts. Sad to see the utter incompetence that required said guts.

You play to win. And our season wasn't hanging in the balance. The win was important, but the loss didn't hurt. We still can upset someone and beat Illinois for a bowl game. We probably won't, but at least we don't need to pretend we didn't try. I'm happy they tried. The clock management sucked, but that's part of having a head coach who isn't and has never truly been a head coach.

And yet 3/4 of this board is ready to give him the job. If he gets the job, I'm fine with it, but he has never been a head coach at any level and the vantage point from the big chair is markedly different than it is from the coordinator's chair. I say let him finish the year and then re-assess things. The ending tonight, for lack of a better term, was "Brewsteresque."

Clock management awful. Going for the win as a 2 TD dog, right call. Wrong playcall.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

A coach with the gonads to win would have tried to score a TD well within the 5 minutes the team was allotted to start that drive, including either two or three timeouts. They pissed around wasting clock the whole drive, seeming to look like they wanted a game-tying FG attempt, and then still pissed around as time clicked off the clock. With under a minute left, they were still teetering at somewhat iffy FG range.

Clock management is not difficult. And if you're a coach who cannot understand clock management, I mean really, is there not one ****ing player either riding the bench or redshirting this season who you can make their only job to follow the clock and make sure you don't **** yourself?

I don't mind going for the win, that said, we could have had 3 extra plays.

A coach with the gonads to win would have tried to score a TD well within the 5 minutes the team was allotted to start that drive, including either two or three timeouts. They pissed around wasting clock the whole drive, seeming to look like they wanted a game-tying FG attempt, and then still pissed around as time clicked off the clock.

Clock management is not difficult. And if you're a coach who cannot understand clock management, I mean really, is there not one ****ing player either riding the bench or redshirting this season who you can make their only job to follow the clock and make sure you don't **** yourself? Jesus Christ I just can't believe they could **** it up that badly.

Agreed. Doesn't seem like Claeys is ready, he was so indecisive on what he wanted... to tie or to win. Then he choked with 19 seconds left. I don't care if it was Limegrover's play call, as a coach, and self proclaimed mathematician, he should have caught it.

Did we watch the same game? If you turned it off after the Wolitarsky catch I have bad news for you, he was down at the 1 and we somehow with a timeout and 19 seconds only got 2 plays off. We lost

You go to OT against their backup QB when you are at home.

1st down: run it
Call Time out
2nd down: pass
3rd down: kick FG

OT: tee off on their backup QB

This is correct. In this scenario you get the same chance to win as how it played out, but you also get the opportunity to tie the game and win the game in OT against a backup QB. It's simple clock management. The play call with all the motions after the clock started was embarrassing.

Great game that was well-coached for 59 1/2 minutes. I love how Claeys opens up our offense and I'm happy to have a coach who can take a game down to the wire against a #15 team. I'm sure he regrets the final seconds just as we all do. It happens. But it bodes well for our future if we can keep up this level of play.

You don't, after having pissed away 17 of the remaining 19 seconds of the the game, go for the win. You admit you messed up, take the 3 and tee off on their crummy 2nd string QB in OT. You don't, with 2 seconds left, try pushing the pile with your makeshift OL against the Michigan nation-leading defensive front, knowing that if you fail, you lose the Jug.

Did we watch the same game? If you turned it off after the Wolitarsky catch I have bad news for you, he was down at the 1 and we somehow with a timeout and 19 seconds only got 2 plays off. We lost

Sure it sucked. But I'm telling you. If I had a choice of going for it to win or playing for a tie. I WANT TO WIN. We didn't, but we had our chance. We're not a great team. We're an okay team. We lost. But whatever. We get to try again next week. We'll be 48 point underdogs, but we who cares. Play to win.

Michigan has its 2nd-string QB in the game. Given the likelihood he plays the OT, I take it to overtime. There's no guarantee we make the FG or win in OT, but if we come up one win short for bowl eligibility, the decision is going to be rolling around in a lot of people's minds.

Agree with this. With their 2nd string QB and us being at home, you have to kick the FG there.

Agree with this. With their 2nd string QB and us being at home, you have to kick the FG there.
Yeah, because they already stopped him when it mattered. He had some confidence built up. As a double digit dog, you try to win it.

A coach with the gonads to win would have tried to score a TD well within the 5 minutes the team was allotted to start that drive, including either two or three timeouts. They pissed around wasting clock the whole drive, seeming to look like they wanted a game-tying FG attempt, and then still pissed around as time clicked off the clock. With under a minute left, they were still teetering at somewhat iffy FG range.

Clock management is not difficult. And if you're a coach who cannot understand clock management, I mean really, is there not one ****ing player either riding the bench or redshirting this season who you can make their only job to follow the clock and make sure you don't **** yourself?

This is correct. The clock management the entire last drive was atrocious. I was screaming tempo guys! TEMPO! As early as like the second or third play they ran. IF Rodney Smith doesn't get 17 plus yards on 3rd and long we almost were going to be forced to go for it on 4th given how much time they had already wasted. The last 19 seconds, the head coach has to take all of the blame, but the truth is SOMEONE should have known the situation: The OC, the QB coach, the 4th year QB, one of the veteran offensive lineman. Even in a worst case scenario where NOBODY realizes what is going on initially SOMEONE should have been looking at the scoreboard and see the clock ticking down. In that absolute worst case scenario Claeys gets a timeout with 12 seconds left and the Gophers run two quick pass plays and have a decision on 3rd and goal.

Sure it sucked. But I'm telling you. If I had a choice of going for it to win or playing for a tie. I WANT TO WIN. We didn't, but we had our chance. We're not a great team. We're an okay team. We lost. But whatever. We get to try again next week. We'll be 48 point underdogs, but we who cares. Play to win.

Ok because you said you were happy with Claeys and end of game, wanted to make sure you knew they had 19 seconds and a timeout and could only get off 2 plays from the half yard line

Ok because you said you were happy with Claeys and end of game, wanted to make sure you knew they had 19 seconds and a timeout and could only get off 2 plays from the half yard line

Why are people so ****ing hung up on the # of plays run?

If you decide to go for the win and can't get a 1/2 yard on 2 plays, you don't deserve to win.

Why are people so ****ing hung up on the # of plays run?

If you decide to go for the win and can't get a 1/2 yard on 2 plays, you don't deserve to win.

Because with 19 seconds left, you go for the win TWO times first, then you go for the Tie.

Because with 19 seconds left, you go for the win TWO times first, then you go for the Tie.

No.

This thread is about having the gonads to go for the win. Claeys planned to run two plays. And I am putting forth the thought that if you can't get a 1/2 yard in two plays you don't deserve to win.

There are plenty of threads discussing whether or not to go for the tie.

No.

This thread is about having the gonads to go for the win. Claeys planned to run two plays. And I am putting forth the thought that if you can't get a 1/2 yard in two plays you don't deserve to win.

Thank you. I didn't mean to discuss clock management. I meant to discuss 1 play to win the game.

Had the gonads to win? No, we lost. All we had to do was run Leidner up the gut for 2.5 FEET!!!!!!!!

He played to lose, and we did.

No.

Oh my bad, you're right. I'm still too worked up. I didn't mind the last play call... I wanted him to go for the win also. I'll be honest, I prefer Claeys to Kill... I just can't get over "19 seconds left..."

You don't, after having pissed away 17 of the remaining 19 seconds of the the game, go for the win. You admit you messed up, take the 3 and tee off on their crummy 2nd string QB in OT. You don't, with 2 seconds left, try pushing the pile with your makeshift OL against the Michigan nation-leading defensive front, knowing that if you fail, you lose the Jug.

This times 100%!

Top Bottom