Halverson Transfering

Status
Not open for further replies.
He may not care about the school he plays at, but instead is looking at the graduate school he wishes to attend. Does anyone know what his major is and where he wants to go from there? My completely speculating guess is that the graduate school is what dictates which team he plays for. It could be any level of basketball and he'll simply have a fun year of playing ball while he pursues his masters degree. In any case, I hope he has a blast with his final year of organized ball!!!

He may not care about the school he plays at, but instead is looking at the graduate school he wishes to attend. Does anyone know what his major is and where he wants to go from there? My completely speculating guess is that the graduate school is what dictates which team he plays for. It could be any level of basketball and he'll simply have a fun year of playing ball while he pursues his masters degree. In any case, I hope he has a blast with his final year of organized ball!!!

Thought it was biomedical engineering?

Always see him around the physics building on campus, pretty sure he is an engineering major

You can still do that elsewhere if you want to be on the court.

Getting an Engineering degree from Minnesota is a lot more prestigious than getting an Engineering degree from St Cloud State or wherever he would see the court.

Clearly he was in it for his degree, and now that he's finished, off to have fun for a year before getting his career started.

I wish him luck. He seemed like a good teammate.

He always seemed like a good guy, cheering from the bench. Classic Club Trillion member, but a good teammate. Clearly he stayed to get his degree - after that he can go off and play for a year somewhere before getting his career started. I wish him the best.

Clearly he was in it for his degree, and now that he's finished, off to have fun for a year before getting his career started.

I see him in the NSIC next year...probably at either MSU or WSU.

He's a biomed engineering grad. He ain't playing in the NSIC next year. He is going to grad school at a place that will give him a meaningful advanced degree.

As I said, I wouldn't be shocked at all if his college basketball career is over.

Chris Halvorsen no longer with team

Good guy and former Gopher basketball player Larry Overskei is disappointed his nephew Chris Halvorsen, a non-scholarship player, is no longer on new coach Rick Pitino’s Minnesota team. Halvorsen participated in a few workouts but since has been told the Gophers are going in a “different direction,” according to an e-mail Overskei sent at the request of Sports Headliners.

Overskei’s comments included this: “So now we have an ’M’ man, all-Academic Big Ten and graduating on May 10th with a degree in Bio-medical Engineering and he is told he is not wanted back for his last year of eligibility. GO FIGURE! Plus his uncle is a basketball alumni.”

Halvorsen, 22, played in seven games for the Gophers last season and averaged 0.6 points per game. The 6-8 former Henry Sibley High School graduate transferred to Minnesota from Valparaiso after the 2009-10 season.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Good guy and former Gopher basketball player Larry Overskei is disappointed his nephew Chris Halvorsen, a non-scholarship player, is no longer on new coach Rick Pitino’s Minnesota team. Halvorsen participated in a few workouts but since has been told the Gophers are going in a “different direction,” according to an e-mail Overskei sent at the request of Sports Headliners.

Overskei’s comments included this: “So now we have an ’M’ man, all-Academic Big Ten and graduating on May 10th with a degree in Bio-medical Engineering and he is told he is not wanted back for his last year of eligibility. GO FIGURE! Plus his uncle is a basketball alumni.”

Halvorsen, 22, played in seven games for the Gophers last season and averaged 0.6 points per game. The 6-8 former Henry Sibley High School graduate transferred to Minnesota from Valparaiso after the 2009-10 season.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

That seems odd to me, it is not often that you ask a walk-on to move on. Wondering if there is more to this than just that. I can't imagine Pitino's grand plan hinges on having that open walk-on spot.

That seems odd to me, it is not often that you ask a walk-on to move on. Wondering if there is more to this than just that. I can't imagine Pitino's grand plan hinges on having that open walk-on spot.

Same thoughts I had, very strange. I mean, it is a roster spot, but it seems like he was a good enough athlete that he'd fit in with what Pitino was trying to do.

Toward the end of last season (prior to Senior Night) I remember Tubby on a couple occasions on his TV and/or radio show mentioning Halvorsen as one of the seniors wrapping up their careers. Thought it was strange knowing that Halvorsen had some eligibility remaining. Tubby was talking like he knew Halvorsen wasn't returning. Something tells me this was in the works before Lil' Ricky arrived. Perhaps Halvorsen had a change of heart (after Tubby was fired) and decided he wanted to return, but Pitino was already moving in another direction?

Non-story.

Talk about trying to create drama where there is none. I liked reporters a lot more when they used to report the news instead create it out thin air.

Kid is graduating with a degree in BioMedical Engineering...is a walk on and played 20 minutes more than I did last year and outscored me by 12 points.

Bigger story is Head Cheerleader breaks nail and requires new manicure.

Toward the end of last season (prior to Senior Night) I remember Tubby on a couple occasions on his TV show mentioning Halvorsen as one of the seniors wrapping up their careers. Thought it was strange knowing that Halvorsen had some eligibility remaining. It's like Tubby knew he wasn't coming back to the team. Something tells me this was in the works before Lil' Ricky arrived. Perhaps Halvorsen had a change of heart and decided he wanted to return, but Pitino was already moving in another direction?

Non-story.

Agree it is a non-story. Just hope the media doesn't try to make it one as I am sure they will "This is what happens when your coach doesn't do things 'The right way'!!!! Even walk-ons get cut!!!"

Congrats on the graduation in May Chris. Maybe a good time to secure a job with that degree?

There is an open scholarship that could hypothetically be given to Halvorson. Maybe he wanted it, but Pitino wanted to go another direction and didn't want it given to someone who won't contribute.

There is an open scholarship that could hypothetically be given to Halverson. Maybe he wanted it, but Pitino wanted to go another direction and didn't want it given to someone who won't contribute.

This is what happened. Halverson would have been back if he could have gotten one of those scholarships that he believed would have been open. There is no way that Pitino asked him not to continue to walk on to the U. I'm sure Pitino told him that he wasn't going to get that last available scholarship and Overskei is making it sound like he was asked to leave the program. It's not the case.

I don't blame Pitino for not awarding the scholarship to a kid who he doesn't feel could contribute. I wish the best for Halverson, he did everything right (got a degree, seemed like a good teammate, etc.). Lets just hope this absolute non-issue doesn't become an issue.

This is what happened. Halverson would have been back if he could have gotten one of those scholarships that he believed would have been open. There is no way that Pitino asked him not to continue to walk on to the U. I'm sure Pitino told him that he wasn't going to get that last available scholarship and Overskei is making it sound like he was asked to leave the program. It's not the case.

I don't blame Pitino for not awarding the scholarship to a kid who he doesn't feel could contribute. I wish the best for Halverson, he did everything right (got a degree, seemed like a good teammate, etc.). Lets just hope this absolute non-issue doesn't become an issue.

Oh, down the line if Souhan or the wheezy fat guy decides to go after Pitino, it's sure to be brought up.

I don't blame Pitino for not awarding the scholarship to a kid who he doesn't feel could contribute... Lets just hope this absolute non-issue doesn't become an issue.

Congratulations, Bob. Everything you typed is completely inaccurate. There was never any expectation/discussion related to CH receiving a scholarship.

I usually don't have any inside info on Gopher athletics but I know how everything went down with this situation.

Tubby talked to Chris before coming to the U and during his time on the team about his role and there was no expectation on Chris' part that he would be a scholarship player ever. Nothing changed with Pitino coming in, except the intensity of the off season workouts apparently. Pitino had no problem with Chris participating in the workouts to keep himself in shape and in practice for whatever his plan was after graduation. He ultimately decided to transfer and was not forced out or anything of that nature. He was good friends with Trevor and playing/practicing with him was a big draw to the U in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom