Hallman: U of M does a poor job of fully recognizing former Black male and female stars in hoops and other Gopher sports

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hallman:

But I agree that the U of M does a poor job of fully recognizing former Black male and female stars in hoops and other Gopher sports, many of them during my 40-years-plus beat coverage.

It took the school three decades before St. Paul native Linda Roberts’ jersey got hung in the Barn’s rafters. Almost longer for Willie Burton, who finally got honored with a jersey hanging ceremony in January 2020.

Oddly, Hallman fails to recognize that it actually took LONGER for the U to retire Randy Breuer's jersey than it did Willie Burton's, both were overdue IMO, but weird that Hallman wouldn't provide that context.

Go Gophers!!

Didn't Willie have to get his degree first?

While Tucker & Burton had to wait for their numbers to be retired. Lou Hudson's was retired in 1966, Jim Brewer was in 1973, and Mychal Thompson was in 1978.

Talk about waiting: Whitey Skoog (class of 1951) waited until 2009; Chuck Mencel (class of 1955) waited until 2011; and Dick Garmaker (class of 1955) also was in 2011.

Very trendy topic. It took a long time for lots of people.
I'm curious if all of those with retired numbers have degrees?
If the criteria changed to exclude specific Black athletes, then he'd have a story.
Or, were exceptions made in certain cases?

Didn't Willie have to get his degree first?
Don't let that get in the way of the narrative.

The U can be chipped for a lot of things but this is ridiculous. The U hired a black basketball coach in the mid 80s. They had a black AD in the early 90s. As others have pointed out, several black players were honored immediately. The only ones who haven't been honored (Jackson) or were delayed (Burton) were from a rule that applies to everyone.

If the criteria changed to exclude specific Black athletes, then he'd have a story.
They don't have a case. He found one example of a guy whose was delayed and there is another white guy's who was also delayed. There is a long list of AA athletes who have been honored.

I find it oddly "Minnesotan" that you need to have a completed degree.

I mean it is the spokesman so I guess fits with the message?

Is there anybody good enough to retire that they're missing currently? Kinda need that to make whatever point he is trying for

per Hallman:

But I agree that the U of M does a poor job of fully recognizing former Black male and female stars in hoops and other Gopher sports, many of them during my 40-years-plus beat coverage.

It took the school three decades before St. Paul native Linda Roberts’ jersey got hung in the Barn’s rafters. Almost longer for Willie Burton, who finally got honored with a jersey hanging ceremony in January 2020.

Oddly, Hallman fails to recognize that it actually took LONGER for the U to retire Randy Breuer's jersey than it did Willie Burton's, both were overdue IMO, but weird that Hallman wouldn't provide that context.

Go Gophers!!
Not going to give this garbage a click. Some of the most celebrated players in Gopher history are black. Sandy Stephen, Bobby Bell, Carl Eller.....give me a f'in break.

True.

Miles tarver?

honestly it is guys from the year that never happened or Jordan Murphy who are next on the list.
I know Oturu played for a relatively short time, but he is likely the best player the Gophers have had this century. Coffey could have been a candidate if he had returned to play his final year of eligibility and improved from the prior season. He may have been screwed by the covid cancellation though.

Tons of schools have that.
And, for many years, the U would not put a banner up if the player did not have a degree. In the last few years, they have for the most part stopped following that practice. It is still a good idea that an athlete gets a degree.......

I know Oturu played for a relatively short time, but he is likely the best player the Gophers have had this century. Coffey could have been a candidate if he had returned to play his final year of eligibility and improved from the prior season. He may have been screwed by the covid cancellation though.
As a college player and judging their whole career
Murphy > Coffey > oturu

Oturu was never a top 4 player on an NCAA tourney team

As a college player and judging their whole career
Murphy > Coffey > oturu

Oturu was never a top 4 player on an NCAA tourney team
You don't think he was his freshman season? Murph, Coffey, Oturu, McBrayer, Kalscheur that season IMO

You don't think he was his freshman season? Murph, Coffey, Oturu, McBrayer, Kalscheur that season IMO
I mean he was 5th in minutes and closer to Eric Curry and Isaiah Washington’s minutes than Gabe’s. But he was probably the 1-3 player on the team in terms of talent, he wasn’t nearly as consistent as a freshman as he was as a sophomore. When he ran the show the team was under.500

One would think a well-written term paper could get a jersey hung in Good order. 😏
Touche.

Hopefully they get a degree, but if I'm being honest, I'm cheering for their on court exploits ultimately as are most/all of us, if we are transparent on the matter and not being Minnesota opaque instead.

Oturu could have been a candidate, but because he was such a short timer, and he didn't make the all freshmen team and was only 2nd team all Big Ten his sophomore season, I can't see retiring his number. With that short of a stint, you really need to wrack up a resume to have your number retired, else with standards that low you won't have any numbers left for people to wear.

Oturu could have been a candidate, but because he was such a short timer, and he didn't make the all freshmen team and was only 2nd team all Big Ten his sophomore season, I can't see retiring his number. With that short of a stint, you really need to wrack up a resume to have your number retired, else with standards that low you won't have any numbers left for people to wear.
Wasn't suggesting he should, but rather I feel would have been a lock if he used his entire eligibility.

Top Bottom