Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt calling Nebraska game.

I like this. It is fun to get one of the three heavy hitters (Fowler/Herbstreit, Klatt/Johnson, McDonough/Blackledge). Games always feel bigger when one of these crews are at the mic.

Please win Gophers so I don’t have to come home and delete my recording like when we got Fowler/Herbstreit for Wisconsin in 2019.

Last edited:

Gus Johnson downplaying or not acknowledging (I forget) a targeting hit against us vs OSU a few years ago was brutal. I think it ended up not even being called. So bad all around.
Not only was targeting not called, it was ruled an incomplete pass when our receiver let the ball roll out of his hands after being knocked out from the blow to the helmet. He caught it, advanced it and held it while going down. The ruling was that a man knocked unconscious should not have let loose of the football.

Agree. My favorite combo was Brad Nessler and Todd Blackledge

Good news is Nessler will be doing Big Ten games again now that CBS is part of the Big Ten TV package. Gary Danielson is his partner nowadays on CBS, as he was when Nessler first started at ESPN back in the 1990s. Hopefully, Nessler gets a game or two in his home state.

Not only was targeting not called, it was ruled an incomplete pass when our receiver let the ball roll out of his hands after being knocked out from the blow to the helmet. He caught it, advanced it and held it while going down. The ruling was that a man knocked unconscious should not have let loose of the football.
Wasn't it rules a fumble and OSU ball?? I remember it being a pivotal moment in the game.

I like this. It is fun to get one of the three heavy hitters (Fowler/Herbstreit, Klatt/Johnson, McDonough/Blackledge). Games always feel bigger when one of these crews are at the mic.

Please win Gophers so I don’t have to come home and delete my recording like when we got Fowler/Herbstreit for Wisconsin in 2019.
What an indictment of on air talent when Klatt/Johnson are considered heavy hitters.

I’m also anti Gus. Hell I’d take Beth over Gus, and I’m not a Beth fan.

I know she has a “fan club” here. Mowins is approximately 1% as annoying as Gus IMHO but opinions will vary. I also lost some respect for Klatt after OSU but can still appreciate his knowledge. Not many people are brave enough to speak their mind if it puts their paycheck at risk. But, calling out an obvious penalty shouldn’t be a red line for a football analyst.

What an indictment of on air talent when Klatt/Johnson are considered heavy hitters.
Aren’t they the prime crew for FOX college football?

By definition that makes them heavy hitters as they get FOX’s most notable games.

Lots of people couldn’t stand Aikman/Buck but for NFL announcing they were heavy hitters too.

Klatt is great, IMO, talking about college football and giving his input; for the life of me I can't recall if I really think he's that great in the booth for a game? I guess I'll be reminded soon enough

Well, I guess it's football, so I'll post it here. Take a listen to this call - ignore the goal itself (which is pretty nice), but check out the way he describes it... kangaroos, flaming spears, shot glasses, and Zambonis...

Last edited:

Well, I guess it's football, so I'll post it here. Take a listen to this call - ignore the goal itself (which is pretty nice), but check out the way he describes it... kangaroos, flaming spears, shot glasses, and Zambonis...

I’ve been analyzing my dislike for Gus and his main issue other than not knowing the teams, players, game, or rules better than most people reading this is the propensity to treat a routine 3rd and 6 pass conversion in the first quarter like the goal in your video. Complete with corny pet names. Sometimes letting the crowd have their moment, refraining from comment for a beat or two is the way to go.

I’ve been analyzing my dislike for Gus and his main issue other than not knowing the teams, players, game, or rules better than most people reading this is the propensity to treat a routine 3rd and 6 pass conversion in the first quarter like the goal in your video. Complete with corny pet names. Sometimes letting the crowd have their moment, refraining from comment for a beat or two is the way to go.
Nah, have some fun with the moment, give me flying kangaroos, flaming spears, shot glasses pumped with beer, and Zamboni finishes...

“HEARTBREAK CITY! UNBELIEVABLE! THAT’S JUST A TOUGH FOOTBALL PLAY! NITTY GRITTY BO-DITTY! O-S-U! GIMME THAT BALL!

OSU always seems to get away with these plays against "lesser" teams. We need more consistency with these calls. I'm all for the targeting rules as they stand, but we can't have some refs calling obvious targeting plays not targeting, and vice versa.

Top Bottom