Greatest Gopher Collapses at Metrodome

noamfromm

Reaction score
I'm looking to see if anyone remembers an article written around 2009 that detailed the worst gopher games at the metrodome. My memory is that it was a reussian piece, but I cant find it through googling.

WTF. Why would someone be searching for something like this....lol
okmAMj0.jpg

OSU ‘89
NW ‘00
PU ‘01
MI ‘03
WI ‘05

Ah, those were the days…..
The Michigan one is talked about the most, but the two I've highlighted were the most painful for me to watch and I think we would have won both those games under current rules. I remember in the Wisconsin game, Mortensen got knocked out of the bounds on a scramble with about five minutes left in the game and under the rules then, the clock stopped. I believe under current (rules guys help me out) the clock wouldn't stop and, as a result, we could have probably wound things down. I could be be wrong on the rules thing. I just remember thinking after that play that time remaining might be a problem

It doesn't qualify as a collapse per se, but the Northwestern game in 2008 when Mike Kafka ran all over the field for over 200 yards and the Gophers lost on a pick-six on the last play of the game is the loss that is somehow burned most deep in my memory.

Wisco 05 still hurts. Last game I watched with my mom and a miserable ending of course.

I don't know how it isn't '03 Michigan and '05 Wisconsin.

03 Michigan was so important to the trajectory of the program and we straight up dominated them for a majority of the game.

05 Wisconsin because it was Wisconsin and the way we lost. Total fluke.

Can't forget the phantom PI against Penn State in 2006 when we had stopped them on 4th down for the win. Freaking Paterno got in the refs ear on that and he threw a late flag. Our guy never even touched him. PSU gets new life and wins the game in OT. That one really annoyed me.

OSU ‘89
NW ‘00
PU ‘01
MI ‘03
WI ‘05

Ah, those were the days…..

The Northwestern loss was the first I had seen. It's the only successful game ending Hail Mary pass that I've ever seen in person. Little did I know it would be the first of several similar Dome endings.

Throw in massive collapses in bowl games against NC State (2000) and Texas Tech (2006) and you get a coaching change, which is too bad. I hoped to see Mason coach at TCF, the stadium he helped build.

I'm looking to see if anyone remembers an article written around 2009 that detailed the worst gopher games at the metrodome. My memory is that it was a reussian piece, but I cant find it through googling.
I was at Northwestern 2000, Michigan 2003 and Wisconsin 2005, don't need an article to remind me of those.

Can't forget the phantom PI against Penn State in 2006 when we had stopped them on 4th down for the win. Freaking Paterno got in the refs ear on that and he threw a late flag. Our guy never even touched him. PSU gets new life and wins the game in OT. That one really annoyed me.
AND...that was preceeded by a missed extra point in overtime. Brutal loss

Imagine being a Penn State fan in 2011 and all you were lead to believe life was a giant lie

a different kind of collapse: Illinois 1982
Gophers won the first 3 games of the season easily
were leading Illinois 24-22. Punted. Illinois returned the punt for a TD to take the lead
Gophers never recovered. lost that game and all the games the rest of the season and went 1-10 the following season

Top Bottom