Great game by Gary Tinsley and the defense!

Reaction score
Obviously the offense is atrocious, but the defense played their best game of the year by far. Cosgrove finally started putting pressure on the QB (should have been doing this last week against SDSU) and produced great results. Gary Tinsley stepped up very well today with ten tackles and one sack. The linebackers should be very good again next year with Tinsley, Cooper, and Maresh.

Tinsley was all over the field, only bright spot from the game today.

Also, Collado isn't so bad when he turns his body into human battering ram on those all out blitzes.

Also, Collado isn't so bad when he turns his body into human battering ram on those all out blitzes.

Do you think a transition to safety next year would put Collado in a better position on the field? I know we have Theret and Royston, but what if Royston and Collado swapped positions?

i think collado looked today. we need to give him a serious look at one of the safety spots

Do you think a transition to safety next year would put Collado in a better position on the field? I know we have Theret and Royston, but what if Royston and Collado swapped positions?

If Royston can do it I think it makes sense.

Holy crap, a thread with actual intelligent discussion about the game today? I think this sucker should be locked and deleted immediately.

I've been harsh on Collado, but he played very well today. And Tinsley was everywhere today. I thought the DL did a good job keeping the OL off the LBs so they could make plays today. We really kept Iowa from running the ball effectively.

defense was exceptional-but, this is what cosgrove knows...a simple run first , play action pass offense....spread teams-ouch

The defense was good but part of that is just Iowa being terrible on offense right now. The QB was overwhelmed (looked like Weber) and they have no RBs.

Collado might be an OK safety (MIGHT) but he still got beat on a slant near the goal line as a CB. He blitzed well but they didn't do anything to try to block him, either. I don't want him playing any CB snaps next year.

Collado is a solid player if he doesn't have to cover anybody, he could really be the leader of the D next year.

Our defense played great today....but let's not forget Iowa Looked pretty horrid. I loved Gary Tinsley...he looks big and fast. Maybe our D will be alright next year....

Tinsley and Collado did both stand out today. Nice to see.

Not concerned about the D next year. Lots of very good talent to fill gaps left by the seniors. Tinsley, Cooper, Maresh, and Reeves at LB. Edwards, Kirksey, and probably Jacobs at DT. Carter and TBD at CB. Both safeties back with young guys (Watkins, Lewis, Dandridge) and Collado pushing for PT. D-end next year HAS to be an upgrade than what we had this year. I think guys like Wilhite, KGM, Garin, and Hageman may bring a level of athlete to that position that we haven't seen around here since Karon Riley. Obviously lots of questions on offense.

Loving the highlight reel of hits Tinsley and Collado put together today.

Ummm....

The defense was good but part of that is just Iowa being terrible on offense right now. The QB was overwhelmed (looked like Weber) and they have no RBs.

You mean the same "terrible" Iowa offense that hung 24 points on Ohio State last week, AT the horseshoe, first career start for the QB who threw for 233 yards against the #1 defense in the Big Ten?

Yeah, I guess you're right...

I think the defence played well but Ogee you are over rating Iowa's offence. They did ok at Ohio State but actually scored only 17 (7 points on a kick-off return). Addtionally it is likely a different game if Robinson doesn't get hurt. He was averaging 6 yards a carry. Wegher averaged under 2.

I know everyone wants to be negative today, but....is it possible a big part of why Iowa's offense looked so bad was because our defense played pretty well? We held a team, who was just in the National Championship discussion a few weeks ago, to under 180 yards of offense, including 40 in the 2nd half.

Yes, they have a young, inexperienced QB playing, but I also think we played pretty well against their good OL. Lots of pressure on the QB, and little running room.

I am in no way trying to say our defense was average today, because they were definitely good today... But does anybody else think that the Iowa offense made our defense look better than they actually played with their close to the vest, safe, don't put your QB bad spot play calling? Again, our defense played well today...

I hope Collato is coming into his own. He was not ready to play as a Fr. and I think it really hurt him mentally. Hopefully he is now starting to feel at home back there. He would make a better safety than CB. I'm still not sold that we don't have a better safety than Royston. We also get Rallis back,just don't know about his speed???? otherwise seems to have a good football head.

Okay, lets calm down on Collado. He had three great hits - two sacks, and a run stuff. However, he wasn't blocked on any of those blitzes. He has blitzed a lot this year, but this is these were two of the few times he actually hit somebody.

And the last thing we need is another 5'6 safety - I've had enough of Theret, thank you.

I think the defence played well but Ogee you are over rating Iowa's offence. They did ok at Ohio State but actually scored only 17 (7 points on a kick-off return). Addtionally it is likely a different game if Robinson doesn't get hurt. He was averaging 6 yards a carry. Wegher averaged under 2.

and lets face it, our D did there job, but why would KF do anything differently. Once they were up 9-0, the way our O played/was held in check by their D, why take any chances?

Iowa played the game we gave them. Congrats to the D for playing well. Congrats to Cosgrove/Lee figuring out we could blitz from the blind side and the Iowa QB wouldn't pick it up and their O coordinator wouldn't change the game plan to protect him and continuing to do it.

Agreed

My faith in our Defensive players was justified. And for the first time this year I was extremely happy with Cosgrove's gameplan. It was aggressive and effective. I can't wait to see what guys like Carter, Cooper, and Tinsley look like with another year of physical and mental development.

The biggest question mark on defense seemed to be at linebacker for next year. After Tinsley's play I am thinking they could be as good or better next year. Defense should be tough again. That is something to build on.

The biggest question mark on the defense for next year in the line... Reeves, Tinsley, Cooper, Maresh should be fine. Its the line for next year that I am worried about.

The biggest question mark on the defense for next year in the line... Reeves, Tinsley, Cooper, Maresh should be fine. Its the line for next year that I am worried about.

I think our line next year will be solid against the run. Edwards should be able to step right in for Small and/or Brown, and has seen the field a lot the last couple years. Kirksey should be good at the other DT spot, and Jacobs looks like he could play anywhere along the line. Wilhite also has looked very good at times.

My concern for the line next year is depth and the pass rush. Besides the four mentioned above we don't return much experience. Hopefully somebody can step it up as a pass rusher, maybe Garin, Gregory-McGhee, etc.

I am very excited about Jacobs and Wilhite. They both came in as HS RBs with good speed for their size, and have since put on a lot of weight and muscle. Hopefully they have kept that speed and can give us two great athletes on the line.

Jacobs was a guy who I was very excited about coming into this season as well, and did not do as much as I hoped. With another offseason and spring to learn the DL and grow into his frame, perhaps he will become a force.

Top Bottom