Gotta Hand it to the Students

RailBaronYarr

Reaction score
Bitch and moan about the fact that so many freshman only came due to free tickets, but they filled up their section with 8,000+ students by my eye. They were there early, and by % more stayed til the end. Where the flying hell are all the people with tickets between the 10s on top and bottom decks? Seriously, easily less than half full. The students were loud, kept the energy going, and seemed to be doing a few new things. Here's hoping we go 4-0 non-conf and beat Iowa to keep them coming back for the big games vs Wisc/Nebraska, we'll need them.

Totally agree. The students were great. Hopefully they all had a great time and bring even more friends next game.

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Great job by the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> student section tonight!!! You came out in big numbers, danced it up and brought the noise! Bring that every game!</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/373291079531249664">August 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Now we just need to get someone to stop doing the Goldy push-up thing while we're on defense...

Loved the student section today. Hope they keep coming!

+1. Students were looking into the hot sun the whole first half. They had grit tonight!

Students put the rich folk in the fancy seats to shame tonight, time we all set an example to the students and show them 30 years down the road it's still worth it to show up and stay the whole game!

I loved how the student section was actually trying to get a wave going. They must have tried at least 10 times. But the all the old people ruined it.

I loved how the student section was actually trying to get a wave going. They must have tried at least 10 times. But the all the old people ruined it.

No. Please no wave.

Students were solid. I really hope we do free tickets for all the games. Did anybody check out the student tailgate lot?

Watched at home and was pleased when they turned the cameras toward the student section. Looked like a ton of energy. Free tickets or not, that's how you get fans. Now keep them there!

Students were solid. I really hope we do free tickets for all the games. Did anybody check out the student tailgate lot?

It was decent. Has potential... Quite empty tho relative to other lots. Police officers were in somewhat abundance and some kiddies got caught.

It was decent. Has potential... Quite empty tho relative to other lots. Police officers were in somewhat abundance and some kiddies got caught.

It is also possible some students that bought season tickets or parking passes haven't made it back to campus. I could see the tailgate lot being crazy for the Iowa game.

Certainly not all the students had free tickets, but a large number did. With school not starting for nearly a week, it will take some time to change the mindset and get students moved in with the freshman if Norwood is going to keep this as the traditional opener. I think the student tailgate lot has potential once the 21 year old students are here.it's pretty much only seniors who are 21 at this point in the school year, and they have a much higher probability of having a vehicle on campus. I wonder how many fresh have a vehicle and the paraphernalia that goes with tailgating?

Watched at home and was pleased when they turned the cameras toward the student section. Looked like a ton of energy. Free tickets or not, that's how you get fans. Now keep them there!

Hopefully seeing 51 pts. and three exciting TD plays will turn some free tickets into purchased season tickets.

Now we just need to get someone to stop doing the Goldy push-up thing while we're on defense...

When else would they do it? A student section of 8,000+ chanting numbers while the opposing O is trying to run plays can be quite distracting. I don't mind it.

My bad, there was a football game going on. I don't enjoy watching people put up the arms and stand up around the stadium a couple of times as much as I like my gopher football.

When else would they do it? A student section of 8,000+ chanting numbers while the opposing O is trying to run plays can be quite distracting. I don't mind it.
Honestly, if we can't figure a way to do it during a break, don't even do it at all for all I care. I am a student, and last night when the Antonio Johnson int happened, barely anyone knew it even happened. I know this is serious nitpicking, I just don't like it when they pretty much take most of the students out of the game for a play or two.

Having a game on Thursday night of Welcome Week is simply a great idea. If only 1/3 of Freshman students get hooked, it will make a big difference.

There was lots of competition last Thursday night with the State Fair, Labor Day this coming Monday, a Vikings Pre-Season game, and the Twins game. So, hats off to the students. If it wasn't for them, the stadium would've look sparser.

Students could've been anywhere else in the city on a Thursday night... much props to them... :clap:

Yup.

Now lets see if they can translate that into a strong showing on Saturday morning next week..

Yup.

Now lets see if they can translate that into a strong showing on Saturday morning next week..

Isn't NMSU on the road? Please correct me if I'm wrong but students rarely travel to away games right?

I do however think if we can go into the B10 Season 4-0 then the Iowa game will be ***PACKED***...

Great turnout. Don't want to be the negative guy but, still sad that we have to beg them to show up and then praise them so publicly for showing up Thursday night the week before school starts. They should have been clawing to get in.

It was a good turnout and most stayed until the end. As an Alumn and a die hard fan I am at almost every home game. Hopefully these kids had fun and saw the potential in showing up at the bank and having a good time for every game. We need the students and we need the long time fans. It has been beaten to death on this site for many years that the only way to fill the stadium up is to get consecutive winning season and win the fans back.

Top Bottom