Got my grandson registered for Jerry Kill's Skill Camp, June 16-17...

Cobra

former west banker
Reaction score
Got my grandson registered for Jerry Kill's Camp

His grandma is driving him up to Mpls, since his mom and I both have to work. It should be quite the adventure for him, spending 2 nights in a hotel room with G-Ma, seeing the bright lights of the big city for the first time, & the whole camp experience...
He's a little nervous, but I told him not to worry about anything, have fun, & show them what he's got. He'll be a sophomore this year, just finished up the track season, lettered as a freshman & broke two school records. He's passionate about football, & would like to land a scholarship. He's a little on the small side, but he's really fast & has great leaping ability. (you can't teach speed) I figure he'll get a decent idea on where he stands athletically with all the other kids there, since he's from a small town. He likes to play running back & return kicks, & he's good at that, but I could see him maybe playing CB or slot receiver at the next level.
Knowing that Coach Kill likes to evaluate kids in camp, I'm hoping he shows well & gets noticed.

His grandma is driving him up to Mpls, since his mom and I both have to work. It should be quite the adventure for him, spending 2 nights in a hotel room with G-Ma, seeing the bright lights of the big city for the first time, & the whole camp experience...
He's a little nervous, but I told him not to worry about anything, have fun, & show them what he's got. He'll be a sophomore this year, just finished up the track season, lettered as a freshman & broke two school records. He's passionate about football, & would like to land a scholarship. He's a little on the small side, but he's really fast & has great leaping ability. (you can't teach speed) I figure he'll get a decent idea on where he stands athletically with all the other kids there, since he's from a small town. He likes to play running back & return kicks, & he's good at that, but I could see him maybe playing CB or slot receiver at the next level.
Knowing that Coach Kill likes to evaluate kids in camp, I'm hoping he shows well & gets noticed.

That's awesome and best of luck to him. The most shocking part of the post, assuming you're in MN, is that he's a soon to be sophomore that hasn't been to the Twin Cities yet. In any case, hope he represents well.

Good job Cobra!

That's awesome and best of luck to him. The most shocking part of the post, assuming you're in MN, is that he's a soon to be sophomore that hasn't been to the Twin Cities yet. In any case, hope he represents well.

Best of luck to your grandson!

Cobra's kid rules!!! Good luck to him.

My grandson has started baseball camps with Gene Larkin. My grandson just finished 7th grade.

We live in NE Wisconsin, so he hasn't been to a really large metro area yet. I grew up in Mpls... Saw my first Gopher game in 1966.
I did my due diligence & checked out becky's camps cuz Madison is a lot closer, & but they aren't squat compared to Jerry's camps. Where he goes to college is up to him, but if he's good enough to get a scholly offer, I sure hope he gets one from Jerry, & he plays for the Gophers.
I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

I just love to hear stories like this. Go get 'em kid!

Talent knows no zip code. I root for the kid who has talent and a dream. The kid who may have never been in an elevator, unless its the local grain elevator. Chasing the dream that's what its all about. Good Luck! and give it all you've got.

Best of luck to him. I played for one of the big metro schools here, and we'd always do a camp in WI with some schools from up that way. Talent gap wasn't as big as you might expect, so if your grandson is good enough to play as a sophomore he should be able to cut it w/ the guys from some bigger schools.

Let us know how it goes!

Sigh.... I wish I would've had parents/grandparents like this along the way. Coming from a very rural town, there was pretty minimal avenues for exposure to this sort of thing unless your family took the initiative to get you there or put your tape out. Wish the best of luck to your grandson for the camp and the future.

Update for 2015:
Got my grandson going to Jerry Kill's Elite Junior Camp on July 17th.
He's still in his sophomore year and running track this spring with some surprising results.
He's qualified for State this coming weekend in in the 100m and 4x100m relay as the anchor.
The kid is just a natural speed merchant.
I took him to the game against the badginas last fall & he was all duded up in Gopher gear.
His eyes were wide open, since he'd never been to a big time football game.
He's getting some interest from the local small colleges around here, but he wants a scholly to play for the Gophers, or some Power 5 school if he can.
We're still not sure how all this will play out, with his size and ability, but we think he has a good shot.
He's also a straight A student in the National Honor Society, no character issues, so I told him he's got the total package.
My hope is that he turns some heads at camp this year, & if he isn't B1G caliber, maybe the coaches will let some other coaches know about him.
Fun time to be a football fan grampa!

I wish him the best of luck. Coach Kill and staff at a minimum, will show him pointers on how to improve his skill set. Hopefully, he is good enpugh to don the M&B.

I wish him the best of luck. Coach Kill and staff at a minimum, will show him pointers on how to improve his skill set. Hopefully, he is good enpugh to don the M&B.
Don't mess up the school colors, man.

Sent from my 78Dian 78P01 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom