Gophs Really Going After An "A" List Coach

Duluthguy

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned MV's podcast over at FBT. According to MV, the Gophs are going after an active coach and are very serious about landing that top tier guy who has name recognition and instant credibility. And, they are truly willing to shell out big bucks to make it happen. He also claims Leach and Bellotti are out of consideration.

MV doesn't suggest any names, but the way he talks the Gophs will be pursuing guys like Peterson, Patterson, Harbaugh, etc. In other words, Maturi was really serious when he talked about the kind of guy he'd like to get. The apparent hope is that one of the big names will be dissatisfied with something in their current situation or looking to make a move because of some other personal or professional reason. If this is true, at least for now, almost all of the candidates being talked about on this board (even Trestman) would not be up for consideration. Of course, they might have to work their way down to guys like Sumlin, Calhoun, etc.

I'm not sure how well connected MV is, but if he is right, we're at least very serious about asking the prettiest girl to the prom.

I listened to the podcast last night and very much liked what I heard. I really hope he's right.

Nice. While I think it's stupid to rule out Leach this early (unless he has already turned us down), I'll be very happy with a guy that has name recognition and previous success.

It could also include guys like Sumlin, Tubberville, etc. It all depends on what Maturi's definition of a name guy is.

I wonder why Leach and Belotti are out of consideration? (I get it with Leach.) When Peterson, Patterson and Harbaugh turn us down, won't Leach and Belotti start to sound pretty good?

This sounds awesome, but I have to take it all with a grain of salt. It gets my hopes and expectations up too much. A month ago I would've expected -- and accepted -- Sumlin or Hoke. Now they're not good enough for me because Maturi, Bruiniks and now MV are telling us they're shooting for the moon. I hope they hit it.

I'm not sure why he thinks Bellotti is out of consideration. They just briefly mentioned him, and, as I remember, they talked over each other so I couldn't hear what was said. As far as Leach goes, if the story is true that he got wasted at the Insight Bowl and cussed out his superiors in front of Maturi, you don't need the James incident to scare you away from him.

I would like to know who Maturi considers an "A-list" Coach before I even feel comfortable with the idea of turning anyone down...

I have a feeling they're not gonna live up to their own talk...

It could also include guys like Sumlin, Tubberville, etc. It all depends on what Maturi's definition of a name guy is.
If it's really an "A" list coach, that's the absolute cream of the crop. An A lister would be a guy with multiple coference championships and possibly a national championship under his belt. Nick Saban's an A lister, ditto for Meyer and Tressel. Is Harbaugh an "A" lister?

If it's really an "A" list coach, that's the absolute cream of the crop. An A lister would be a guy with multiple coference championships and possibly a national championship under his belt. Nick Saban's an A lister, ditto for Meyer and Tressel. Is Harbaugh an "A" lister?

Could you imagine if we got Nick Saban. It won't ever happen, but the idea of stealing a b-ball coach with a title from Kentucky and a football coach off a national championship from Alabama would be head spinning.

Maybe we should make that the A- list. MV said the Gophs were willing to shell out enough money that the guy could be (if I remember correctly) ranked in the top 12-15 nationally in terms of pay. That wouldn't bring a Meyer, Saban, etc., but it could be a good salary bump for guys like Peterson and Harbaugh. Problem is, the A- list is so small, your chances of landing one of these guys - for any school - is pretty low. I'm not sure either if Harbaugh qualifies to be on the A- list, but for some reason I could see him coming here.

I think while everyone was predicting who Maturi is most interested in, he was busy meeting with a search firm. In other words, other then looking for an A list candidate, which IMO he really has no choice or there will be a revival of tar and feathers in MN. He is truly trying to do his due diligence in finding a right and good hc coach.

So for the posts that say he already has a top pick...might want to ease up on that for the time. Maybe the two already mentioned did turn him down...no idea. But there is still work to be done and an active coach makes more sense then one who is out of work at the moment.

It is sounding, to me anyways, that the Miami coach is starting to look even more and more like the guy they are after.

Side note: How ironic for Henderson to commit to Miami only to have his coach possibly end up in Minnesota ...

Not that it makes a difference because I don't neccesarily believe it either, but i've heard from booster type people that they think it's going to be Harbaugh. Like I said, I don't think it's a possibility and I sometimes hate people posting rumors but it sounds like the #1 target is Harbaugh and they think they have a shot at him.

Except it would be horrible because it's an awful hire.

Why?

I don't for a second think Shannon would actually come here or leave Miami (his ties run to deep). But if he did.

He is a coach who has his program trending in the right direction.
He is a coach from a program that is considered a "Helmet School"
He is a well respected defensive coach.
He is instilling discipline at a school not known for that.
As a head coach he has shown steady improvement in W-L record and recruiting.
His only losses this year have been to ranked teams. With a W over Va. Tech his team will be in the ACC Championship game with a potential rematch against FSU. If he can could beat FSU (good teams that know each other tend to split in a season) he would be in a BCS Bowl game after playing in a New Year's Day bowl game last year.

Shannon is getting in trouble for not winning in South Florida at the U, how would he do with U of MN type talent?

I'd be more excited about a guy who has done a lot with a little, like Al Golden or Troy Calhoun, than I would about a guy who has done a little with a lot, like Randy Shannon.

Why?

I don't for a second think Shannon would actually come here or leave Miami (his ties run to deep). But if he did.

He is a coach who has his program trending in the right direction.
He is a coach from a program that is considered a "Helmet School"
He is a well respected defensive coach.
He is instilling discipline at a school not known for that.
As a head coach he has shown steady improvement in W-L record and recruiting.

He has had very mediocre success with upper-echelon talent, how on earth is he going to do better here?

That is my concern about Shannon is that he is so connected/understands the athletes from South Florida that he might struggle recruiting up in MN. I think his record as the head coach of Miami is a more a reflection of the poor recruiting of Larry Coker than anything else.

He has had very mediocre success with upper-echelon talent, how on earth is he going to do better here?

I don't think the talent there has been upper-echelon. I think it has been good, but below Miami standards (at least until the last couple of years). Their two losses this year have been to 1 loss teams.

Shannon lacks a real track record

Fourth year: 26-19. In same boat with Sumlin and others with 3,4 years HC background. We need a proven winner with a genuine track record who can manage and build a program and recruit and thrive in the very tough Big Ten. All these guys would be well down the list and should be, including Golden, who plays Villanova and Army, etc.

Fourth year: 26-19. In same boat with Sumlin and others with 3,4 years HC background. We need a proven winner with a genuine track record who can manage and build a program and recruit and thrive in the very tough Big Ten. All these guys would be well down the list and should be, including Golden, who plays Villanova and Army, etc.

...........but he plays them with TEMPLE. Check the recent history of Temple football and tell me what Golden has done there is not impressive. He'd beat Minnesota with this year's Temple team.

Top Bottom