GopherSports: Under The Helmet: Eric Murray

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

Senior cornerback Eric Murray is known for intercepting, breaking up and defending passes, or simply scaring opposing offenses from throwing to his side of the field in the first place. But if someone does catch a ball in his vicinity, Murray wants to make sure that player doesn’t tack on many extra yards to the play.

“He’s a fierce tackler,” said Gophers wide receiver KJ Maye, who has gone against Murray in practice for years. “Very physical. He makes sure that he wraps you up and takes you down. He’s a sure tackler.”

Murray appears meant to play defense, yet it was his affinity for playing another position that led him to push himself and try another contact sport as a junior in high school.

“I was obsessed with being a wide receiver, and at the time, Roddy White was real hot,” he said. “They did a story on him saying the reason he’s so physical is because he wrestled.”

Inspired by this story about the Atlanta Falcons star receiver, Murray joined Riverside University High School’s wrestling team. It was his first experience with the sport, so he had a lot to learn.

“It was difficult at first,” Murray said. “The ground game was probably the most challenging part for me. I was well conditioned and I was pretty fast. Everybody else was bigger than me, so I was quicker than everybody else. Really all I did was take people down, get my two points, let them get back up, and we went from there.”

Murray wrestled junior varsity for just one season. The Milwaukee-area JV 171-pound class was not prepared for this hard-charging rookie grappler.

“I lost one match,” he said. “The dude that beat me my first match, I beat him my very last wrestling match.”

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102615aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom