Gophers vs Indiana St

From the U of MN:

Gophers Set to Play Indiana Sunday on ESPN2
The University of Minnesota men's basketball team will play Indiana State in the Second Round of the NIT on Sunday at 1 p.m. CT on ESPN2.

Should the Gophers win over Indiana State, Minnesota would advance to face the winner of Bradley vs. Cincinnati/San Francisco in the Third Round.

Minnesota advanced to the Second Round when it defeated Butler Tuesday night in Indianapolis, 73-72. Dawson Garcia scored a team-high 25 points, while Elijah Hawkins had 11 points, 15 assists, six rebounds, and the game-tying and game-winning free throws. With the win, Minnesota improves to 19-14 this year.

Indiana State advanced to the Second Round with a win over SMU tonight in Terre Haute, Ind., at the Hulman Center. The Sycamores, a No. 1 seed, are led by MVC First Team selection Robbie Avila and are 29-6 this season.

Minnesota is 3-1 all-time against the Sycamores, dating back to 1983 and meeting for the first time since 2011. The Gophers are 0-1 in Terra Haute, which came in a 94-86 loss on Dec. 11, 1984. Minnesota's last meeting against Indiana State came in nonconference tournament play when the two teams faced each other in the Old Spice Classic on Nov. 25, 2011, where the Gophers won 76-69.

I think MN matches up pretty favorably with Ind. St. Avila is very skilled, but he is not nearly the physical presence of Payne. Avila will have a lot of issues defending, and won't play more than 30 min. or so. He's chunky and slow. Garcia should handle the four even more favorably than against Butler. Look for a nice game from Dawson.
Ind. St. is clearly not the physical Big Ten-type team MN is used to, but their ball movement will give MN problems on the defensive end. The team w/most layups will win this game.

I think MN matches up pretty favorably with Ind. St. Avila is very skilled, but he is not nearly the physical presence of Payne. Avila will have a lot of issues defending, and won't play more than 30 min. or so. He's chunky and slow. Garcia should handle the four even more favorably than against Butler. Look for a nice game from Dawson.
Ind. St. is clearly not the physical Big Ten-type team MN is used to, but their ball movement will give MN problems on the defensive end. The team w/most layups will win this game.
I'm not sure...I like our matchup offensively, but we've been super prone to giving up easy buckets system on D recently.

After watching the Sycamores comeback win last night...definitely fearful of Avila dropping backdoor dimes while operating from the high post all game.

Will be a fun one to watch on Sunday!

I'm not sure...I like our matchup offensively, but we've been super prone to giving up easy buckets system on D recently.

After watching the Sycamores comeback win last night...definitely fearful of Avila dropping backdoor dimes while operating from the high post all game.

Will be a fun one to watch on Sunday!

Yeah....we should have a clear advantage inside....so I hope we don't have guys jacking up threes all game. That's not the recipe to win this one. Defense definitely worries me....as these guys can put up points. Going to be a really interesting game.

When Michigan State beat them at Breslin, it appears that they were able to get Avila and Kent in foul trouble. Kent fouled out in 21 minutes of play and Avila only played 18 minutes. He ended up with 4 fouls and I'm assuming that's why the minutes are down.

To extend their season, the Gophers will need to overcome Indiana State, the No. 1 overall seed in the NIT.

One of the most intriguing early NIT matchups could be when the Gophers men's basketball team plays at 1 p.m. Sunday at Indiana State, the tournament's No. 1 overall seed.

The Gophers (19-14) advanced past the first round with a 73-72 win Tuesday at Butler. The Sycamores (29-6) defeated SMU 101-92 at home on Wednesday night.

The Big Ten's ninth place team will battle the Missouri Valley's regular season champion at 1 p.m. CT Sunday on ESPN2 at the Hulman Center in Terre Haute, Ind. The winner plays in the quarterfinals against the winner of Bradley and Cincinnati.

In Tuesday's comeback win vs. Butler, the Gophers were led by Dawson Garcia's 25 points. Elijah Hawkins also set a program postseason record with 15 assists, to go with 11 points and six rebounds. Hawkins' two free throws with five seconds remaining sealed the win.

On Wednesday, Indiana State forward Jayson Kent had a career-high 35 points in the win against SMU. Ryan Conwell also had 25 points for the Sycamores, who scored 61 points in the second half..

To extend their season, the Gophers will need to overcome Indiana State, the No. 1 overall seed in the NIT.

One of the most intriguing early NIT matchups could be when the Gophers men's basketball team plays at 1 p.m. Sunday at Indiana State, the tournament's No. 1 overall seed.

The Gophers (19-14) advanced past the first round with a 73-72 win Tuesday at Butler. The Sycamores (29-6) defeated SMU 101-92 at home on Wednesday night.

The Big Ten's ninth place team will battle the Missouri Valley's regular season champion at 1 p.m. CT Sunday on ESPN2 at the Hulman Center in Terre Haute, Ind. The winner plays in the quarterfinals against the winner of Bradley and Cincinnati.

In Tuesday's comeback win vs. Butler, the Gophers were led by Dawson Garcia's 25 points. Elijah Hawkins also set a program postseason record with 15 assists, to go with 11 points and six rebounds. Hawkins' two free throws with five seconds remaining sealed the win.

On Wednesday, Indiana State forward Jayson Kent had a career-high 35 points in the win against SMU. Ryan Conwell also had 25 points for the Sycamores, who scored 61 points in the second half..

61 points in the second half? Jeez. Two guys combined for 60. Guess we know who to focus on.

I don't watch basketball but now that I see it's on ESPN2 and not ESPN+, I might have to tune into this one to watch Larry Blurred.

Got a good gametime here. Will only be overlapping with the Purdue/Utah State game (assuming Colorado/Marquette doesn't drag on).....and that doesn't start until 1:40ct.

Top Bottom