Gophers vs. Badgers Through the Decades

Nomellini

Reaction score
Sarurday's game inspired me to do a little digging into past wins over the Badgers. Maybe you can supply the names of some of the Gophers cited below who contributed in big ways is some of these victories.
1936- Minnesota 24 at Wisconsin 0
A touchdown is scored on a 45-yard pass play to a Shattuck Faribault grad who would go on to be a Hall of Fame college head coach. His first name was "Charles" but he went by a nickname.
1948- Minnesota 16 at Wisconsin 0
An end from Duluth kicks a short field goal. He would go on to play 9 years with the 49ers, be a 2-time Pro Bowler, lead the NFL in scoring twice and catch 249 passes.
1955- Minnesota 21 Wisconsin 6
A running back from Pelican Rapids, nicknamed "Snowshoe", rushes for 117 yards and 2 touchdowns and intercepts 2 passes. He would go on to lead the 1956 team in rushing yards (one that narrowly missed a Rose Bowl trip).
1965- Minnesota 42 Wisconsin 7
Gophers get 2 touchdown passes from an Edina grad who is the first Minnesota player to pass for 1,000 yards in a season. One of the passes goes to an All-American end from Port Arthur, Texas who would go on to be a prominent member of the Kansas City defense that throttled the Vikings in their first Super Bowl loss.
1972- Minnesota 14 Wisconsin 6
A quarterback from Robbinsdale rushes for 143 yards in a game where the Gophers complete no passes but take 5 turnovers.
1985- Minnesota 27 Wisconsin 18
A speedy back from Davenport, Iowa carries a short Rickey Foggie pass 76 yards to the Badger 5-yard line. A fullback from Cedar Rapids, Iowa scores from 32 yards out. He is the team's leading rusher this season and would go on to a long career as an ophthalmologist back in Cedar Rapids.
1994- Minnesota 28 Wisconsin 21
Gophers hand Badgers their only loss of the season. A defensive back from Roseville returns a Darrell Bevell interception 55 yards to put Minnesota up 21-0. With the score 21-14, the clinching touchdown is set up when a back from Houston, who would later mainly play defense, carries a short pass 85 yards to the Wisconsin 7-yard line. A running back from Little Canada catches a 27-yard touchdown pass. He is #8 in school history with 132 career catches.
2003- Minnesota 37 Wisconsin 34
Gophers blow a 24-6 halftime lead and lose Asad Abdul-Khaliq to injury. An obscure back-up from Mayville, Wisconsin comes in and does just enough, hitting 6 of 10 passes. One comes on a crucial, 20-yard, sideline fade throw to a rangy wide-out from California, which sets up Rhys Lloyd's last second, winning field goal. Barber and Maroney each rush for 130+ yards.
2018- Minnesota 37 at Wisconsin 15
Gophers get 2 late touchdown runs from 23 and 16 yards out from a running back out of Sarasota, FL that turn the game into a rout.

Hope you have fun!

I miss the days when The Monsignor would come over to our board and post about the history of the "Great Rivalry"....

1985. Gary Couch from Davenport IA. David Puk from Cedar Rapids.
2003 The backup QB was Benji Kamrath.

The ones I knew for sure were identified right away. I’m not special.

1994 (I think you meant 1993). I was there!
Rosga, Rios, and Rishon Early

1994 (I think you meant 1993). I was there!
Rosga, Rios, and Rishon Early
Of course, it was 1993. Thank you for correcting me. In1994 the Gophers went to Madison and won 17-14 in another upset. That was the game in which Tutu Atwell caught a late, game-winning touchdown pass.

Thanks to all viewers and responders. Here are your answers. Only 3 players escaped you!
1936- Bud Wilkinson
1948- Gordy Soltau
1955-BOB SCHULTZ
1965- John Hankinson and Aaron Brown
1972- Bob Morgan
1985- Gary Couch and David Puk
1993- Jeff Rosga, RISHON EARLY and Chuck Rios
2003- Benji Kamrath and AARON HOSACK
2018- Bryce Williams

Last edited:

Thanks to all viewers and responders. Here are your answers. Only 3 players escaped you!
1936- Bud Wilkinson
1948- Gordy Soltau
1955-BOB SCHULTZ
1965- John Hankinson and Aaron Brown
1972- Bob Morgan
1985- Gary Couch and David Puk
1993- Jeff Rosga, RISHON EARLY and Chuck Rios
2003- Benji Kamrath and AARON HOSACK
2018- BRYCE WILLIAMS
I got Early!

Of course, it was 1993. Thank you for correcting me. In1994 the Gophers went to Madison and won 17-14 in another upset. That was the game in which Tutu Atwell caught a late, game-winning touchdown pass.
Chuck Rios was from Little Canada and the Houston back is Chris Darkens

Yeah, this was a great thread. Brought back memories for me of 1972 and Mr. Morgan. I remember listening to the game on the radio as a young boy (11 yr old). Forgot that we completed NO passes that day. Was that Cal Stoll's first year?

As an aside, I sure miss Ray C.'s radio voice. He made the games come alive........

I want answers!!!

Yeah, this was a great thread. Brought back memories for me of 1972 and Mr. Morgan. I remember listening to the game on the radio as a young boy (11 yr old). Forgot that we completed NO passes that day. Was that Cal Stoll's first year?

As an aside, I sure miss Ray C.'s radio voice. He made the games come alive........
Yes, it was Stoll's first year. He ran something called a "Veer" offense that did not exactly emphasize passing. When he brought in Dungy, he made some changes

His final year as coach was my freshman year at the U.......

Top Bottom