Gophers @ USC: Pregame Thread

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Normally I'd wait until game week, but CFN has their prediction up: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1096692.html

Here’s The Deal … Minnesota is returning the favor after hosting the Trojans in the bright, shiny TCF Bank Stadium last year. The Gophers hung around in a 32-21 loss, showing more heart than it did in the loss to South Dakota the previous week, and that was about it for the fun until mid-November with a nine-game losing streak pushing Tim Brewster out the door. Enter Jerry Kill, who recreated Northern Illinois and made it a MAC power and now brings his terrific offensive mind to the Gophers as he tries to jump-start a sleepy program with a fan base that’ll go crazy with a little bit of success. However, going to USC, even against a wounded USC, is no way to kick off an era.

There’s no pressure on Kill right away to come up with big things, but if USC doesn’t start off the season with an impressive blowout, the panic sirens will go off. Everyone understands that the program is now feeling the full effects of the NCAA sanctions, and it’s understood that it’s going to be a while before things have a chance to get back to normal, but after struggling in the season-ending win over UCLA and after losing to Oregon State and Notre Dame in ugly fashion – albeit in very different ways, with a blowout against the Beavers and dropped passes against the Irish – a big performance right out of the gate is a must. Pac-12 play kicks off the week after against Utah, and while USC might not be USC again, this is the week to show that things haven’t dropped off too much.

Why Minnesota Might Win: Will USC quit? It’s a harsh suggestion that the Trojans gave up last year, and they showed fight at time when there was really nothing to play for, but considering they had as much talent as anyone in the conference, they were way too flaky. Consistency and focus wasn’t always a plus at USC even with it ruled the world under Pete Carroll, and now all the pressure in the world is on the team to start out well even with all the allowable excuses. If things go badly early on, will the Trojans have the ability to handle the adversity? It didn’t happen last year in tight situations, and Minnesota is just good enough on both sides of the ball to hang around, hang around, hang around, and then wait for the one big break. The Gophers have a good enough receiving corps to take advantage of a secondary that has talent, but didn’t produce nearly as well as it should’ve.

Why USC Might Win: Can the Minnesota offensive line give the skill players time to work? Line play was the key to Kill’s Northern Illinois teams, but he has to revamp a front five that only gets two starters back from a line that was great in pass protection, but didn’t do enough for the running game. The USC defensive line might be the team’s biggest strength and it should be able to gum up the works against the Gopher running game. Meanwhile, Matt Barkley and the Trojan offense should get all the time in the world against a Minnesota defensive front that isn’t going to get into the backfield. The Minnesota secondary will be good, but it’s not going to get a ton of help from the front seven and Barkley - who came up with an averaged 17-of-26, 192-yard, two touchdown, two pick day in last year’s wins over the Gophers – should put up huge numbers.

What To Watch Out For: Minnesota might have the biggest X factor in the game in MarQueis Gray, who has gone through a rocky road to become the starting quarterback. One the nation’s top dual-threat spread quarterbacks coming out of high school, first he wasn’t eligible, then the offense changed from the spread, and then he was moved to wide receiver for a stretch. The 6-4, 229-pound junior has tremendous athleticism, a live arm, and the talent and ability to have been an Elite 11 Quarterback camper in high school. After missing his senior year of high school with a broken arm, several schools soured on him, Minnesota kept calling, and now he might be the franchise. It’s a huge, huge reach to call him a possible Cam Newton, but he has the same athleticism, great size, and he’s in the right offense to work his skills. This could be his national coming out party.

What Will Happen: Minnesota won't look like the Minnesota of old, but it still won't be enough. The Gopher defense will be plucky early on and will keep the game within reach, and then the USC lines will take over and then the game will start to get out of hand. The USC ground game will be fine, but it'll be Barkley who puts up the big numbers as he hits on third down play after third down play to keep the Trojans in control. Gray will look great at times, but he'll try to do too much forcing two costly mistakes.

CFN Prediction: USC 38 ... Minnesota 21

Go Gophers, lets get this party started right!

According to CBS, USC has been practicing with a WR at QB to prepare for Gray:

WR George Farmer played QB on the scout team Wednesday, as DC Monte Kiffin looked for ways to simulate Minnesota's spread-option offense in preparation for the Trojans' opener. "It's always hard for us to prepare for the spread because all our quarterbacks are pro-style guys," Kiffin said. "Having Farmer back there helps us somewhat." Trojans RapidReports

And has been watching a lot of NIU tape to prepare for the Gophers' offense:

The team is watching lots of tape of Northern Illinois. The reason? Former NIU coach Jerry Kill is coaching Minnesota and the Gophers run a spread offense, which concerns coach Lane Kiffin. "I feel we are tackling well," Kiffin said. "But until we go against those wide open offenses, you just don't know what will happen." Trojans RapidReports

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rapid-reports/team/USC

"brings his terrific offensive mind to the Gophers as he tries to jump-start a sleepy program with a fan base that’ll go crazy with a little bit of success."

YEA BUDDY!

dj-pauly-d.jpg

USC remains undecided on starting tailback
http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-0826-usc-football-20110826,0,5978684.story

A couple injury updates:

At middle linebacker, senior starter Chris Galippo's status for next week's opener against Minnesota remains murky because of lingering soreness in his right shoulder
At left guard, redshirt junior Abe Markowitz was on track to start before injuring his left foot Wednesday. Kiffin said X-rays on the foot were negative, but Markowitz was in a walking boot Friday.
http://www.ocregister.com/sports/kiffin-314010-week-usc.html

I feel Minnesota will win this one. It will be a close win and not a blowout.

I give Minnesota-28 USC-24

As much as I yearn for an upset, the QB position brings me back to reality. A guy who has never started a game vs. one of the most highly recruited QB's of the past 5 years, now a Junior.

As much as I yearn for an upset, the QB position brings me back to reality. A guy who has never started a game vs. one of the most highly recruited QB's of the past 5 years, now a Junior.

Matt Barkley has never started a game?

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OcwyU7HH4p8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Here's a USC football preview.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OcwyU7HH4p8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Here's a USC football preview.

Wow! Who is the D-Nozzle that did that report? He sounds like he's reading cue-cards to a bunch of 1st graders.

A week away Gopher fans, the beginning of the CFB season. The weather projection is a high of 78 degrees, and 62 the low. Thank God, that open bowl can be scorching hot in September.

Hope to see a large contingent of your fans at the Coliseum.

The Gophers have gorgeous university colors. :cool:

Love the BIG-10 bands, are you bringing yours?...our own beloved Band Director of 40+ years, Dr. Arthur Bartner is a Michigan graduate (where he received all three of his degrees), all 300+ band members will be in the house.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Los Angeles, and you arrive early enough on game day to take in the campus and trailgate culture. Sadly, a 12:30 kickoff will not give you a full experience of the all day party we normally celebrate and love.

Good luck! Both our programs have questions..all we can hope for is that our boys put it all out there on the field, and no injuries on either side.

Fight On!

If the weather remains at 78 degrees, the Song Girls will be wearing their iconic white sweaters...

DSC00271.jpg

If the temperature jumps to 80 degrees, you will see this....

usc-song-girls_display_image.jpg

If the weather remains at 78 degrees, the Song Girls will be wearing their iconic white sweaters...

DSC00271.jpg

Thanks! I was trying to go to sleep!:eek:

On a serious note, you have no idea how pumped I am to actually step foot into the Coliseum!

Regarding our band, I haven't heard if they will be there or not. Due to budget issues, I'm thinking not. If they are, hearing our band play Minnesota's rouser in addition to USC's band will be icing on the cake.

Five more days till I depart for So. Cal. Can't wait.

Does anyone know what away game uniforms the Gophers will be wearing at USC?
Also, I just want to say you're a class act, Trojan Princess.

I highly doubt that the band will be there in full force given this schedule:
https://music.umn.edu/ensembles/marchingschedule2011
But there might be a group of veterans or alumni band in the stands with us, which would be quite awesome, IMO.

My guess is for white jerseys, gold pants.... but who knows these days.

Thanks, again for the info, Trojan Princess!

mattw1067 said:
Matt Barkley has never started a game?

Good natured, yet sarcastic humor like this is one of the top two reasons I enjoy message boards. Well played.

Thank you TP. Here's to the drinks staying cold and the temp hitting 80 :clap:

The band will not be there. If they can't afford to go to Iowa City or Madison they sure as hell ain't going to LA.

Thank you TP. Here's to the drinks staying cold and the temp hitting 80 :clap:

+1 Can't wait for the game, and TP you have really been a class act around here. Feel free to stick around after our matchup this year!

So Glen Mason has picked us to win, while early lines suggest we are 21 point dogs. Any thoughts on this?

Easy One

So Glen Mason has picked us to win, while early lines suggest we are 21 point dogs. Any thoughts on this?

He is predicting and upset and he likes the new coach at Minnesota.

I honestly highly doubt it. There are so many warning signs springing up that should suggest we do not have much of a chance. All you keep hearing in the media and from kill himself is how young our team is, how there isn't much depth on the roster, that we lack team speed and athleticism etc etc. That generally is a very, very bad sign. It's basically the nice way of saying you aren't going to be very good.

I love kill and since the first minute he was announced as the new coach I have radiated how happy I was with the hire. But he has his hands full big time with this team this year. He knows this and that is why he has set no expectations at all for the team with the media. He knows it's going to be a very bumpy ride this year.

Back to the USC game. Barkley is going to be a stud this year. Our secondary is a huge weak point and USC has a sick, sick crop of wide receivers to throw to. I mean honestly they have 3 5 star wide receivers we are going to have to match up against. I do not see us putting pressure on Barkley and that alone will amount to a an absolute nightmare for the defense. As far as our offense goes, I still do not have a lot of faith in Gray. I think he should have stuck at WR and that would have been that. I feel like USC will completely disrupt him in the passing game and he will be forced into scrambling and making bad decisions all day. Not to mention we are opening on the road in the Coliseum.... I think this was pretty much the worst case scenario to open the season for Jerry Kill. Too bad the non-conference schedule couldn't have been the other way around.

What happens when it hits 90? :p

DSC00271.jpg

Minnesota @ No. 25 USC (3:30 ABC/ESPN2)Carter Blackburn, Brock Huard & Shelley Smith

Western Michigan @ Michigan (3:30 ABC/ESPN2) Mike Patrick, Craig James & Jeannine Edwards

Here are your broadcasting teams we get the crappy one, but at least we don't have the guy who killed 5 hookers!

Top Bottom