Gophers to watch Majok Majok

Should have posted Fuller's twitter. The Gophers were going to watch him play today/tonight.
( Wednesday )

Any relation to Longar Longar or Duany Duany?

Does he do anything besides dunk?

He dominates some six foot white guys in this one ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tcPEbOuhnY&feature=related

And goes coast in to coast in this one ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCqfwHUE1qM&feature=related

Well .. the first one has clips against similar size guys here and there but it's so tough to tell what kind of competition it is.

On the bright side I read somewhere his school of choice is Harvard and his education is very important to him.

Does he do anything besides dunk?

Most of the stuff on Youtube is of Ater Majok. Serious beast. Who knows. Too bad they don't have a video of him matching up with his cousin.

Minnesota has been involved with Maj Majok (and others on his team) for awhile now..

Ater Majok is his cousin.. a few years older (22ish.. and Majok Majok is ~19), but a freshman at UCONN. It was hell to get him on the court, including issues with his education in Australia (both are from Sudan originally but were in Australia prior to coming to the states). As prospects, Ater had/has a lot more hype - and height - he's a good 2-3 inches taller than Majok Majok, who stands probably just a bit under 6'8".

Smart kid and if he had his choice, I think he'd be at Harvard. But... the standardized test scores may be an issue. There have been a million schools that have looked at him.. might be a project, but good upside - I'd be cool with Minnesota getting him. But, I don't think it's real likely... first, MM has been into the idea of a school with great (not a knock on the U, but...) academics... second, he has mentioned a lot of schools over the past 6 months, and I haven't heard much of anything in terms of him liking Minnesota. BUT... if he can't get into Harvard,... and being that most schools have fewer openings for 2010 than they had in October, it's possible.

Good attitude, I think he'll be a hard worker and has some pretty good hands. He'll do work down low, may develop a little mid-range game, but for the most part a stereotypical '4' is what he'll likely be. A bit of a "project".

Ironically, I think his team is playing 'Brewster Academy' this afternoon. Last year, MM went to South Kent in CT... this year he's at Northfield Mount Hermon in MA... Northfield feeds an impressive amount of basketball players... into the Ivy League schools.

At least a couple of his teammates are heading to Harvard this summer - Laurent Rivard and Matt Brown.. Another guy on their team.. Hector Harold is going to Pepperdine (he's originally from California) this summer as well... Minnesota had been taking a good look at Harold for quite some time. Good shooting 6'6" wing, but he opted to head back to the west coast.

As for his cousin... obviously UCONN has had a difficult season, with a few huge victories here and there... Ater has been starting most of the time, but his minutes have been around 15 per game... Gavin Edwards, a senior, has been coming off the bench more often than not, but getting big minutes... and Oriaki is a beast. In the 'big wins'... Ater Majok: Nova... 9 mins, 3 fouls, 2 to’s... Texas... 31 mins, 5 pts (1/5 shooting), 6 boards, 4 blocks.

I'll be interested to see how he does against these kids..

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-school...rewster-academy-bobcats/basketball/roster.htm

I didn't check the whole thing but they've got players going to Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, Iowa State, and more I would guess.

Yeah,... Brewster also has a 2010 big man uncommited... Mo Walker, center from Canada... could be a Pitt or KU guy.. was hopeful last fall that Marquette could grab him.

Will Barton is far and away the most talented on the team.. he's joining the ridiculous 2010 group at Memphis. Peters is a junior.. already committed to player for the Sooners.. CJ Fair heading to the Big East (Syracuse).. a few other D1 commits...

But, not the first time Northfield plays against very good talent this year. But... Brewster has some size.

edit: btw, I think Walker was a nominee for the McDonald's AA game, but didn't get chosen... Barton is only not in it because he is a 5th year player

More from Tubby and Marcus today on the PF search-

But it's not easy to find quality players available late in the recruiting period. One player the Gophers have strong interest in is 6-6, 230-pound Chicago native Michael Haynes, who is playing for the Heat Basketball Academy in Virginia.

"He's an undersized power player, very physical with a football-type build," said Rivals.com recruiting expert Jerry Meyer, whose service ranks Haynes as a three-star prospect. "He's a very good rebounder and controls space.

"Here late in the game, there are a lot of schools digging through the woodwork trying to find big guys, so he has a lot of interest from different schools. He's going to wind up in a high-major school most likely."

Heat Academy coach Jason Niblett said Haynes has a list of six schools, including Duke, Marquette, Xavier, South Florida and Minnesota.

Niblett said he spoke with Minnesota assistant coach Vince Taylor several times, including last week. He also said the Gophers have watched Haynes play.

"I'm not sure how much interest or not that (Haynes) has in the Gophers, so we'll have to wait and see," Niblett said. "Vince told me (Smith) wanted to chat about Michael, so when time permits we will definitely do that."

Other power forwards the Gophers have shown interest in are Calvin Godfrey of Robbinsdale Cooper, Jon Horford of Grand Ledge (Mich.) High School, Majok Majok of Northfield (Mass.) Mount Hermon and Maurice Walker of Brewster (N.H.) Academy.

At least they get to see both Majok and Walker play tonight.

Any relation to Longar Longar or Duany Duany?

cheers_with_nancy_cartwright.jpg

Majok scored 24 points on 10-13 shooting, had 11 rebounds and 3 assists against a very talented Brewster Academy team filled with D-1 talent. (players commited to Oklahoma, Syracuse, Memphis, and Iowa State and Rutgers) pretty impressive IMO.

Majok scored 24 points on 10-13 shooting, had 11 rebounds and 3 assists against a very talented Brewster Academy team filled with D-1 talent. (players commited to Oklahoma, Syracuse, Memphis, and Iowa State and Rutgers) pretty impressive IMO.

Suit him up!

Top Bottom