Gophers to announce outdoor hockey game at TCF Bank Stadium at Tuesday news conf

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand:

Outdoor college hockey is coming to the University of Minnesota

The Gophers announced this afternoon a news conference at TCF Bank Stadium set for 2 p.m. Tuesday. Sources said the announcement will confirm what has been speculated upon in recent months and intensified in recent weeks: an outdoor men's hockey game at TCF Bank Stadium this winter.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/221832781.html

Go Gophers!!

Reading the comments section, sounds like peoples' biggest gripe is the ice quality and not playing a traditional rival. But if ice condition is hard to anticipate, it's probably a good thing to play OSU. Keep the important games at Mariucci.

I think it's a cool idea and may look at getting tickets. My only gripe is calling it the Hockey City Classic.

I think it's a cool idea and may look at getting tickets. My only gripe is calling it the Hockey City Classic.

Why? The company that is organizing it is the same one that organized the Hockey City Classic last year in Chicago. They're attempting to make it a yearly traveling tradition in the same vain as the NHL Winter Classic.

Why? The company that is organizing it is the same one that organized the Hockey City Classic last year in Chicago. They're attempting to make it a yearly traveling tradition in the same vain as the NHL Winter Classic.
Yeah, I know. I had the same question last year in Chicago. So each year the host city is that year's Hockey City. Just seems like a peculiar name for the Classic.

per Shooter:

No one was happier to learn that Ohio State would be playing the Gophers in a men's outdoor hockey game on Jan. 17 at TCF Bank Stadium than Steve Rohlik.

Rohlik, 45, a former Hill-Murray hockey star and coach from St. Paul, is first-year head coach of Ohio State.

"Growing up on the playgrounds and skating my whole life outside, it's kind of ironic coming back and having an opportunity to play Minnesota in a big game under the lights; I think it'll be exciting for our program," Rohlik said.

Rohlik, who was a two-time hockey captain at Wisconsin, including the 1990 NCAA title team, said he didn't know how Ohio State was chosen to play the Gophers.

"I'm not positive, but it might have been just the scheduling," he said. "I know they (Gophers) had called down to our athletic department and asked if we would be interested and all that stuff; we certainly felt it was a no-brainer as far as the experience and being able to play Minnesota in that venue. It doesn't get much better than that."

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom