Gophers tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford ready to make bigger impact for P.J. Fleck's offense

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Not long after the Gophers hired back Kirk Ciarrocca as offensive coordinator last December, he sat in his office across from senior Brevyn Spann-Ford, reminded of the tight end's massive potential.

Ciarrocca coached Spann-Ford as a redshirt freshman in 2019 but left for the same coaching position at Penn State after that season.

In his return, Ciarrocca hopes to unlock the talent of one of the U's breakout candidates under coach P.J. Fleck in 2022.

After listening to Spann-Ford talk about a "big vision" for himself in that meeting last spring, Ciarrocca wanted only one thing: show me and not tell me.

"Since he walked out of my office that day, he's done nothing but show me that he's willing to do the work," Ciarrocca said.

With prototypical NFL tight end size — 6-7, 270 pounds — Spann-Ford has been attracting the attention of pro scouts since he arrived on campus as a two-sport standout from St. Cloud Tech in 2018.

Go Gophers!!

Is it possible Ciarrocca might actually use TE as a weapon in his offense?
Ciarocca never had someone like BSF in his time here previously (I know he had BSF but a much younger version). He had Pat Friermuth in 2020 and while Friermuth only played 4 games that year, he put up really good numbers when he played.

All of central MN waiting for this kid to breakout.
With some of the height the Gophers have had at TE, why don't I recall that nearly, indefensible corner route inside the 10? Given BSF's basketball hops, I would love to see a regular serving of 2 to 88 for a touchdown (or 2-points v. Ill).

He has the potential to be one of the best. He has more size than Maxx. Not sure about the speed but from what I’ve seen and heard from others it’s good. Hope he has a great year, would be good for our favorite squad!

He has the potential to be one of the best. He has more size than Maxx. Not sure about the speed but from what I’ve seen and heard from others it’s good. Hope he has a great year, would be good for our favorite squad!
He has to flash some more speed to get to the next level. He has looked really slow in his career so far.

He has to flash some more speed to get to the next level. He has looked really slow in his career so far.
Brevyn Spann-Ford has been timed at 4.74 and the NFL average is 4.70. If he can keep improving, he should get drafted.

As a comparison, Maxx Williams ran a 4.78 at the combine and Ron Gronkowski a 4.68 and both weighed less than Brevyn does now.

Brevyn Spann-Ford has been timed at 4.74 and the NFL average is 4.70. If he can keep improving, he should get drafted.

As a comparison, Maxx Williams ran a 4.78 at the combine and Ron Gronkowski a 4.68 and both weighed less than Brevyn does now.
I realize Sanford did him no favors but for someone with such physical tools he has really failed to make himself stand out on the field. From the moment Maxx stepped on the field you could tell he was headed to the NFL.

I realize Sanford did him no favors but for someone with such physical tools he has really failed to make himself stand out on the field. From the moment Maxx stepped on the field you could tell he was headed to the NFL.
Yep. I'm bullish on BSF but he has a long way to go to be anywhere close to Maxx.

If true, he's come a long way in the last few years. I've seen 4.8-4.9 range. I believe he was timed ~ 5 seconds when he was recruited.

His failure the past two years was in not convincing Fleck to allow him to take over game planning and play calling from Sanford.

This was also a failure on Fleck's part as well.

I've been told he is not a good blocker...:rolleyes:

Maxx was a beast. He had that it factor from day 1 with the Gophers. He liked to over power the defender and he could catch the ball. The hurdles added to his legend.

Maxx was a beast. He had that it factor from day 1 with the Gophers. He liked to over power the defender and he could catch the ball. The hurdles added to his legend.
He didn't steal the ball from the equipment bag. Somebody threw it his way.

Top Bottom