Missed-layup

Junior Member, a Senior Mind
Reaction score
Here is the remaining Gophers Schedule with projected outcome
Current record: (13-7, 4-4 Big Ten)

Sun, Jan 31 @ Ohio State (Gopher Loss)
Sat, Feb 06 @ Penn State (Gopher Win)
Thu, Feb 11 Michigan (Gopher Win)
Sun, Feb 14 @ Northwestern (Gopher Loss)
Thu, Feb 18 Wisconsin (Gopher Loss)
Sun, Feb 21 Indiana (Gopher Win)
Wed, Feb 24 Purdue (Gopher Loss)
Sun, Feb 28 @ Illinois (Gopher Loss)
Thu, Mar 04 @ Michigan (Gopher Win)
Sun, Mar 07 Iowa (Gopher Win)
Big 10 Tournament

Gophers Final record (18-12) = NIT Birth (likely 21-22 wins needed to make NCAA)
- We need to go 8-2 to finish the season to get to 21 wins
- Key games: We will have to win at least 4 of these games without losing any unexpected games to get to 21 wins:
- Wi at Home, Purdue at Home, OSU away, Ill away, Michigan away

I don't like our chances. The Big ten tourney could help if we win 2-3 but it will be tough.

Big 10 Tournament

Gophers Final record (18-12) = NIT Birth (likely 21-22 wins needed to make NCAA)
- Key games: We will have to win at least 4 of these games without losing any unexpected games to get to 21 wins:

I don't like our chances. The Big ten tourney could help if we win 2-3 but it will be tough.

Your predictions don't really mean anything at this point, especially without knowing whether or not Nolen is going to play. Why would they lose at Northwestern when they just beat them without playing a great game? Why do you assume a win at Penn State when Battle has dominated Devoe in the past and might light up the Gophers even more without having Nolen defending him? You assume Wisconsin will win at the Barn, but you have no idea whether Nolen or Leuer is going to play. Tough game to predict without knowing who is playing.

Everybody knows where they are at and where they need to get. I would describe your insight up to this point as nonsense (Tubby to Depaul, etc) but making predictions without knowing what will happen to Nolen is pointless.

Don't forget that Trevor and Royce may be returning yet this year. Could give the Gophers a big boost.

The main thing that is questionable about any of this is your apparent superstar status for Nolen. He just is not a factor. He might even be a negative factor.

The main thing that is questionable about any of this is your apparent superstar status for Nolen. He just is not a factor. He might even be a negative factor.

He leads the Big Ten in steals and is second in assists, he is a factor. Most Trolls are annoying, but Trolls that don't know anything are just sad.

Brother, I hear ya they are probably NIT bound, but to say nolen is a negative factor? Did you watch Devoe get handled against NW pressure D? Nolen is a better PG...Devoe is a better scorer...but Nolen is a better PG

I'm not that big of a Nolen fan. I don't think he is as valuable as people think. I would rather have the offense.

Don't forget that Trevor and Royce may be returning yet this year. Could give the Gophers a big boost.

Ya Ill believe that when I see it. It is unlikely at this point. It might be better to red shirt them. Do those red shirts have stripes with numbers across the chest?

Oh...it was so nice and quiet around here for the past few days...

You'll be kicked out like Bronco if you keep it up! Bronco had some tough times after he was booted out of here. Don't follow his rocky path.

I wouldn't count Tubby out yet. Getting to 20 wins has almost been automatic but I admit he has his work cut out for him the rest of the season.

You'll be kicked out like Bronco if you keep it up! Bronco had some tough times after he was booted out of here. Don't follow his rocky path.
You honestly have 0 idea what you're talking about re: Bronko, banning, the GH forum in general, etc.

You're too new to understand the history of this board, how it works; pretty much everything. I don't have problems with new posters, but I do have problems with new posters who constantly mouth off.

To each his own I guess...

You honestly have 0 idea what you're talking about re: Bronko, banning, the GH forum in general, etc.

You're too new to understand the history of this board, how it works; pretty much everything. I don't have problems with new posters, but I do have problems with new posters who constantly mouth off.

You use your Union thug gestapo style tactics to intimidate those who challenge the status quo in here. You don't like having your comfort zone challenged. That is fine, just know I'm going to push back and I'm not going to take it like the others. I'm going to speak my mind and have some good discussions in here with the rational ones who are here. Go pick on that other guy who you think is also me.

Big 10 Tournament

Welcome back, moron.

Who says he is knew?

Big 10 Tournament

Don't know why everyone is ripping you - based on how they have played these projections seem reasonable, although I think we can all agree they might win a game you predict a loss in and also may lose one you predict a win in. Gophs have not shown to this point an ability to sustain anything, and finishing 8-2 or even 7-3 seems like a long shot. Now if RW or TM get added to the mix things could really change, but I would have a hard time putting my eggs in that basket. To me Nolen is not a major difference maker, but his defense could win a game down the stretch...

Overall I agree with the post - "Likely NIT Bound" is legit at this point. Although I hope they are able to prove me wrong. A win at OSU Sunday would go a long, long way.

Your predictions don't really mean anything at this point, especially without knowing whether or not Nolen is going to play. Why would they lose at Northwestern when they just beat them without playing a great game? Why do you assume a win at Penn State when Battle has dominated Devoe in the past and might light up the Gophers even more without having Nolen defending him? You assume Wisconsin will win at the Barn, but you have no idea whether Nolen or Leuer is going to play. Tough game to predict without knowing who is playing.

Everybody knows where they are at and where they need to get. I would describe your insight up to this point as nonsense (Tubby to Depaul, etc) but making predictions without knowing what will happen to Nolen is pointless.

Did you know that the Gophers lost to Indiana and Portland?

Welcome back, moron.

Why is he/she a moron? I would like to know. Honestly, this person should be able to express his/her opinion without people hurling insults. If he/she thinks the Gophers are going to the NIT, so-be it. I'm assuming you think Minnesota is going to win 21-22 games and make it to the NCAA. Let's hear why you think this team can beat Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan and Illinois. Let's hear it...

You use your Union thug gestapo style tactics to intimidate those who challenge the status quo in here. You don't like having your comfort zone challenged. That is fine, just know I'm going to push back and I'm not going to take it like the others. I'm going to speak my mind and have some good discussions in here with the rational ones who are here. Go pick on that other guy who you think is also me.

That's so idiotic I don't even know where to begin. Wait, maybe I'll start with the fact that you are comparing people on a sports message board to the secret police of Nazi Germany. And by rational ones, do you mean other posters who think the general tendencies of this message board mimic those of the Gestapo?

At this point, I think it would be incredibly stupid to have either of them play the rest of this year.

We should save their eligibility and get another year out of each of them.

This year is essentially over.

Did you know that the Gophers lost to Indiana and Portland?

The original poster has already proven to know very little about the Gophers, their players, and why they would win or lose to anybody so I listed a few games and brought up reasons why they could win or lose to anybody. At least I knew what his point was, what is yours?

You'll be kicked out like Bronco if you keep it up!

Expressing an opinion is fine and we agree that the "you're a moron" responses are unnecessary and take us back to the Internet equivalent of 3rd grade spats on the playground.

But suggesting that Bronko was bounced off GH for simply expressing an opinion is plain wrong. (BTW, Bronko was one of the worst offenders of launching ad hominem replies to those who had an opinion contrary to his. But that wasn't why he was bounced either.)

Bronko expressed his disagreement in such a way that he violated the prohibition against "obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented" posts. He was warned several times and suspended for a period of time in hopes that he'd understand that our patience was wearing thin. He would periodically clean up his act after the warnings and the temporary suspension but then succumb to whatever impulses/idiosyncrasies/demons that overcame his common sense and self-editing.

Passion for the Gophers is great ... but it's not a license to say/write anything that one wants.

Don't know why everyone is ripping you - based on how they have played these projections seem reasonable, although I think we can all agree they might win a game you predict a loss in and also may lose one you predict a win in. Gophs have not shown to this point an ability to sustain anything, and finishing 8-2 or even 7-3 seems like a long shot. Now if RW or TM get added to the mix things could really change, but I would have a hard time putting my eggs in that basket. To me Nolen is not a major difference maker, but his defense could win a game down the stretch...

Overall I agree with the post - "Likely NIT Bound" is legit at this point. Although I hope they are able to prove me wrong. A win at OSU Sunday would go a long, long way.

Thanks for the moral support. There are many in here that are "homers", and unless you say exactly what they want to hear you get brutally attacked and assaulted. Its ridiculous and "they" attempt to quash dissenting opinions. Some reasonable voices in here help, that is why I like to see people like you at least speak up against this barbarianism. I've been called a "troll" more times, its crazy.

I, like you, hope the Gophers do prove me wrong. I want them to win, it just does not look likely this year. Things can change but the personnel the Gophs have at this point, just don't seem to have that extra gear.

The original poster has already proven to know very little about the Gophers, their players, and why they would win or lose to anybody so I listed a few games and brought up reasons why they could win or lose to anybody. At least I knew what his point was, what is yours?

Chi Town, what is your point? Do you think the Gophers are going to win it all? Going to the NCAA tourney, If so, why and how? Instead of verbally assaulting those you disagree with, why don't you provide some logic behind whatever thoughts, ideas, concerns, you might have as to either why people are wrong or why you are right...

Expressing an opinion is fine and we agree that the "you're a moron" responses are unnecessary and take us back to the Internet equivalent of 3rd grade spats on the playground.

But suggesting that Bronko was bounced off GH for simply expressing an opinion is plain wrong. (BTW, Bronko was one of the worst offenders of launching ad hominem replies to those who had an opinion contrary to his. But that wasn't why he was bounced either.)

Bronko expressed his disagreement in such a way that he violated the prohibition against "obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented" posts. He was warned several times and suspended for a period of time in hopes that he'd understand that our patience was wearing thin. He would periodically clean up his act after the warnings and the temporary suspension but then succumb to whatever impulses/idiosyncrasies/demons that overcame his common sense and self-editing.

Passion for the Gophers is great ... but it's not a license to say/write anything that one wants.

I appreciate the history of Bronco and how he got booted. I'm sure that was a tough time for a lot of people in here. What I would be concerned about most as a moderator of this room, who I'm sure you want to create a great forum to discuss Gopher BBall, is the general mindset of some of the members that verbally assault those that upset the "group" thinking that exists in this room. This "Group Think" is scary and leads to an almost cult like thinking and behavior which we witness against those who challenge it. Anyone who might suggest a "truth" outside the norm gets treated worse then "the fat kid at the bus stop" if you catch my analogy. Its sad, hurtful, and probably is due to some racism simply because I'm a "New Guy". I'm apparently going have to be the Rosa Parks of the "New Guys". I just ask, that as moderator, you protect my right to challenge the status quo, as long as I am civil, which I think you have witnessed on most occasions. I think the time is now, to bring in the truth or at least have the debate as to what the truth might be. Fair enough?

If Minnesota beats Indiana in OT, everyone in the country and on this board would be saying they are a shoe in for the NCAA tourney. So I guess 3 points in OT is the difference between a likely 7-9 seed come tourney time and NIT now. They have a chance to win every game left on the schedule (Ohio State being the toughest). I think it is likely that they win 7 of these games.
11-7 in the Big Ten is a LOCK to make the tourney (especially with a non-conference RPI top 25 win).....somebody want to list all the Big Ten team with 11 conference wins that have missed the tourney for me?
Anyone saying they need to get to 12 or 13 conference wins to be a lock is a moron. 11-7 gets MN in. 10-8 means they need to do work in the BTT.

probably is due to some racism simply because I'm a "New Guy". I'm apparently going have to be the Rosa Parks of the "New Guys".
This is exactly why people get angry with you Missed-layup.

You equate people disagreeing with you on an internet message board in 2010 with Nazi Germany, the Gestapo, racism, and Rosa Parks.

It's only my opinion, but I think these kind of remarks show an alarming lack of respect if you are really attempting to to posit your struggles to be accepted on Gopherhole with these historical wrongs.

I know you may be saying these things tongue-in-cheek, but since you have done it multiple times, I figured I'd address it. I'm think I'm usually as Internet-hip as the next guy, but I think you're overdoing it just a bit.

This is exactly why people get angry with you Missed-layup.

You equate people disagreeing with you on an internet message board in 2010 with Nazi Germany, the Gestapo, racism, and Rosa Parks.

It's only my opinion, but I think these kind of remarks show an alarming lack of respect if you are really attempting to to posit your struggles to be accepted on Gopherhole with these historical wrongs.

I know you may be saying these things tongue-in-cheek, but since you have done it multiple times, I figured I'd address it. I'm think I'm usually as Internet-hip as the next guy, but I think you're overdoing it just a bit.

If you don't want to be associated with Nazi tactics, overt racism, cyber-bullying then quit doing those things, albeit on a smaller level, and talk basketball. Its ok to disagree but say why you disagree and whatever other points you want to make about hoops.

Top Bottom