Gophers Rebounding

Over the entire game, Robbins and Curry combined for 2 rebounds total. Our two centers for the majority of the game (all of it maybe?) had two rebounds combined. Maybe it’s OK though because Robbins got 1 block in the game...

Over the entire game, Robbins and Curry combined for 2 rebounds total. Our two centers for the majority of the game (all of it maybe?) had two rebounds combined. Maybe it’s OK though because Robbins got 1 block in the game...

Soft. So soft. Robbins just gets pushed around....and doesn't really go up strong for boards.

Soft. So soft. Robbins just gets pushed around....and doesn't really go up strong for boards.
Agreed. And the rebounding stats are a symptom of the larger problem of bad interior defense.

Agreed. And the rebounding stats are a symptom of the larger problem of bad interior defense.

Certainly doesn't help that Pitino's offensive gameplan consists of everybody turning and running back on defense the second a shot goes up.

Minnesota is the team that took this shot, right? Isn't it fairly common for the defense to be in better position for rebounds? Because the defensive post players are going to be standing in between the offense and the basket? I won't say there isn't some big strategic issue with rebounding, but this gif is very short with little context.

Minnesota is the team that took this shot, right? Isn't it fairly common for the defense to be in better position for rebounds? Because the defensive post players are going to be standing in between the offense and the basket? I won't say there isn't some big strategic issue with rebounding, but this gif is very short with little context.
No, this was an Illinois shot and another second of video would show Illinois scoring with that rebound. I tried to include a longer gif, but the system doesn’t allow pics larger than 1 MB unfortunately.

No, this was an Illinois shot and another second of video would show Illinois scoring with that rebound. I tried to include a longer gif, but the system doesn’t allow pics larger than 1 MB unfortunately.

Yikes, if that is the case might as well go with five guards on the court, won't change your defense or rebounding much.

I know our offense was awful yesterday too, but I've said numerous times our D and rebounding are bigger concerns in B1G play. Offensively we can and will have days where everything falls no matter how ugly our lack of ball movement is. We cannot win more than 2-4 B1G games if we defend and rebound like we have been. I'm still willing to give some time to see improvement, but its gonna get ugly real fast if we don't see improvement quickly.

I hope that the coaching staff and players watch this game WITH AUDIO. The announcers were laughing at the Gopher offense and rightfully so.
And i was laughing at the announcers for not ripping our defense.

Clem used to run rebounding practice where the shot went up and it had to hit the ground 3 times before the rebounding team could touch it. That at least taught you to box out for a little bit.

Top Bottom