Gophers QB legend Adam Weber: "We were a good team that found ways to lose [with HC Tim Brewster]" | Full Interview

The Tim Brewster-Scott Frost parallels are eerie!
In all fairness to him, Scott Frost at least brought both coordinator and head coaching experience to the table. Tim Brewster had been just a position coach. Not saying that Frost is all that much better, but considering his experience and the fact that he had ties to the championship teams made the hire make more sense.

In all fairness to him, Scott Frost at least brought both coordinator and head coaching experience to the table. Tim Brewster had been just a position coach. Not saying that Frost is all that much better, but considering his experience and the fact that he had ties to the championship teams made the hire make more sense.
The Frost hire was a slam dunk move at the time, and nobody questioned it (nor should they have). That makes it all the more baffling just how truly awful he was.

The Brewster hire made sense to many at the time. He actually did deliver on what we thought his strength was, which was recruiting. Unfortunately the unknown parts of managing a coaching staff turned out to be his undoing as he bombed at that. I can’t recall with much accuracy, but I don’t remember his in game coaching being atrocious. Frost was a home run hire at the time, but Nebraska had the ability to hit a home run, we didn’t have the power to make that kind of hire. Even Fleck wasn’t viewed on the level of Frost back then.

The Brewster hire made sense to many at the time. He actually did deliver on what we thought his strength was, which was recruiting. Unfortunately the unknown parts of managing a coaching staff turned out to be his undoing as he bombed at that. I can’t recall with much accuracy, but I don’t remember his in game coaching being atrocious. Frost was a home run hire at the time, but Nebraska had the ability to hit a home run, we didn’t have the power to make that kind of hire. Even Fleck wasn’t viewed on the level of Frost back then.
It certainly was not good.

As someone who was on the headset at the time, I can say, he was lost.
Please tell us more...

giphy.gif

Wasn't it sort of a crunch time hire, though, because of when Mason was fired?

It certainly was not good.
Remember a 3rd and 3 against South Dakota and defensive backs were playing at least 5 yards off. Sure enough the Coyotes got enough for the first to close out the game. Similar attended a game in Wisconsin who was the like at the two and the corners weren’t close to line of scrimmage and a slant converted. May have the Bielama card says go for 2 game. Need to press in those situations.

Remember a 3rd and 3 against South Dakota and defensive backs were playing at least 5 yards off. Sure enough the Coyotes got enough for the first to close out the game. Similar attended a game in Wisconsin who was the like at the two and the corners weren’t close to line of scrimmage and a slant converted. May have the Bielama card says go for 2 game. Need to press in those situations.
I feel like I remember countless times guys being lines up wrong, illegal formation penalties, etc.

I feel like I remember countless times guys being lines up wrong, illegal formation penalties, etc.
Oh yeah probably right which is probably preparation in practice. Mine were specific situation were South Dakota is not going for a bomb and only need 3 yards. Wisconsin is at the goaline much closer than Detroit Lions against the Vikings last year. They aren’t going over the top. Play physical at line of scrimmage and make them beat you instead of giving a huge cushion.

Dunbar never had a goaline package which even Kirk brought back this year under center with a fullback.

Think of the career he could have had with a good HC
This is an example of where Adam could have gone to WI and probably been a multi-year started on some 10+ win teams and we'd be pining here on Gopherhole, "what could have been"....

better then tanner morgan
Really hard to compare the two. Weber was a better runner. Morgan is a little bit more accurate. Weber played under a few different OCs. Morgan played 2 years under 1 terrible OC known for ruining QBs. Weber played in some really pass-happy offenses. Morgan doesn't get as many attempts.

Brewster. It was weird. 1-11 in 2007. Just awful, but sort of competitive in many of the losses. Then what appeared to be a national story brewing in 2008 when the year began with some nice wins and a big win on the road at Illinois. Something really seemed to be building. Then, a crushing Masonesque heartbreaking loss to Northwestern. 2008 tailspinned after that. Soundly beaten by a very vulnerable Michigan team and finished out the Metrodome with one of the most embarrassing losses in program history (to Lois Feldman and her Iowa squad).

From that point it was like watching a fish out of water slowly die from lack of oxygen, punctuated by a few death wiggles in the net (Michigan State win in ‘09) before finally expiring in 2010.

I always felt Adam Weber and Erick Decker deserved a better college team to play on.

Brewster. It was weird. 1-11 in 2007. Just awful, but sort of competitive in many of the losses. Then what appeared to be a national story brewing in 2008 when the year began with some nice wins and a big win on the road at Illinois. Something really seemed to be building. Then, a crushing Masonesque heartbreaking loss to Northwestern. 2008 tailspinned after that. Soundly beaten by a very vulnerable Michigan team and finished out the Metrodome with one of the most embarrassing losses in program history (to Lois Feldman and her Iowa squad).

From that point it was like watching a fish out of water slowly die from lack of oxygen, punctuated by a few death wiggles in the net (Michigan State win in ‘09) before finally expiring in 2010.

I always felt Adam Weber and Erick Decker deserved a better college team to play on.
It’s crazy that for as bad as he was, he made a bowl game in 2 of his 4 seasons.

I wish Weber would have played in a more stable situation instead of annual changes in OC and offensive scheme. He might have proved to be Mason’s best QB if Mason hadn’t been fired.

The Brewster hire made sense to many at the time. He actually did deliver on what we thought his strength was, which was recruiting. Unfortunately the unknown parts of managing a coaching staff turned out to be his undoing as he bombed at that.
He was brought in to improve the caliber of players... which he was able to do. Couldn't figure out the coordinators situations, though... and when he did find a good one, he'd try to ram a square peg into a round hole (run the spread offense with Glen's 3 yds and a cloud of dust players.) Then it was coaching carousel time. That was his undoing.

At least PJ has been right on coordinators 50% of the time... which has allowed him to stave off the jackyls.

Weber was recruited to be the QB for Mason's offense for 4 years. During a rebuilding 2006 season, all we heard about all fall long was how good the redshirt freshman was grasping the offense and how good he was going to be in that offense. Then Mason got fired. Had Mason stayed, I believe Weber's stay at Minnesota would have been a MUCH different story, and Mason would have had his best years at the school also.

I wish Weber would have played in a more stable situation instead of annual changes in OC and offensive scheme. He might have proved to be Mason’s best QB if Mason hadn’t been fired.
Brew's biggest failing was the revolving door at the OC/DC positions, most notably the OC. And not just changing staff, but completely changing scheme/philosophy. With some stability there, he probably could have figured out the rest in due time if they had won a few more games.

Just way, way too much staff turnover in such a short period of time. That doomed the Brew era

Top Bottom