Gophers projected to NIT (for now)

They have us getting revenge from the "Secret Scrimmage" we apparently got beat badly in:

3. Oklahoma
6. Minnesota

Go Gophers!!

They have us getting revenge from the "Secret Scrimmage" we apparently got beat badly in:

3. Oklahoma
6. Minnesota

Go Gophers!!
Bring on the re-match. Oklahoma's been brutal lately. Perhaps they should have promoted Lon's kid.

Bring on the re-match. Oklahoma's been brutal lately. Perhaps they should have promoted Lon's kid.

Oklahoma is also still comfortably in the field so them being a 3 here is.....................not accurate.

Would 4-5 the rest of the way make the NIT?
I think they need 5-4 to make NIT
My (uneducated guess) is 5 more regular season wins (then maybe add one in Indianapolis) would get their NET to a point where they'd have a decent shot. That'd be 16-14 or 17-14. Iffy, but possible.

Somehow Oklahoma's NET ranking is still in the 40's.

The luxury of playing in a great leauge and doing well early. They might go 0-2 this week though and be in big trouble.

But yeah, if you do enough non con and then play in a true round robin league where 70% are going to the tournament its really hard to drop.

Xavier lost at home to DePaul and dropped like 2 spots

Will 13 wins get them into the NIT? I just don't see more than 2more wins for this team. They look exhausted, if the games were 20 min and not 40 min then maybe, I'm just trying to be realistic, this isn't about effort, just no depth and I think we all knew that going into this year, maybe next year's team will have a little more depth and get a few more conference wins then we can talk about tournaments

My understanding: If your record is under 500, you don't qualify. So if we are 500 we qualify, I think we could be selected depending on the competition. I assume the Big Ten Tournament counts on your resume.
For this NIT quest... beating Nebraska is pretty important which makes it very difficult to do. Nebraska ain't dumb, they will be motivated more than typically to get a win. Big test for Ben to prepare his team. Very hard game to win as a coach. Players think it's in the bag.

My understanding: If your record is under 500, you don't qualify. So if we are 500 we qualify, I think we could be selected depending on the competition. I assume the Big Ten Tournament counts on your resume.
For this NIT quest... beating Nebraska is pretty important which makes it very difficult to do. Nebraska ain't dumb, they will be motivated more than typically to get a win. Big test for Ben to prepare his team. Very hard game to win as a coach. Players think it's in the bag.
You think Nebraska will gain extra motivation because beating the gophers would hurt the gophers NIT hopes?

My (uneducated guess) is 5 more regular season wins (then maybe add one in Indianapolis) would get their NET to a point where they'd have a decent shot. That'd be 16-14 or 17-14. Iffy, but possible.
I would say if they can somehow sweep Penn State and NW, win in Lincoln and pick off IU on Senior day that would be good enough before the BTT. That would put them at 8-12. Otherwise split with NW or PSU, find away to win at Maryland Pre BTT if there 17-12, 8-12 in the big ten that should do it.

You think Nebraska will gain extra motivation because beating the gophers would hurt the gophers NIT hopes?
Nebraska is a wounded animal. Hoiberg big ten record is 5-46 (.098 winning percentage) However what this scenario reminds me of is when Clemson beat the doors off of us in 06-07, Monson got fired, but we came out with a different energy against Arizona State and won (There was a time where we would play back to back home non con games against High Major Teams, believe Iowa State visited the Barn that year as well, along with UAB who at the time was a decent mid major) Point is I have a feeling we are going to get Nebraska's best shot, they probably see this as an opportunity to get a win as well.

Last edited:

Gophers need to hurry up and win some games if they're going to make this field. It starts tomorrow against Nebraska. If you fail to beat the winless team, you can't make a convincing case for the NIT regardless of record or NET.

Gophers need to hurry up and win some games if they're going to make this field. It starts tomorrow against Nebraska. If you fail to beat the winless team, you can't make a convincing case for the NIT regardless of record or NET.
Amen.

Don't be "that" team that gets Nebraska off the schneid.

Do you think they need motivation beyond Fred's "Please help me outlast Scott Frost!" speech?
Fred on the hot seat? Is this year 2 for him? I pay very little attention to Nebrasketball

Gophers are 2-0 vs this field. I find it odd Mississippi State would not be in.

Because they likely have Miss State in the NCAA Tournament. They are above .500 in the SEC with several quality wins.

7-13 in the Big Ten would definitely have the Gophers sweating it out.

Love how a couple people laughed at this... 7 months ago none y'all woulda imagined the NIT (I know I didn't).... Would be huge.. a spring board if you will...
Plus the extra games for our returning starters like Battle and um.....Curry will be huge for next year. :cool:

Top Bottom