Gophers plan 3 day event for players of 1982 Big Ten Championship to celebrate 40 year anniversary, big group expected to attend

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Among those returning to Williams Arena for the Feb. 23 Gophers-Wisconsin game and the 40th anniversary celebration of Gophers coach Jim Dutcher’s 1982 Big Ten men’s basketball champions is Andy Thompson, the multi-Emmy Award winner who was an executive producer for ESPN’s colossal hit, “The Last Dance,” about Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls.

“We’ll have a good group and a good time,” Dutcher said.

That group is expected to include Trent Tucker, Randy Breuer, Jim Petersen, Zeb Howell, Cookie Holmes, Kelly Scott and Barry Wohler. Darryl Mitchell, who practices law in Sarasota, Fla., will attend barring a conflict. Tommy Davis, who spends time in Paris, is also a possibility.

Over three days, those 1982 Gophers will watch the current Gophers practice, meet with team boosters for a buffet dinner, attend the game against Wisconsin, then attend a brunch hosted by Dutcher at McCormick & Schmick’s.

“It should be fun,” said Dutcher, who resides in Bloomington. He has three daughters, all Minnesota grads, living in the Twin Cities.

Dutcher will turn 89 in April.

“I don’t take a pill of any kind or anything,” he said. “I’m trying to catch John Kundla.”

Kundla, the hall of fame former Gophers-Minneapolis Lakers coach, died at age 101 five years ago.

Is there a secret to Dutcher’s health?

“Your parents — you pick your parents well,” he said. “You get those long-living genes or you don’t. I do have arthritic knees, but nobody I know of died from arthritic knees. I had my (physical) exam two weeks ago, and the guy said you’ve got the blood pressure of a teenager. It was 116 over 60. So I’ve just been fortunate.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom