Gophers' PJ Fleck explains 'poise' vs. 'poison' at fall camp presser

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Wald:

But planning for the 2023 season started immediately after PJ Fleck and the Gophers beat Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl. Fleck met with his general manager, Gerrit Chernoff, to talk about the roster, the program and the vision moving forward. What would their slogan be for 2023, and how would they get their message across to players?

They decided on "poise," with the Gophers having to replace the likes of Mo Ibrahim, Tanner Morgan, John Michael Schmitz, Mariano Sori-Marin, Jordan Howden, Terell Smith and others. So as players worked out in the weight room or walked around the team facility this offseason, they often heard songs from the band "Poison" blaring.

"We knew this word poise – control and balance in hostile situations – and how can we get this message home? That’s where the Poison band came into play. We can play that any time they’re in the building and if they don’t have poise, they’ll have poison inside that locker room," Fleck said Monday. "They’ve all bought into it."

Go Gophers!!
https://gopherhole.com/boards/https:

It's good that Fleck can give the team something to believe in

I won't forget you, alumni, but life goes on.

Guys need to stand and sacrifice

If this happens there will be nothing but a good time.
Ok that's enough, back to the rocking horse for you.

This one misses the mark for me. All by itself, I can probably ignore it. But bring up a bunch of similar weird logic and I got questions.
This is the third time for me it has been a topic I have seen and each time it is explained by PJ or somebody else, I find it more illogical and more unacceptable.
Maybe it is the Northwestern hazing awareness but this just doesn't seem like something administration should endorse (allow). The timing of the other baseless accusations makes me go hmmm? What else are we doing?
The comment: "They've all bought into it." makes it worse for me. Like: I know it's bad but we convinced them it's good. Row the boat.

Last edited:

This one misses the mark for me. All by itself, I can probably ignore it. But bring up a bunch of similar weird logic and I got questions.
This is the third time for me it has been a topic I have seen and each time it is explained by PJ or somebody else, I find it more illogical and more unacceptable.
Maybe it is the Northwestern hazing awareness but this just doesn't seem like something administration should endorse (allow). The timing of the other baseless accusations makes me go hmmm? What else are we doing?
The comment: "They've all bought into it." makes it worse for me. Like: I know it's bad but we convinced them it's good. Row the boat.
Playing music to reinforce a concept is now unacceptable?

I think you're reaching on this one.

Every comment I've seen from people who played or coached high level sports said all this is standard. It's not a PJ thing.

This is not Northwestern. Music and acronyms =/= hazing. PJ is just a bit of an odd duck on his methods to reinforce a concept. But that's what it is, odd. Doesn't seem remotely wrong or bad.

Last edited:

I'm not a Gopher football player so this doesn't bother me one bit.

I think this is great. PJ is reiterating to 18 19 yo kids that that always need to have awareness, understanding, don't get lose your focus.

I always forget what I was like at 19 yo...I needed refocusing and reminders alot. He's identifying with the players on their level.

Playing music to reinforce a concept is now unacceptable?

I think you're reaching on this one.

Every comment I've seen from people who played or coached high level sports said all this is standard. It's not a PJ thing.

This is not Northwestern. Music and acronyms =/= hazing. PJ is just a bit of an odd duck on his methods to reinforce a concept. But that's what it is, odd. Doesn't seem remotely wrong or bad.
Okay, you are going to play in stadium with 100,000 people. You can’t communicate. You can’t hear. So you crank up Poison in practice and learn execution under adverse conditions. That’s normal.
Players cranking music of their choice is normal.
Coaches forcing players to randomly endure Poison cranked is not normal. Like he said in the presser, they got several requests to cease and desist and devilishly replied they’d cut back a little.
To me the timing isn’t good with the overall climate at the moment. We didn’t have a game 7 months out when this started. Poise or focus is much more a game emphasis. Sure practice is important but generally you overload guys to make the game easier.
What’s after Poison cranked to heighten focus and poise come the end of August?

without poise, you get poison. Deep stuff PJ, you're teaching concepts to these kids like how Davinci paints! Reminds me of Zimmer putting a bunch of ripped apart and "bloodied" stuffed cats in the vikes locker room to demonstrate "fat cats get slaughtered!"

Okay, you are going to play in stadium with 100,000 people. You can’t communicate. You can’t hear. So you crank up Poison in practice and learn execution under adverse conditions. That’s normal.
Coaches forcing players to randomly endure Poison cranked is not normal. Like he said in the presser, they got several requests to cease and desist and devilishly replied they’d cut back a little.
To me the timing isn’t good with the overall climate at the moment. We didn’t have a game 7 months out when this started. Poise or focus is much more a game emphasis. Sure practice is important but generally you overload guys to make the game easier.
Did you listen to the full press conference? PJ said right as the prior season wraps, he meets with the staff (one particularly person he mentioned) and comes up with a theme/identity that he thinks that next group of players needs.

In the past they've had to adjust it during spring ball because they missed the mark. This year he stated he got it right.

We're going to agree to disagree here. I'm team PJ.

Dude, relax.

I'm with you. I think it's cruel and unusual punishment to play Poison for more than a song or two. I'm surprised we didn't have guys portal out after the 20th rendition of "Talk Dirty to Me."
They were one of the worst hair "metal" bands. Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart is what they need

How about a Poison concert before a game somewhere outside the stadium or a post game Poison concert on the field?

How about a Poison concert before a game somewhere outside the stadium or a post game Poison concert on the field?
Poison is going to be in Hinkley Sep 8-9. Maybe they can be talked into a concert after the Nebraska game.

Poison is going to be in Hinkley Sep 8-9. Maybe they can be talked into a concert after the Nebraska game.
I'm sure they'd do it for the right price. This is where Yah-E needs to step up.

Top Bottom