Gophers offseason update: a look into the transfer portal | Gopherhole

Probably biggest question mark. A lot of it because he went to prep school, Looks to be very athletic but maybe a tweener Think coaching staff saw a great deal of upside. I’m excited to see what he can do.

I watched a good bit of a video of an Arizona Compass Prep game against another prep this year. Ola-Joseph came off the bench but this was a very good team (great team speed) and Ola-Joseph looked slow compared to most of the other players on his team. I think spending a year there probably was beneficial for him because of playing with and against higher level competition and also finding out what it's like to come off the bench.

I don’t remember much about the lead up to Henley’s commit (I seemed surprised: did it come out of nowhere?). But the 3 MN kids (still counting the wandering Ola-Joseph as a MN kid), we had serious competition for all of them and the fan base was excited to land them. I still am. There seems to be an awful lot of potential. So, I don’t worry too much about their immediate readiness. Some may play early, some may take some development. If they play early because they are great day 1, fantastic. If it’s because they are forced to play because we have not better option, it will mean we failed with these last few scholarships to land the immediate impact players that we need. So I’m watching the GH for news of who’s coming. Git ‘er done CBJ.

Dawson Garcia? Didn’t he leave unc for a family issue? If he wanted to play, wouldn’t Minnesota be the spot?
Will be interesting to see if he enters portal after unc loses. Reading that Kerwin entering the portal is a lock, even though he could possibly start next year with everyone unc will lose

If it’s because they are forced to play because we have not better option, it will mean we failed with these last few scholarships to land the immediate impact players that we need
Yeah I'm with ya. These guys can develop behind the scenes while we hopefully have better guys that come in to make us more competitive now. I don't think that's asking too much of Ben.

I disagree. I don't think positionless basketball really means that there are not any positions.

I think Payne can play with a stretch 4 next to him (Battle). I think Olo-Joseph could play next to Payne but I don't think we would ever put out a lineup where Olo-Joseph and Battle are our posts.

So maybe a better way of saying is that I think most of Payne's minutes will when he is our largest guy on the court and he is defending the opponents largest player.
Positionless basketball really only extends to the offensive side, defensively you're what you can guard

I don’t remember much about the lead up to Henley’s commit (I seemed surprised: did it come out of nowhere?). But the 3 MN kids (still counting the wandering Ola-Joseph as a MN kid), we had serious competition for all of them and the fan base was excited to land them. I still am. There seems to be an awful lot of potential. So, I don’t worry too much about their immediate readiness. Some may play early, some may take some development. If they play early because they are great day 1, fantastic. If it’s because they are forced to play because we have not better option, it will mean we failed with these last few scholarships to land the immediate impact players that we need. So I’m watching the GH for news of who’s coming. Git ‘er done CBJ.
Most of us learned about Henley after his commitment in December 10. He committed shortly after a visit so I presume some who follow official visits knew of this. We had only offered on November 27 so things moved quickly.

Positionless basketball really only extends to the offensive side, defensively you're what you can guard
Somewhat, many teams who play positionless basketball switch everything. It's the reason why big wings are so important to good defense. It's a question of who can you guard better than they can guard you. I think it's why Battle is a better 4 (IMO). He is big enough to be an OK defender of most PF but they really struggle defending him. So it's less about who he can defend because he'd probably defend a 3 better than a 4 and more about what position gives us a bigger mismatch than vice versa.

Top Bottom