Gophers offer Wake Forest transfer RB Justice Ellison

We already have a bell cow RB. Looks like PJ is looking for someone to do what he wanted Tyler to do. Return kicks, change of pace, not fumble.
Exactly. It’s a depth play. Taylor is obviously the alpha, and knowing PJ, will get 25+ carries per game. Do you want Jordan Nubin - who started 5th or 6th on the depth chart last year - as your only real backup besides true Frosh? I don’t.

We already have a bell cow RB. Looks like PJ is looking for someone to do what he wanted Tyler to do. Return kicks, change of pace, not fumble.
With his size (210 lbs vs. 185 lbs for Tyler), this guy looks like a combo-platter of what PJ wants Tyler to do and what Bryce Williams actually did, such as mentor younger RBs, give excellent pass protection in the backfield, run 5-10 plays a game, and maybe rumble downfield on a pass to the flat. PJ would be offering transfer RBs the chance to come in behind Darius Taylor, as depth, but with lots of rotational playing time. If PJ get the RB depth right, Taylor will run 25 times a game (not 40), and more importantly, Taylor will have plenty of gas left in the tank in the 4th Q of tough games, when we could need him the most.

Last edited:

Cheap. WF is most likely a program like the U and can’t compete in NIL WF also runs RPO - a little better than we could do with Hartmann back there.

look at what happened this season. it's understandable that Fleck and/or the RB coach might be a little concerned about making sure there is plenty of depth at the position.

the trick is keeping everyone reasonably happy.

the other question is whether this marks some kind of a shift away from the "developmental program" philosophy. I suspect Fleck would say "No" to that question, but at the same time, the Gophers do seem to be putting more emphasis on the portal in recent years.

Exactly. It’s a depth play. Taylor is obviously the alpha, and knowing PJ, will get 25+ carries per game. Do you want Jordan Nubin - who started 5th or 6th on the depth chart last year - as your only real backup besides true Frosh? I don’t.
Agree, depth is the concern…. Don’t want to be seeing DB’s back there when injuries mount.

With his size (210 lbs vs. 185 lbs for Tyler), this guy looks like a combo-platter of what PJ wants Tyler to do and what Bryce Williams actually did, such as mentor younger RBs, give excellent pass protection in the backfield, run 5-10 plays a game, and maybe rumble downfield on a pass to the flat. PJ would be offering transfer RBs the chance to come in behind Darius Taylor, as depth, but with lots of rotational playing time. If PJ get the RB depth right, Taylor will run 25 times a game (not 40), and more importantly, Taylor will have plenty of gas left in the tank in the 4th Q of tough games, when we could need him the most.
I feel like it's a replacement for Evans.

Need depth behind Darius. I did notice running backs coming in have nice size. The Illinois kid is listed as 220lbs the other 190. Not sure if Williams didn’t get the nod before Nubin because of his smaller frame

Must be sure of his ability to secure the football. If so, I for one will enjoy not stressing when the ball is handed off - especially on opening/early possessions.

look at what happened this season. it's understandable that Fleck and/or the RB coach might be a little concerned about making sure there is plenty of depth at the position.

the trick is keeping everyone reasonably happy.

the other question is whether this marks some kind of a shift away from the "developmental program" philosophy. I suspect Fleck would say "No" to that question, but at the same time, the Gophers do seem to be putting more emphasis on the portal in recent years.
I think PJ’s just filling a roster gap for 2024; wouldn’t read more into it. Every RB currently on the roster for 2024 is a developmental (HS recruit) player with at best only one season of playing experience. I think this offer reflects the fact that we lost two senior type players (B. Williams and Sean Tyler) plus a multi-year guy who wants a fresh start (Evans). Having someone with years of playing experience in such an otherwise young “room” is very desirable.

Cheap. WF is most likely a program like the U and can’t compete in NIL WF also runs RPO - a little better than we could do with Hartmann back there.

You do realize that Hartmann transferred to Notre Dame this past year, right?

You do realize that Hartmann transferred to Notre Dame this past year, right?
Yep, but for years he was making the rpo look a lot more balanced than we did as a low 3 star. Better coaching?

Yep, but for years he was making the rpo look a lot more balanced than we did as a low 3 star. Better coaching?
He didn’t make the rpo look more balanced, that’s a coaches decision.

Would be a good add. Doesn’t look like a home run hitter but looks like a good fit for our offense. Seems like a patient runner which seems to work better in our offense compared to Tyler and Bryce who are hit the hole and go types.

Top Bottom