Gophers offer JUCO PG Dre Mathieu, will visit May 3

like when Tubby ran off a couple players when he got here?

I'm not advocating that we show anyone the door, I'm just saying that these things happen from time to time if a new coach comes in and sees additional needs. It's not really on the level of 'creaning' unless it happens regularly during a coach's tenure

I agree with you. If we don't bring in more depth in the front court, then Oto and Mo will inevitably see increased minutes. I'm not advocating that we run them off, but if either one is a marginal contributor as Juniors and Rich brings in a good class of big men in 2014, then Oto or Mo may want to transfer and play immediately as a grad student (assuming they graduate in 4 years given they redshirted).

I really hope they're contributors as upperclassmen, but if it becomes a hand-writing on the wall situation and they graduate in 4 academic years and transfer, Wally focuses on track only, someone else leaves early (Andre), etc... there could potentially be more scholarships open. It's ok to recruit multiple guys now, but ultimately let players who are already on scholarship keep their scholarships, and if they want to go, you've got guys in the fold. I don't agree with 'house creaning' to it's fullest extent.

It's a little different with kids you didn't recruit IMO. Pitino never told anyone on this team's mothers anything.

I personally agree with this. Pitino didn't recruit these kids. If he doesn't feel players like Oto, Walker or Elliot fit his style of play then he's obligated to tell them so. Would a kid rather ride the pine or have the chance to play elsewhere? Plus, if Oto and Walker have already earned their degrees then we honored the scholarship IMHO. I see the dilemma and "ickiness" here but it is a reality.

I personally agree with this. Pitino didn't recruit these kids. If he doesn't feel players like Oto, Walker or Elliot fit his style of play then he's obligated to tell them so. Would a kid rather ride the pine or have the chance to play elsewhere? Plus, if Oto and Walker have already earned their degrees then we honored the scholarship IMHO. I see the dilemma and "ickiness" here but it is a reality.

Let them decide instead of pushing them out. While I understand that Pitino didn't recruit Mo and Oto, I'm always against pulling kid's scholarships.

Let them decide instead of pushing them out. While I understand that Pitino didn't recruit Mo and Oto, I'm always against pulling kid's scholarships.

If the kid wants to ride the bench then honor that scholarship but what kid would rather hit the pine than having the chance to actually play? That's all I'm saying.

Could Wally be given a track scholarship to open up another spot?

I agree with you. If we don't bring in more depth in the front court, then Oto and Mo will inevitably see increased minutes. I'm not advocating that we run them off, but if either one is a marginal contributor as Juniors and Rich brings in a good class of big men in 2014, then Oto or Mo may want to transfer and play immediately as a grad student (assuming they graduate in 4 years given they redshirted).

I really hope they're contributors as upperclassmen, but if it becomes a hand-writing on the wall situation and they graduate in 4 academic years and transfer, Wally focuses on track only, someone else leaves early (Andre), etc... there could potentially be more scholarships open. It's ok to recruit multiple guys now, but ultimately let players who are already on scholarship keep their scholarships, and if they want to go, you've got guys in the fold. I don't agree with 'house creaning' to it's fullest extent.

No his scholarship would have to be in the Higher revenue sport. Also track scholarships are usually partial scholarships so he would be foolish to trade a full ride for a partial.

Could Wally be given a track scholarship to open up another spot?

Only if he doesn't also play basketball.

The scholarship for a multiple sport athlete counts against the higher rated sport based on a hierarchy of perceived importance: a player playing football and basketball, for example, counts towards football. If Wally plays basketball and track, his scholarship has to count towards basketball as it is the second highest.

Here is a lengthy but thorough explanation.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/genrel/auto_pdf/comp101-4-multi-sport-sas.pdf

Freeman is the plumb of all the 2013 guys we're supposedly in on. Top-100 recruits don't often potentially fall into your lap during the spring signing period. If you sign him, then figure everything else out around that.

Starting lineup to start the season of Hollins, Hollins, Coleman, Buggs, and EE, with Freeman (starter in waiting?) the first guy off the bench. That top 6 wouldn't have a lot of size or girth, but there would be some versatile and interchangeable parts off the bench when adding in guys like McNeil and Ellenson. Still gotta' believe we'll add a big with some girth/athleticism before all's said & done this spring.

Freeman is the plumb of all the 2013 guys we're supposedly in on. Top-100 recruits don't often potentially fall into your lap during the spring signing period. If you sign him, then figure everything else out around that.

This basically sums it up. Odds that we land all 3 guys next year and will need 3 scholarships? Low.

Andre ended up being the 79th player in the 2011 class according to ESPN (for whatever the rankings are worth), and who knows where our team would be without him.

This basically sums it up. Odds that we land all 3 guys next year and will need 3 scholarships? Low.

Andre ended up being the 79th player in the 2011 class according to ESPN (for whatever the rankings are worth), and who knows where our team would be without him.

And Trey Burke was like #81 or something like that on ESPN.

Do we know btw, what the status is on Freeman? Timetable for decision, how he liked his visit, his interest level in Minnesota, etc?

Word was that Freeman's visit went very well. Other than that I don't know how likely it is we get him.

His tweets:

"Change of plans Tuesday is decision day time to end this stressful fun frustrating aggravating wonderful recruiting process haha"

Minnesota, Peppedine, Ole Miss RT“@j_kilometers: @DRIIIIIZZZZZYYY who all are you considering?”

Go Gophers!!

If I had an offer to go to school at Pepperdine for free, boy would that be an interesting proposition. Absolutely gorgeous campus/area.

tweeted that he would decide on Tuesday.

Pretty sure you are referring to the Mathieu tweet and not Freeman, unless Freeman tweeted the same thing. I haven't really heard much on the freeman front personally, which is weird considering he is the 2nd best class of 2013 recruit available according to espn rankings. Really hoping he commits here, would be a huge get.

Word was that Freeman's visit went very well. Other than that I don't know how likely it is we get him.

I saw that too, but I wonder how much you can take from that considering that nobody ever says their visit was so-so or didn't go very well!

If I had an offer to go to school at Pepperdine for free, boy would that be an interesting proposition. Absolutely gorgeous campus/area.

Yep, I had some relatives who went there. Very impressive campus.

Yes, if he left the basketball team altogether.

I was just thinking about this the other day. I don't know Wally personally, but I really wouldn't be surprised if chose to leave basketball for track. Just by reading his tweets, he seems really dedicated to high jumping. He's obviously very good at, too.

Do we think Dre's decision would have any affect on Freeman's decision? I'm thinking no since Dre is clearly a PG and Freeman is clearly a SG/wing.

Do we think Dre's decision would have any affect on Freeman's decision? I'm thinking no since Dre is clearly a PG and Freeman is clearly a SG/wing.

No, but for other reasons.

ecoperson said:
Here is a lengthy but thorough explanation.

Covers some main points that are still relevant, but your link contains very outdated information.

The Gophers visit obviously had a big part in his decision, he announced it was time to decide basically RIGHT after our visit. So either A) he was so impressed with us that he knew it was MN or B) knew right away he didn't want to be here. Hoping for A.

Do we really want this guy? I'm unsure. We already have McNeil and this Dre would take up a schollie next yr too. And besides the Big 3, we've seem to be making inroads on other top recruits. I'd hate to take away an open schollie in 14' for this guy.

Interesting way to announce this. Says to follow his teammates because they know something we don't, then a teammate tweets about committing to MN.

We certainly need some depth at PG.

But the better news would be a Freeman announcement that he'll soon be a resident of Dinkytown, not Wac(k)o.

Top Bottom