Gophers Offer D-Lineman NDSU Javier Derritt

Bad grades has absolutely nothing to do with it. Most FCS have as stringent requirements grade wise, as any Power 5 school. It’s more not having the size or quickness to compete.

"Most" not "all" huh? Nice try troll.:blah:

I would say it has quite a bit to do with size/quickness. But yes, on average the P5 probably have tougher academic requirements, but with many exceptions. NDSU is pretty easy to get into though. Similar to St. Cloud or Mankato. (I do still think you can get an excellent education at all 3 of those schools though)

I don’t see how that functions and how that addresses the reduction the minority student athletes being affected, which was the crux of my argument, as they are the majority of scholarship football players.

Yes, I’m aware.

Never said it would- that obviously wasn’t my argument kiddo; hyperbole doesn’t enhance your point or diminish mine.

If you’ve ever personally met someone who achieved a college education due to their athletic ability and wouldn’t have been able to otherwise, than maybe you’d have a different perspective. This is more of a qualitative change (from small things momma, big things someday come).

Just because something doesn’t change the world, doesn’t invalidate its worth nor provide rational for eliminating it.

There are certainly ways to modify the transfer portal and/or NIL without draconian measures (my perspective).

So the entity that cause the problem, is supposed to provide the solution - tests a hard pass for me.
I think you need some Xanax. Whoa!

I wouldn’t mind scholarships cut to about 55 = 2 deep on offense and defense plus special teams.

True but maximum roster size would.
Lowering the maximum roster size is probably unlikely. What is it? 85 scholarships and 110 or 120 guys? With 85 scholarships PJ said many, many times he didn't enough players. The spring portal makes guys who leave tough to replace sometimes. You can add football players but can you find an upgrade at nose tackle or QB or whatever position you have a hole at? Late spring/summer arrivals need to fit the culture lowering the pool of candidates.

It's football...lots of guys get dinged up. Other guys get homesick and quit or any of a million reasons they stop playing or transfer. I don't think it would be a popular decision to lower roster sizes.

I wouldn’t mind scholarships cut to about 55 = 2 deep on offense and defense plus special teams.
Cheerleaders would be suiting up. NFL has 53 plus 16 on the practice squad for 69. There are some exemptions that get that number a couple higher. Then each week NFL teams can just add guys to replace injured or suspended players. So they always have 70 some available guys in the hopper. The injured guy heals and they cut somebody but they still got 70 some who could be active and a bunch of injured guys trying to heal up....so in that 80 realm but with the ability to add somebody new off the street each week too.

Colleges can't add players once the season starts...can't replace injured or suspended players. PJ wanted more than 85 roster guys this past season. Colleges already have much less roster flexibility than the NFL. Lower the number from 85 and it would be uglier than this season was.

Yep. It's also how the FCS schools got better. They signed kids who either couldn't get into major schools because of bad grades and testing, and kids who were on the fringe of getting in but just didn't make it.
Jack Jones will likely disagree, but Jerry Kill mentioned this as an advantage when talking about his experience at Southern Illinois and to a less extent at Northern Illinois. FCS schools can take flyers on what used to be termed "non-predictors." And it must be admitted that when the U had General College, they also had a place for players considered at-risk academically (does anyone else here remember how Sid had coniptions when the U shut down General College?).

That doesn't mean all the players at FCS schools can't spell cat when spotted the "c" and the "a" or that FCS schools by and large are glorified high schools. Many of those schools have excellent academic programs. What it means is that student-athletes at the margin academically can often find a way into those schools and can't at the FBS level. That said, I'm sure some of the helmet schools find ways around academic hurdles if they want the kid bad enough.

Fleck can get any kid he wants, who meets the NCAA DI minimum standards, admitted to the U. Non-issue.

The U offers remedial (lower than 1000 level) classes.

Inaccurate. There’s a dramatic difference on entrance qualifications for football between Minnesota and Nebraska. Wisconsin has higher standards than Minnesota as well.

Jack Jones will likely disagree, but Jerry Kill mentioned this as an advantage when talking about his experience at Southern Illinois and to a less extent at Northern Illinois. FCS schools can take flyers on what used to be termed "non-predictors." And it must be admitted that when the U had General College, they also had a place for players considered at-risk academically (does anyone else here remember how Sid had coniptions when the U shut down General College?).

That doesn't mean all the players at FCS schools can't spell cat when spotted the "c" and the "a" or that FCS schools by and large are glorified high schools. Many of those schools have excellent academic programs. What it means is that student-athletes at the margin academically can often find a way into those schools and can't at the FBS level. That said, I'm sure some of the helmet schools find ways around academic hurdles if they want the kid bad enough.
Inaccurate. There’s a dramatic difference on entrance qualifications for football between Minnesota and Nebraska. Wisconsin has higher standards than Minnesota as well.

Speaking of "inaccurate"..

Oh and Youngstown State, North Dakota State, Austin Peay and UT Martin must have higher standards than the Big Ten, ACC and the Ivy League too huh?

Which was the only point of this exercise. Size and talent keep most kids who want to play at BCS schools but can't, out. Most FCS schools at the top seem to always be able to get those kids in. go down the list and it evens out.

Now the trolls and cherry pickers will figure out a way to ignore the post and choose instead to misinterpret the point.

Now everybody needs to watch today's Bowl Games. Unless of course you don't care about BCS games except to whine about them.

To everybody else have a Happy New Year.

At least until this subject comes up again..

Those 100 guys, very largely, are only transferring if they're not playing. So they're going to be transferring now, in the new system, anyway. So they are getting spread around.
I agree. Good players that are sitting too long or playing down a level, like this kid, just transfer now. I'd like to see the portal period changed to improve the bowls (part of the product TV is selling) and get the players cut in on TV revenue. Then just leave things for a few years to see how they mature before more changes.

Top Bottom